41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

I've been lurking for a while and decided to join your conversation.

I managed to pick up more than 4 of these from Toys R Us (.ca) on the weekend.  I got a magic "back in stock" email at 1 AM and was up at 6 AM.  I ordered what I thought was reasonable and yet not totally greedy.  I had been reading with envy all of you who were able to just walk into a Lego store and buy 2+ each time, because we don't have a Lego store here!

I'd be happy to even get $400 for each of the ones I want to sell, to pay for some that I'm keeping for myself, other members of my family, and friends (gifts).  The sets here cost more than in the USA ($283 including taxes) with the CDN/USD exchange almost at par, it's basically $280 USD.

So far I haven't had a bite on Bricklink and Kijiji at $400.  I wonder what's happening to the market value on this item...  at least I'll have 90 days to return to Toys R Us if it tanks!   ;)

Locutis

In my Opinion these are not being bought and sold locally for 400 on Craigslist. The real value at this time seemed to be selling to international buyers specifically the UK and Hong Kong. I do not think many end user US consumers are buying this for 400. Yet...There are some US investors resellers and Brickpickers buying these up online through ebay and bricklink to sell internationally or to stockpile for a year or two down the road. If this makes many wish lists come Christmas time there may be some parents willing to fork out the cash for one on CL since it is and will be SOLD OUT on LEGO Shop at Home.

In my Opinion these are not being bought and sold locally for 400 on Craigslist. The real value at this time seemed to be selling to international buyers specifically the UK and Hong Kong. I do not think many end user US consumers are buying this for 400. Yet...There are some US investors resellers and Brickpickers buying these up online through ebay and bricklink to sell internationally or to stockpile for a year or two down the road. If this makes many wish lists come Christmas time there may be some parents willing to fork out the cash for one on CL since it is and will be SOLD OUT on LEGO Shop at Home.

I think you are absolutely correct - with most of them going to our buddy Mark over in the UK who is looking to get as many as possible - up to 500.

BTW He is still looking for them, so if you really want to get rid of yours I have his contact info (PM me).

I am still gonna keep mine though banking that in the future this set will be worth money.

In my Opinion these are not being bought and sold locally for 400 on Craigslist. The real value at this time seemed to be selling to international buyers specifically the UK and Hong Kong. I do not think many end user US consumers are buying this for 400. Yet...There are some US investors resellers and Brickpickers buying these up online through ebay and bricklink to sell internationally or to stockpile for a year or two down the road. If this makes many wish lists come Christmas time there may be some parents willing to fork out the cash for one on CL since it is and will be SOLD OUT on S@H.

How are so sure it will be sold out on S@H come Christmas?

Sets have come back before after being sold out, don't give up on this one so easily, no one really knows what's gonna happen with this set or any set for that matter.

Does anyone think it would be possible for Lego to make more mr golds too :) Maybe as a promo. Wink Wink  It does seem this was really limited to 20,000 because the unique plate and Mr gold also having the unique code. The TLG have in the past broken their Limited edition status and went back to produce more of a Sold Out Set. Specifically the Minecraft set after it was limited in the cussoo program to being only 10,000 made there was no unique identifier in this case and very high demand( high secondary market prices).So I gues no one knows for sure I could see a recolor or something but that 41999 box and set is special and dont think they will release anything exactly the same or anything similar for a while.I do not see it ever being worth less then 350-400..I also do not see there still being stock of the 20,000 but who knows...

There is absolutely no way of truly knowing what is going to happen with this set. A Lego employee told me the other day that the next 10,000 will be released in Nov. Take everything with a grain of salt. But it just helps reinforce the fact that I'm not sure that anyone knows what's next for this set. I'm still holding on tight to mine for a while. I sold two to Mark, but I don't want to sell anymore for a while now, or at least until after all of the dust finally settles.

Someone is asking me to ship to Honk Kong from BL.  Do you think it is ok and if so, what kind of shipping should I use?  I am assuming paypal for payment?

Have you dealt with this customer before? Do they have good feedback? Have they left good feedback for others?

If they look legitimate then I don't think there should be an issue. Just be aware however anytime you accept paypal and they use a credit card for payment they can dispute the transaction within the next 180 days with their credit card bank. All they have to say is you shipped them an empty box and you have no recourse whatsoever. Their credit card bank will get the money back from paypal and then paypal will debit your attached bank account or credit card without any warning or send you to collections if neither has the funds available. 

Judging feedback is critical in these situations. If it is for just one crawler and they have a good history on BL the risk is very small so I would say go for it. If it is for over $1k worth of sets and you don't know them then ask them to wire you the money instead and do not accept paypal or any other credit card processor. 

Personally I have sold a boatload of crawlers to known customers in Honk Kong via Paypal without issue. Even then I make sure they pay as a personal payment so they cannot claim a SNAD case and make sure they use available funds so they cannot do a chargeback. The international market is so much better to sell to than North America but make sure to do your research and always expect the worst from every transaction. Hong Kong has an open port so no need to make bogus claims of gifts on your customs documents. Declare full value and insure for full value.

• Like 2

Have you dealt with this customer before? Do they have good feedback? Have they left good feedback for others?

If they look legitimate then I don't think there should be an issue. Just be aware however anytime you accept paypal and they use a credit card for payment they can dispute the transaction within the next 180 days with their credit card bank. All they have to say is you shipped them an empty box and you have no recourse whatsoever. Their credit card bank will get the money back from paypal and then paypal will debit your attached bank account or credit card without any warning or send you to collections if neither has the funds available. 

Judging feedback is critical in these situations. If it is for just one crawler and they have a good history on BL the risk is very small so I would say go for it. If it is for over $1k worth of sets and you don't know them then ask them to wire you the money instead and do not accept paypal or any other credit card processor. 

Personally I have sold a boatload of crawlers to known customers in Honk Kong via Paypal without issue. Even then I make sure they pay as a personal payment so they cannot claim a SNAD case and make sure they use available funds so they cannot do a chargeback. The international market is so much better to sell to than North America but make sure to do your research and always expect the worst from every transaction. Hong Kong has an open port so no need to make bogus claims of gifts on your customs documents. Declare full value and insure for full value.

When you say personal payment is that the same thing as sending money as a "gift"?

Paypal did away with specific "gift" payments. Now they categorize all payments not for goods or services as "personal payments". However it does not matter what they are called the purpose remains the same - not allowing the buyer to file a SNAD case against you through Paypal. Be aware your buyer can still use a credit card thru Paypal to make a personal payment and could still potentially do a chargeback within the next 180 days with their credit card bank stating an unauthorized charge. No written signature means the buyer wins the case 100% of the time. I know my buyers and tell them available funds only. I trust them on this as we have an ongoing relationship and it saves 4% on their end.

If you are doing a large transaction from an unknown buyer overseas then doing a wire transfer is the only smart way to do it. You could take a gamble but you may also lose your items and funds. Domestically I will take credit card payments for large transactions as I can either pay my buyer a personal visit or bust them for mail fraud. Both threats keep the scammers inline.

• Like 2

if you are super worried, do ebay w/ GSP.  If you don't want it to bite out of your wallet, it's a gamble.  Up to you.

If they pay for your ebay transaction thru Paypal using a credit card then they have 180 days to do a chargeback with their credit card bank. No written signature means the buyer wins 100% of the time if they state unauthorized use. Ebay, GSP or Paypal offer no protection for a chargeback stating unauthorized use. Never ever use Paypal for large transactions for buyers you do not know (regardless if it is ebay, BL, BO or any other site)- only wire transfers.

If they pay for your ebay transaction thru Paypal using a credit card then they have 180 days to do a chargeback with their credit card bank. No written signature means the buyer wins 100% of the time if they state unauthorized use. Ebay, GSP or Paypal offer no protection for a chargeback stating unauthorized use. Never ever use Paypal for large transactions for buyers you do not know (regardless if it is ebay, BL, BO or any other site)- only wire transfers.

That's not accurate.

eBay and PayPal (GSP or not) will protect you from unauthorized use charges if you shipped to the address the buyer provides through PayPal AND you have an online viewable tracking method showing it's been delivered, plus a viewable online signature at time of delivery for shipments worth over $250. When unauthorized use comes through and you've done everything right, PayPal takes the hit, not you the seller.

When the buyer claims "significantly not as described" it gets a little dicier - eBay will protect sellers with great track records much of the time, PayPal is iffier, but keep in mind that buyers who pull this type of thing more than once or twice do get flagged by eBay, PayPal, etc.

Now, to GSP, they DO offer additional item-not-described protection over shipping it yourself. Once the item is shown delivered to Kentucky, they will cover you against many/most not-as-described and not-received claims both (again, provided you have a good track record and have not been a problem yourself). With SNAD claims, the buyer must return the item, if you get back an empty box, you have recourse to report the buyer and will likely win if you're a good seller with a good track record.

Wire transfers are very safe as well, and you will not have to jump through any eBay or PayPal hoops if something goes bad, so the advice to use these with buyers you're not sure of is good.

That's not accurate.

eBay and PayPal (GSP or not) will protect you from unauthorized use charges if you shipped to the address the buyer provides through PayPal AND you have an online viewable tracking method showing it's been delivered, plus a viewable online signature at time of delivery for shipments worth over $250. When unauthorized use comes through and you've done everything right, PayPal takes the hit, not you the seller.

When the buyer claims "significantly not as described" it gets a little dicier - eBay will protect sellers with great track records much of the time, PayPal is iffier, but keep in mind that buyers who pull this type of thing more than once or twice do get flagged by eBay, PayPal, etc.

Now, to GSP, they DO offer additional item-not-described protection over shipping it yourself. Once the item is shown delivered to Kentucky, they will cover you against many/most not-as-described and not-received claims both (again, provided you have a good track record and have not been a problem yourself). With SNAD claims, the buyer must return the item, if you get back an empty box, you have recourse to report the buyer and will likely win if you're a good seller with a good track record.

Wire transfers are very safe as well, and you will not have to jump through any eBay or PayPal hoops if something goes bad, so the advice to use these with buyers you're not sure of is good.

Can someone move these posts to a different thread? I feel like there's a lot of PayPal/eBay info that would be helpful but it's all hidden in this monstrous 41999 thread.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

My last 2x back-ordered 41999s just arrived this morning from LEGO Shop at Home in perfect condition! :yahoo:

I'm not sure if I can part with these last 2 yet but, I'll consider any GENEROUS "cash on collection" offers from the UK only. :money:

I've got 4 others that are yet to arrive from people that ordered on my behalf but, I won't hold my breath.

Since this topic has such a "long" discussion, sorry, it is very hard for me to find an answer or good advice....

I so "fortunately" sold one to an Ebayer with zero feedback and the address of this specific Ebayer is in Russia. I have read before in the forum about zero feedback Ebayers are those you want to avoid to sell to because they more likely to be scammers (meaning using stolen credit cards...)

I emailed the buyer via Ebay asking for his or her address "in English". If he or she could provide the address, what should I do next? I do not want to take any chance to get into trouble.

Since this topic has such a "long" discussion, sorry, it is very hard for me to find an answer or good advice....

I so "fortunately" sold one to an Ebayer with zero feedback and the address of this specific Ebayer is in Russia. I have read before in the forum about zero feedback Ebayers are those you want to avoid to sell to because they more likely to be scammers (meaning using stolen credit cards...)

I emailed the buyer via Ebay asking for his or her address "in English". If he or she could provide the address, what should I do next? I do not want to take any chance to get into trouble.

I have shipped to tons of 0 feedback buyers and never had a problem - normally their payment takes a while to clear but otherwise they are good. 

Larger transaction, I am not so sure. I think you are pretty well protected with Ebay, but there are a lot of scams. I might try to talk to the person first.

Same thing happened to me yesterday as I had a 0 feedback buyer from Bulgaria. I sent him a message requesting address verification and once I got it I sent the set. I used insured international shipping and already provided the tracking number to ebay and the buyer.

Crossing my fingers that this doesn't turn out to be a scam.