Prediction of worth for Series 10 "Mr. Gold"

TheOrcKing

My wife just told me she wants Mr Gold for Xmas this year. I think she just wants an excuse to open our sealed cases of series 10 since we weren't planning on collecting all the CMFs at the time...

Little does she know I have all the ones were missing hidden in my work junk.

Sent from my iPod touch using Brickpicker

• 1 month later...

Last night I was looking over minifigure data and coming up with nice ideas for a future community project to help build our price guide for CMF.  I spent some time on Mr Gold and filtered the data.  I was blown away that it is indeed still commanding almost $900 and has a 29,000% increase over its retail price.   Maybe I should crack in to those series 10 cases that Ed has, I don't think he will mind :)

If only this thing was made of pure gold like the C-3PO minifigure was.  Then, it would be easy to find him with a cheap metal detector.

I wonder how high in value this minifigure will go.  There are always more AFOLs and TFOLs that are collecting minifigures that need Mr. Gold to complete their collection - and as time goes on, sealed Mr. Golds will become extremely rare.  I can see someone paying $2000 dollars for one in a few years.

If you have one, unregistered. Would you register it, or keep the code secret?

Are there benefits to register the code? Not do so?

thanks

There is one on eBay but the registration code paperwork is lost. Thus I wouldn't buy it.

I strongly feel that there buyers who would pay more to register one. It will give some satisfaction since that person didn't pull it out of a pack.

Sent from an iPhone using the Brickpicker app

I'm wondering how long Lego is going to keep the "Mr Gold" registration site online for example. If you register the Mr Gold, don't they send you an official document for authenticity of the minifig?

I'm not sur how people reason here. There are so many unregistered out there - what does that imply?

thanks for your opnions guys

If you have one, unregistered. Would you register it, or keep the code secret?

Are there benefits to register the code? Not do so?

thanks

It depends. If you are going to sell it. Keep the code, but don't register it. If I were to buy a Mr. Gold, I would rather buy one that is unregistered, so that I can have the satisfaction of registering it myself. If you are going to keep the Mr. Gold for yourself, register it. There is no harm done in doing so.

I'm wondering how long Lego is going to keep the "Mr Gold" registration site online for example. If you register the Mr Gold, don't they send you an official document for authenticity of the minifig?

I'm not sur how people reason here. There are so many unregistered out there - what does that imply?

thanks for your opnions guys

There are a lot of unregistered Mr. Golds out there. My guess is that many of them have been found in the world, but they have not been registered. Some people probably have a Mr. Gold, but don't even realize the significance of it and don't care (or even know) to register it. Also, there are probably people who want to register their Mr. Gold, but forgot about it and will never remember. Those are just a few reasons why there are so many unregistered Mr. Golds.

No to mention how many Mr Golds ended up in some 5 year's birthday pile of toys and were later eaten by Fido who noticed a bit of peanut butter on Mr Gold's hat from the kid's afternoon snack...

I'm 99.99% sure that that happened to at least ONE Mr. Gold somewhere in the world.

• 2 weeks later...

The current count of Mr. Golds found and registered is 2,079.

It has been a long while since the last update so there you go.

That`s not very many at all given that we have passed the 1 year mark. There have definitely been more found, just people haven`t registered them, how many, we`re unlikely to ever know for sure. Still, the lower the number found, more than likely the higher the value of a case will go. 

• 7 months later...

Well this awkward. I cannot find Mr. Gold's profile page or the world map displaying where all the knowns have been found. I guess LEGO wiped the whole thing clean from their servers or something to make way for the Minifigures Online "Collect & Win". I know the Mr. Gold map was online for October 2014 because that was the last time I updated the count in the main post.

Anyway regardless the last count of found and registered Mr. Golds was 2,152.