Prediction of worth for Series 10 "Mr. Gold"

TheOrcKing

Take it from a Toy and Sports card collector, if theres that many Mr. Gold it wont be worth much going forward.....its just not that rare.....I can guarentee you that....once the novelty is worn off people will only care about mr.gold thats numbered out of 50 or less.

Thats what killed the sports card industry.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Brickpicker mobile app

Take it from a Toy and Sports card collector, if theres that many Mr. Gold it wont be worth much going forward.....its just not that rare.....I can guarentee you that....once the novelty is worn off people will only care about mr.gold thats numbered out of 50 or less.

I disagree with you. Lego don't devalue over time, and that's all it needs, is time.

sports cards are little pieces of cardboard. No replay value. no cool boxes to display. nothing to build. nothing to touch. 1 good card in about 10000. Then the rest of the cards are garbage. Even the most basic lego piece is more valuable than any sort of sports card in my opinion. Comparing lego to crappy sports cards is not even in the same ball park, pun intended. Only 5000 mr golds, even less than that in sealed form compared to hundreds of thousands of useless sports cards? Ill take a mr gold any day over any sports card.

sports cards are little pieces of cardboard. No replay value. no cool boxes to display. nothing to build. nothing to touch. 1 good card in about 10000. Then the rest of the cards are garbage. Even the most basic lego piece is more valuable than any sort of sports card in my opinion. Comparing lego to crappy sports cards is not even in the same ball park, pun intended. Only 5000 mr golds, even less than that in sealed form compared to hundreds of thousands of useless sports cards? Ill take a mr gold any day over any sports card.

I think the analogy is that there was a huge sports card bubble and all of the companys saw nothing but huge profits so they flooded the market with derivitive crap and in the end the only thing people cared about was the hardest to find and most unique inserts, everything else was basically garbage, albeit garbage you were paying $25 for 3 cards for in order to get the die cut blue parrallel 1/1 refractor prism acetone rookie autographed card of bob loblaw.

if every few sets they release another chase figure and there's a chase inside the chase say a mr platinum or mrs gold, then it'll end up like sports cards

Naw, what killed the Baseball Card Industry, because lets face it, it was always about Baseball and not "Sports" cards, was saturation + nickel and diming the customer right out of the hobby.  It grew to the point of smothering the traditional steady line to complete with too many versions of the same product (Ultra, Stadium Club, Studio, etc.).  I was the target age during the Baseball card craze/bubble and back then you could walk into any Basesball Card shop and purchase whatever current line of card pack you wanted because they were all in stock and plentiful; unlike LEGO today where you snooze you lose if the set even arrives at all in your local retailer.  Add in the ever increasing cost, scammers - I'm looking at you Donruss wax paper iron guy - and charging the fan for autographs, which is ludicrous and what did they think would happen?  Of course it failed.  Parents got fed up with wasting money and collectors grew up or grew tired of the impossible chase.  So far LEGO is much smarter, not to mention they are 1 of 1 in the game which allows them total control and continued viability provided they don't do something stupid. 

Many like to compare Mr. Gold to "chase" cards.  I say they're wrong.  The key difference is that brilliantly, you can feel the pack for Mr. Gold (and others).  If you don't feel him, you move on until you do.  Unlike with the Baseball cards there's no financial loss, only time.  In fact, you walk away with an increased understanding/knowledge of the product through tactile feedback as well as a strong sense of investment in the genre as you've "become so good at figuring out what's in the packs!"  Kids love that last part. 

So you don't find Mr. Gold...now you/re mad at LEGO for putting you through this turmoil of excitement and despair.  You go on the internet and give them a good what for publicly and then you lie to yourself about how cheap he will one day become because that's how you were burned by Topps and creeper wax pack iron guy 25 years ago.  That's fine, it's your right, but where will you be when the next Series comes out?  Ahhh!  That's right...you're a pro feeler now...you've become so familiar with the product that it takes you less and less time to apply your new tactile super powers to that new set of smiling minifigure images starring back at you while you crinkle away at those glossy packs.  Oh yeah, you're hooked and you love it.  In the back of your mind you think about your collection and how someday you may find the disposable income, or flip enough sets to justify the cost of completion with that elusive Mr. Gold.  Those forgotten feelings of despair creep back, but by now you've already thought of the special case you will keep him in for display since the cost was so high and your justification mind washes away the despair... 

...well played LEGO...well played.

• Like 1

you must be seeing something I'm not from the decool figures, I can tell the difference just by sight 99% and feel the other 1%

the ones on the internet are not quite there because the producers have not made them (i.e. feet are sloped). The capability is there and 3d printing is making huge strides. Investing in single minifigs worth hundreds of dollars is very risky for this reason IMO.

Im new to Lego so I dont know what to expect. I didnt even know they already counterfeit Mr. Gold lol....and soon to be undetectable im sure. I can see the fun in owning mr.gold, as if it was mr. Batmam id be super excited, but I expect Mr. Gold to tank only because 5000 units is a joke in every other collectible market, counterfeits ruin great ideas like Mr. Gold, and if you think Lego isnt going to keep producing more risk vs reward collectibles you have a few bricks loose so to speak.

Im suprised theres no mystery superhero and other licenced packs yet....that should just about axe the thrill of Mr. Who?

Curtis, thats a wonderful theory you have why I think Mr. Gold will be Mr. Whocares, its pretty incorrect however, to the point that it sounds like it was developed by a troll. To be honest i feel greasy enough as it is buying sets at my 30 some thing age, buying a pack of some mystery kiddie pack minifig just seems wrong to me....and I just dont care about a gold tiny lego dude....but thats just me...albeit if it was batman i would buy it lol.

Im just applying the lessons i learned in other collectable markets and applying it here, since Im new to lego and it does seem that popularity of lego exploded, which is never good for any collector.

Thats what all the sports card collectors said......but for the sake of everyone who shelled out hundreds I hope your right

They are different worlds and very different circumstances. I was extremely blessed to pay $2.99 for my Mr. Gold at a Southern California Kmart. I'd never be able to afford one otherwise.

• Like 1

Let's see the counterfeiters duplicate the quality of plastic lego uses. Megabloks and all those other large companies can't do it, so I wonder how a counterfeiter will. Same goes for the packaging and numbered poster. Someone is going to invest in matching Lego quality so they can flood the market with fake Mr. Golds? No 3D printer can do it. Those quality molds are super expensive to produce and use.

Curtis, thats a wonderful theory you have why I think Mr. Gold will be Mr. Whocares, its pretty incorrect however, to the point that it sounds like it was developed by a troll. To be honest i feel greasy enough as it is buying sets at my 30 some thing age, buying a pack of some mystery kiddie pack minifig just seems wrong to me....and I just dont care about a gold tiny lego dude....but thats just me...albeit if it was batman i would buy it lol.

Im just applying the lessons i learned in other collectable markets and applying it here, since Im new to lego and it does seem that popularity of lego exploded, which is never good for any collector.

Ah, you're mistaken.  I wasn't theorizing about why you think "Mr. Gold will be Mr. Whocares."  You made that clear in your post saying that it's not that rare.  I was just giving a typical scenario of what I saw happening when Mr. Gold was released 10 months ago.  When I said "So you don't find Mr. Gold..." it was more of a general 'you', sorry I should have made that more clear I guess.  I'm new to LEGO as well, but I did have the opportunity to witness how polarizing Mr. Gold became.

**Edit:  No wait, I just read my post again...yeah, I must have had you in mind when I wrote that scenario.  So I was wrong then, big deal.  Just ignore all the Baseball card references in that paragraph and it could apply to many during that time.  I mean hey, people were even admitting that they wouldn't be as upset if they had found him themselves.  It's LEGO, don't take it too seriously.

I can't help you with your greasy feeling, but you certainly shouldn't feel wrong about buying LEGO.

I think comparing lego investing to the sports card bubble or beanie babies is wrong because Lego's have intrinsic worth of a kid's toy. It's extremely rare for any set to be worth less than the retail price after being retired. A sports card (piece of paper) or even a beanie baby's intrinsic value is almost worthless. Will the lego investing market change in the next 5 years? Yes, I think it will arbitrage itself out. 10 years ago if you bought a set and held it a few years you could make many times what you paid. I remember I bought boxes of lego straight track for $4 each from lego when they finally got rid of 9v in the early 2000's.....sold them thru amazon for $75 a box a few years ago. I imagine getting 2-3 times retail will take 5+ years for most sets now, due to all the new resellers/investors. Buy hey, more competition is great for collectors who missed out.

On the other hand, a single lego minifig like mr gold could EASILY turn out to be equivalent to a sports card or beanie baby...intrinsic value is very low, super high worth right now but really.....in 2-3 years, who will even remember it? On top of that, like everyone else is saying, the ability to duplicate/fake lego minifigs is increasing. I would stay far away from single minifigs.

• 4 weeks later...

Well said Millertime...im not comparing lego to sports cards tho...im comparing Mr.Gold.....and when theres 5000 real mr.golds out there, then thats just not rare...at all...not even one bit. It would be harder to find a honda civic in your town than find a mr.gold.....

I was only comparing Mr.Gold type stuff to sports cards.....face it, 5000 of something is simply not rare. I think sealed lego sets will always be collectible, just not a mini fig that has a print run of 5000.

They should have made 500 if they really wanted to make these 'collectible'.  I think they wanted to make so many that there would be some owned by kids who didn't know what they had.  If a very limited quantity was made, than the craze would have been even worse with the adults smooshing every single bag.