Prediction of worth for Series 10 "Mr. Gold"

TheOrcKing

The Comic Con exclusives last year had 300 each in New York and 1,000 each in San Diego. If anyone pays $1,000 for Mr. Gold they're out of their mind. Since there are 5,000 Mr. Golds around, that is way more than the Comic Con exclusives, which would mean that Mr. Gold should be less valuable than those. I would guess that the first couple that show up on ebay go for around $250-300 and steadily fall into the $100-$150 range as more hit the market. The price will slowly go back up once Series 10 is sold out.

I think demand is going to be very high. So many people collect the CMF series. If I had to predict, I'd say $500 to start then dropping to around $100 as more are found (probably by store employees!) and then back up to $2-300.

Good point. There will likely be some Wal-Mart employees doing some serious smooshing.

I don't think as many people as we think are gonna be hunting for Mr gold........the hard core CMFers for sure but they aren't everywhere. I doubt Joe Schmo Walmart employee will know anything about this.

That's what they WANT you to think.....BWAHAHAHA!

Little Johnny's gonna be watching you smoosh from a distance as he's organizing tampons in the feminine products aisle with a smile on his face thinking "sucker!"

I absolutely agree.....LEGO's are meant to be built and enjoyed!

No offense to anyone here, but I hope the youngest Lego collectors with just a couple bucks manage to get lucky and get these as opposed to the AFOLS who are undoubtedly going to buy case after case. I guess I'm just in the mood for a feel-good story.

Based on logic of pure numbers, then why are the SDCC mini-figs priced lower than the Gold C-3P0? Its based on demand IMO. Its all fun to guess at this point. As one posted said....I hope some kids actually get some! (yes, my kids lol)

The Comic Con exclusives last year had 300 each in New York and 1,000 each in San Diego. If anyone pays $1,000 for Mr. Gold they're out of their mind. Since there are 5,000 Mr. Golds around, that is way more than the Comic Con exclusives, which would mean that Mr. Gold should be less valuable than those. I would guess that the first couple that show up on ebay go for around $250-300 and steadily fall into the $100-$150 range as more hit the market. The price will slowly go back up once Series 10 is sold out.

No offense to anyone here, but I hope the youngest Lego collectors with just a couple bucks manage to get lucky and get these as opposed to the AFOLS who are undoubtedly going to buy case after case. I guess I'm just in the mood for a feel-good story.

I agree with your sentiment. I think it will be a shame that this probably won't be the case and AFOl's will end up with the majority.

Is there going to be an easy way to feel for him? Like his gold top hat or something? I don't have much experience "smooshing."

Well the easiest way is knowing the weight that he should be. As you said, the hat is probably the next easiest way to find him. Haven't started on collecting them, but I think i'll buy a couple sealed boxes off eBay for the older series, then resell the minifigures. The main problem that i'll run into is shipping. I hate to charge $1.50 shipping on a $3 figure.

Based on logic of pure numbers, then why are the SDCC mini-figs priced lower than the Gold C-3P0? Its based on demand IMO. Its all fun to guess at this point. As one posted said....I hope some kids actually get some! (yes, my kids lol)

Of course the prices are based on demand. If I had to rank the value or interest for exclusive items in the themes I mentioned I would say it goes:

1. Star Wars

2. Super Heroes

3. TMNT

4. Coll. Min. (3 and 4 are probably fairly close, but I'd give the edge to the licensed minifigures in this case)

When exclusive minifigures come around, it isn't little kids buying them. Most of them probably don't even know there's some rare version of Batman that was only available at Comic Con. Mom and dad aren't buying $250 minifigures to give their kids to play with. Those are being purchased by adult collectors. Those same collectors will be the ones paying a lot for Mr. Gold, not mom and dad. Sure, there will be some who will, but most parents will not. I expect that the vast majority of Mr. Golds will be grabbed by resellers and other adult collectors who know what they're looking for. I won't be surprised at all to see 100+ Mr. Golds listed on ebay after a couple weeks of worldwide release. There will likely be BINs in the $50-$75 neighborhood at that point. Chrome Gold C-3PO wasn't always a $340 figure. You could pick him up with $95 BINs on ebay during the year of the promotion.

I agree with your sentiment. I think it will be a shame that this probably won't be the case and AFOl's will end up with the majority.

I too agree. No offense to any AFOLs but, I would rather see a kid get a huge smile on their face when they get a Mr. Gold versus an AFOL who already has dozens of Mr. Gold. Just a thought.

that would be me! :)

I too agree. No offense to any AFOLs but, I would rather see a kid get a huge smile on their face when they get a Mr. Gold versus an AFOL who already has dozens of Mr. Gold. Just a thought.

Well their parents can always buy sealed Mr Gold from me for 300$ if i get it...

will bring the same smile to kids face just way less smile to Parents face, for which I could care less if they can continue spending loads of cash on CMF hoping to get Mr Gold for their kids, they might aswell open their pockets alot and get it without guessing.

I know I as a parent couldnt care less if my kid gets it lol

Its highly unlikely that any one person will have dozens of Mr golds unless they scoop them all up from eBay.....

I kind of threw that number out there. One to maybe two would be more realistic if you are really lucky and go to many stores. (Unless like what you said bought more Mr. Golds on Ebay.)