41999 - 4x4 Crawler Exclusive Edition

Rich B

You got my hopes up thinking they'd ship them here

Sorry mate. I take it you are yet to get one of these?

Mind you, I have no idea what the cost will be to ship it to me...will certainly eat into the difference between buy and current sell. But I am thinking that this is one I will hang on to anyway.

Sorry mate. I take it you are yet to get one of these?

Mind you, I have no idea what the cost will be to ship it to me...will certainly eat into the difference between buy and current sell. But I am thinking that this is one I will hang on to anyway.

Nah I got 2, but I don't know many people who would say no to another

2 quick points:

1 Shouldn't everyone be complaining that TRU "jacked up" the price $40 over retail? (oh wait, different thread)

2 TRU has done this before (relisted items that were sold out) and cancelled everyones order.

I hope for everyones sake that got one that the order is not cancelled.

You mean your credit card got charged then they waited 45 days before they notified you that your order was cancelled??

I believe it. A while back I ordered on the tru website and paid via paypal balance. They cancelled the order the next day, but it took 2 weeks to get my paypal refund. God they suck at life.

Thats strange.... I got an email just now saying they are shipping out. But I got 2 emails saying they are refunding both. Oh well... dont know whats going on. Let see if it gets to my home safely. Thanks again for the info.

I had that happen with oakley sunglasses.  They sent me the sunglasses and refunded me.  kept my mouth shut :jig:

I'm still quite confused about this set.  I missed out in the initial offering from LEGO Shop at Home, and not having a Lego store anywhere near me, I was out of luck.

In the weeks after initial release, I saw prices surge past $400 and wrote this set off my list (I wasn't willing to pay that much for one).  Over the course of 6-8 weeks, people continued to be able to buy these up at retail, including local Lego stores, which irritated me (as I don't have that option).

Through a very big blessing, I was able to receive the notification that Toys R Us (.ca) had some back in stock early in the morning several weeks back.  I bought 1, then 2 more (for my son, and a friend), then realized I wasn't logged into any account when I ordered, and ordered several more within my account so I could properly track the order(s) in case some got cancelled.  To my amazement TRU shipped my sets a few days later, and I got them.

TRU.ca charged Canadian retail for the sets (249.95), plus 5% GST and 8% PST.  That came out to $283 CDN.  I have been trying to sell them on several sites, including Kijiji now for 3+ weeks at $350 and no dice.  Not one inquiry or order.  Where are all the real buyers of this set?

I'm debating on returning some back to TRU as Technic isn't my usual forte (though I do collect these big motorized sets, I don't want an army), I collect Town and City and Creator sets.  I have no problem keeping 3 Grand Emporiums (worst case I open and build them), but keeping several of these sets would upset me.

Given the fact that the other sites have prices in the $400+ range, plus shipping to Canada ($50+) plus customs would charge 5%+8%, I can't see why I can't even sell ONE in a city of 800,000 for $350, which is only $67 over cost.

In my opinion, the market on this set is extremely skewed towards the resellers/flippers.  I've had experience reselling rare sets, and it's nothing like this.  I've sold modular buildings after retirement, Emerald Night sets, Creator and Town houses, all for 50% over issue, to more than 5x issue, and there's always interest in these sets.

I know everyone will say "hold them and after a few years it will be a good investment", however, I can't seem to see that.  If the typical Technic builder/collector isn't buying these up like hotcakes at $350, how will more time make any difference?  At least with my Green Grocers, my Emerald Nights, etc., there was supreme demand in the months following, and I still have demand every few months.

I do have 16 years of marketing and pricing experience with another market that is similar to this one, (I am the Director of a corporation for a distributor of a collector's product), and analyzing the sales numbers on this set now after some time has passed provides a very disturbing outlook.  At work I developed a proprietary system of analyzing sales and pricing data, over a period of time, and providing an analysis of sales forecast.  I have applied this knowledge to my Lego investing, and have been pretty successful.  I jumped the gun when I saw this set, without knowing what the real sales of it were.  

I believe in 18 months leading up to 2-3 years, no one will even care about this set.  Just like flippers and mass resellers have started to ruin the market I'm involved with outside of Lego, so are some flippers ruining the Lego market, in my opinion.  Why did I get involved in reselling? Because I was ripped off by a seller on Bricklink from Quebec, and decided to make back some of that loss ($600 of my son's saved up allowance, birthday, and Christmas money) by honestly reselling discontinued Lego sets locally so I can help others not get ripped off.  I don't buy Lego to resell to make a ton of money, I buy what I like and what I think others will like at a moderate markup to help pay for my hobby.  I own 4 Delorean sets, all of which will be built.  I own 2 Pet Shops, both built.  I own 4 Grand Emporium sets, 1 built, 3 sealed in boxes.  If I decide not to sell them, I won't, and I'll just build them for my own Lego displays.  If they become worth $300+ on the market, then so be it, someone can buy them from me.  I hold nothing waiting for extreme profits, I sell in stages to help offset other costs.

Why did I buy several Technic Crawlers?  I don't even know now...

Locutis