Star Wars: Rebels

Darth Lego

Pretty much yes. She leaves the Order and doesn't show back up (on screen) until the last episode of Rebels Season 1. Not sure if she shows up in print anywhere but I don't believe she does.

Damn that's sad. When she last saw her master, he was still someone she respected and looked up to. She never got to see him fall into the dark side and turn into Vadar. 

I'm really excited for season 2 now! 

But I still think Clone wars had the better battles. There were some epic fights which I don't think Rebels will ever be able to replicate. Because Clone wars had all the Jedi masters that we have grown to know. Obi wan, Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Shaak Ti, etc...

All Rebels has so far are a rogue Jedi who isn't even that good of a fighter and his apprentice.

Edited by Nawoo

Damn that's sad. When she last saw her master, he was still someone she respected and looked up to. She never got to see him fall into the dark side and turn into Vadar. 

I'm really excited for season 2 now! 

But I still think Clone wars had the better battles. There were some epic fights which I don't think Rebels will ever be able to replicate. Because Clone wars had all the Jedi masters that we have grown to know. Obi wan, Mace Windu, Kit Fisto, Shaak Ti, etc...

All Rebels has so far are a rogue Jedi who isn't even that good of a fighter and his apprentice.

Totally agree. Clone wars is an exceptionally good series. Very good stories/writers, awesome battles and lots of familiar faces. Rebels has got a lot to do to catch up. Season 2 should be awesome. I just can't get myself to like the cartoon style they used all that much. Prefer clone wars style. And those storm troopers are a joke. Captain Rex would surely laugh at them.

I have to say Rebels is Da Bomb and they keep amping it up every episode

I agree. Star Wars Rebels has much more atmosphere than Clone Wars.

And those storm troopers are a joke.

You think the stormtroopers are a joke, sure they are... but well these clones fought against.................. here it comes.......... very very stupid droids.

It doesn't matter how hard the training is (we've seen part of that in season 1) or how exact their aim is (OT Obi Wan says it) because no matter how many they are they are just not supposed to win whereas that one stupid gungan is not supposed to die... can't recall stormtroopers in OT being any smarter than in Rebels. Neither the clones in clone wars (or the droids...). Only that the clones in clone wars had a different story to tell.

So I'm just accepting these issues and enjoy the show. The graphic got me too at the beginning... but after a while it's going and you got used to it. Only thing I have been really really disappointed in: The Wookies... these have been made very poorly in my opinion.

I always enjoy the stronger antagonists though and am very hopeful for the new inquisitors (also hoping for LEGO ones!) and for Vader as he just cannot lose per definition! So it's great that they can struggle as much as they want in rebels but they'll lose in the end (well they will win okay... but you know what I mean ;-) ). I'm curious about how disney will resolve this as there are no Jedis supposed to be alive later on. So maybe they're fighting elsewhere or hiding (wouldn't be their style though to hide) or worse.

With all this LEGO goodness going on thanks to rebels (I really like many of these sets!) I hope that this show is in for a long run!

p.s. did anybody check out the NEW comics? Have been reluctant to start because strangely they don't have all published issues available online o.O (like issue 7 or so is missing while 8 and 9 etc. are available o.O ).

Totally agree. Clone wars is an exceptionally good series. Very good stories/writers, awesome battles and lots of familiar faces. Rebels has got a lot to do to catch up. Season 2 should be awesome. I just can't get myself to like the cartoon style they used all that much. Prefer clone wars style. And those storm troopers are a joke. Captain Rex would surely laugh at them.

I absolutely hated the plastic puppet look of Clone Wars from the first couple seasons. They softened the characters later and had them emote more, but in the beginning they looked awful. I also felt like the first season just sort of wandered aimlessly and did not draw some viewers in.

My kids really didn't start digging Star Wars until Rebels. They'd much prefer to watch Rebels or the LEGO Star Wars stuff than Clone Wars or the films. I honestly count that in favor of the show. I got tired of watching Star Wars stuff only when no one else was wanting to watch something.

I always enjoy the stronger antagonists though and am very hopeful for the new inquisitors (also hoping for LEGO ones!) and for Vader as he just cannot lose per definition! So it's great that they can struggle as much as they want in rebels but they'll lose in the end (well they will win okay... but you know what I mean ;-) ). I'm curious about how disney will resolve this as there are no Jedis supposed to be alive later on. So maybe they're fighting elsewhere or hiding (wouldn't be their style though to hide) or worse.

If there's one thing that the entire series taught us, it's that Obi-Wan and Yoda lie to Luke. Either that or they have highly selective memories. The things that they say to motivate Luke to face a much better trained, dangerous, evil man cannot be taken at face value. Luke's training consisted of at most swinging a saber around in the Falcon, a few weeks of lifting rocks and doing handstands, and a lot of training himself. Whereas Obi-Wan and Anakin, and presumably every other Jedi had a couple of decades of one on one training with an experienced Master. Yet Yoda told Luke that his training was complete? Obi-Wan said that the Jedi were all but extinct, meaning, not extinct. He didn't give numbers. Kanan might not fall under his or Yoda's definition of Jedi since he ran and hid and had not completed his training. Ahsoka was not a part of the Jedi order when the clone Wars ended, so she's probably not considered Jedi.

Ratings, and reviews clearly show how much better The Clone Wars was (not the CW movie, that wasn't very good).

It's not just the fans, and critics - The producers of the show know it. They absolutely loved creating the Clone Wars, and would often be brought to tears during interviews discussing events which take place within the show - That isn't gonna happen with Rebels.

Why do you think they are bringing back lots of CW characters (even connecting Hera to the CW)? Aside from trying to get the CW fans to watch, I think that the producers of the show need it, to give themselves a reason to care about what they are creating.

BTW - We still watch Rebels, and enjoy it. It's just that the anti-CW posts (many of which are from people that didn't really watch it) drive me crazy.

• Like 2

Ratings, and reviews clearly show how much better The Clone Wars was (not the CW movie, that wasn't very good).

It's not just the fans, and critics - The producers of the show know it. They absolutely loved creating the Clone Wars, and would often be brought to tears during interviews discussing events which take place within the show - That isn't gonna happen with Rebels.

Why do you think they are bringing back lots of CW characters (even connecting Hera to the CW)? Aside from trying to get the CW fans to watch, I think that the producers of the show need it, to give themselves a reason to care about what they are creating.

BTW - We still watch Rebels, and enjoy it. It's just that the anti-CW posts (many of which are from people that didn't really watch it) drive me crazy.

My son still prefers to watch reruns of "The Clone Wars" rather than any episode of "Rebels".  Yes, maybe because the characters are tied to the prequels.  I'm getting an affinity for "Rebels", probably since it has some OT characters I can identify with.  I can take both just fine, but I do still prefer "The Clone Wars" thematically. 

Edited by exciter1

Sorry but that sounds just exaggerated.

I watched all of clone wars (even that episode that was never really finished and it was hard watching it with the beta graphics version ^.^ ).

Some of the episodes and plots have been really nice to watch and I enjoyed the show. Comparing it to Rebels - and that is a very personal point of view - I feel that it's just more like OT VS Ep I-III just that rebels has got more action than OT which is a big bonus.

But I guess we can say - and that is the best thing about it! - both series are very enjoyable!

Rebels has a few things going against it re: ratings. The show is on Disney X D, a channel that many people don't have access to as part of their primary cable package, whereas Clone Wars was on Cartoon Network. Clone Wars launched during the hype of the PT films and had a lot of carryover, whereas Rebels launched years later, featuring characters that are carryovers from 30 years ago, attempting to lead into a new movie set 30 years later. Viewers of the show on Disney X D, could watch the show on the Watch Disney X D app, which probably doesn't add into the viewership numbers. For those of us without Disney X D who don't feel like pirating it, the Digital purchase numbers are probably also not added in.

Whether Clone Wars was a better show or not, only history will say. I just think that the first season of Clone Wars had a lot of failures, and it got better as it went along. For me, the first truly interesting episode was Landing at Point Rain.

Assuming rebels runs for the next few seasons, is it safe to say that the Ghost and Phantom lego sets are going to be around for a long long time?

I think that TFA production and marketing will overshadow Rebels and these sets will retire on time. If the show sticks around for a few years, and these vehicles are still featured, we'll see remakes.

Whether Clone Wars was a better show or not, only history will say. I just think that the first season of Clone Wars had a lot of failures, and it got better as it went along. For me, the first truly interesting episode was Landing at Point Rain.

I agree, the first season was ok - as they were still trying to figure out where they wanted to go, and how far Lucas would let them go (like I mentioned, I didn't really like the movie).

Landing at Point Rain was one of my favorites - truly epic. They were trying to capture that D-Day, Saving Private Ryan feeling, and they did.

First off - comparing the two shows (or the movies for that matter) is a little bit of the snake eating its own tail. It's Star Wars! When I was 5 years old, watch Star Wars in the movie theater (yes, 1977) I had no idea that this franchise would still be a major part of my life nearly 40 years later.

You never know when someone's first viewing of some part of the franchise will happen. For my 3 year old son, it's Rebels. Anything SW is "Star Was Rebels." This is going to be the part of the franchise he has his earliest memories connected to. But his favorite robot is BB-8 just from seeing what we've seen of him so far.

Yes, there are some part of the franchise that aren't as good as others. I will say that CW did nothing for me. I tried multiple times but just didn't feel a connection to it. But I'm glad it lasted as long as it did, and I'm bummed they didn't get to finish the story they wanted to tell.

Rebels stoked a new fire in me. I don't know if it's because I'm making a connection with my kids, but I love Rebels. I enjoy all the characters I've seen. I enjoy this as a side story to the main franchise. I'm curious to see how connected it will be to TFA (if any).

I think it's silly to say that one is clearly better than the other, though. Everyone has their favorites, and it all enriches the franchise that all of us love. Even if we aren't that fond of that particular corner of it.

I feel the same way about the people that complain about the old continuity being jettisoned. It made good business sense to do that. And it's not like you can't still go back and enjoy it.

What did you expect?  Those were NOT clones of a Mandalorian bounty hunter ;)   They were not even the elite troops, just some poor legion located in the outskirt of the galaxy :D

Now if you think about it, the grunt clone troopers in CW should have done much better job fighting droids with faulty aiming mechanisms than what was depicted in CW, considering their mandalorian DNAs. :P

First off - comparing the two shows (or the movies for that matter) is a little bit of the snake eating its own tail. It's Star Wars! When I was 5 years old, watch Star Wars in the movie theater (yes, 1977) I had no idea that this franchise would still be a major part of my life nearly 40 years later.

You never know when someone's first viewing of some part of the franchise will happen. For my 3 year old son, it's Rebels. Anything SW is "Star Was Rebels." This is going to be the part of the franchise he has his earliest memories connected to. But his favorite robot is BB-8 just from seeing what we've seen of him so far.

Yes, there are some part of the franchise that aren't as good as others. I will say that CW did nothing for me. I tried multiple times but just didn't feel a connection to it. But I'm glad it lasted as long as it did, and I'm bummed they didn't get to finish the story they wanted to tell.

Rebels stoked a new fire in me. I don't know if it's because I'm making a connection with my kids, but I love Rebels. I enjoy all the characters I've seen. I enjoy this as a side story to the main franchise. I'm curious to see how connected it will be to TFA (if any).

I think it's silly to say that one is clearly better than the other, though. Everyone has their favorites, and it all enriches the franchise that all of us love. Even if we aren't that fond of that particular corner of it.

I feel the same way about the people that complain about the old continuity being jettisoned. It made good business sense to do that. And it's not like you can't still go back and enjoy it.

Whoa man, it's almost like  we're living the same life. My 3 year old calls all Star Wars "Star Wars Rebels." She adores BB-8. Before they showed interest in Rebels, I was almost checked out. There had been nothing to stoke me, because what I had watched of Clone Wars kind of left me cold when it came out. All of the heavily layered books that you had to read through all of the bad and mediocre to understand the "good" left me unwilling to dive into the rabbit hole. So, I was in kind of a dark age before my kids wanted to watch this cartoon that I hadn't even heard about before them.

• Like 1

Wow... there's a whole generation (at least the toddlers) who call it Star Wars Rebels. My 3 1/2 year old does the same. His brothers, 9 and 12, never saw Clone Wars because we didn't have cable for years when they were younger. They've become fans of it, and Rebels, now with Netflix and joining the 21st century and all (Disney XD). 

I'm looking forward to sharing Episdoe 7 and beyond with all of them. 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I'm about 6 episodes behind.  But I saw the cold open.

For anyone that thinks this is a kid's show, and not necessarily adult oriented, or as mature as Clone Wars, let me just mention this:  Two Inquisitors show up on a passenger ship.  Within moments, one of the Inquisitors takes out his dual blade lightsaber, and throws it down a hallway full of innocent people.  The show cuts before anything graphic is shown.  But the implication is quite obvious.

I don't watch this but there must have been an episode with Barriss Offee because  BIN listing of Geonosian cannon sold and then got a ton of watchers forcing me to raise the price last night.  hadn't moved one of these in a long time.

Edited by cladner

47 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

I'm about 6 episodes behind.  But I saw the cold open.

For anyone that thinks this is a kid's show, and not necessarily adult oriented, or as mature as Clone Wars, let me just mention this:  Two Inquisitors show up on a passenger ship.  Within moments, one of the Inquisitors takes out his dual blade lightsaber, and throws it down a hallway full of innocent people.  The show cuts before anything graphic is shown.  But the implication is quite obvious.

Maybe he's just doing a fency light show? :-P

Let's not talk about implications! I'm sure nobody got hurt! Just as in season 1 when the two agents are in the room together with Tarkin, the Inquisitor and Callus (even callus is giving you this look that says it all...).

I'd say this show is walking the small line between too much for children/just right enough for adults pretty nicely. Sometimes I'd wish for a little bit more though, but I guess especially storywise. Some things just are too far fetched (not logical) so like so many other shows/movies they could improve on that one (without changing a thing about it being great for children and adults at the same time).

The biggest trouble I've got with this show is that it's only coming once a week and that the episodes are so short! ;-)

• Like 1

In my humble opinion, this show still can't hold a candle to CW, despite some desperate attempts at being "deep" and adult oriented. As you said it cuts before anything graphic, whereas CW was unapologetic. Starving civilians under Federation's blockade, you got it. Kidnapping of babies, you got it (scenario here was copy/paste of one of the better episodes of CW), Palpating graphically dispatching of a would-be Sith while torturing the other, you got it. And let's not forget THE moment of the 5.5 seasons, Ahsoka decapitating 4 Mandalorians without breaking a sweat (Bada$$, the title must be earned...). Now that's what I call walking the line and assuming itself. Rebels struggles. "A lesser son of a greater sire". Although it has fun moments: Ezra Force-connecting with that beast in Ep. 1 was a moment of pure shining. Tonight's Ahsoka turning off her lightsabers then effortlessly dispatching the Seventh Sister was another. But in between, just too much empty walk. Just my 0.02 cts.

It is unfair to compare a show barely has 1.5 season vs one with 6 seasons under its belt.  

I watched the entire 1st season of Clone Wars on DVD and TBH I had to force myself through most of the episodes.  Some episodes like the Malevolence ones dragged on and on and on with very little payoff.  The villains were so dumbed down and 1 dimensional for something that was supposed to be gritty.  And hosts of other complains.  I stopped watching at the end of season 1.

I did not have any difficulty watching the entire 1st  season of Rebels.  In fact I had to stop myself from watching the entire season in 1 seating :) .  And when the season ended, I could not wait for more.

Also, body count does not equal quality.

• Like 2