Prediction of worth for Series 10 "Mr. Gold"

TheOrcKing

I wouldn't start at $1 to see what happens. He has been around for a few months now so the initial excitement that may cause a bidding war is gone. I would start him at a price you would be happy with if there was only one bid, and go from there. If he doesn't sell right away then you can tweak your listing to entice more potential buyers. He is too rare to just throw out there hoping that a bidding war ensues, because once he is gone, he is gone. Good luck. Let us know how you do.

You're right about not starting at $1. I don't know why I brought that up since I would never actually do that for such a high value item. I hoping for more advice and will let you all know how I proceed. 

You could start the auction at $99 and add buy-it-now for something you'd be happy with - say $750. See if someone bites at the higher price .. At $99 you'll attract a lot of people to view/watch which could translate into bids.

And I know lots of people hate the zero and low feedback buyer, but often they'll drive up the bids then back out to a more seasoned ebayer.

Went to my local Walmart last night and discovered a series 10 display. They haven't had this in the past and the bags looked crips. Figured I would give it a shot since I'm missing 4 figures. Found 3 of them (Captain, Mechanic, Mime) but the most exciting part was when I felt a straight stick, a lightsaber handle, and a top hat. Mr. Gold ladies and gentlemen. I couldn't believe my luck since I'd pretty much given up finding him. My 6 year old was ecstatic and I told him we will probably sell him to get funds for more LEGOs. 

So how do I maximize my profits? There are currently two auctions on eBay right now. One is up to $520 and the other at $560.99. There are also a bunch buy it now from $700 to $1,200. 

Do I wait? Will Christmas time be better? Will they still go up in value or have we hit a plateau? Do I start at $1 and see what happens? Any advice would be appreciated. 

Congrats on finding Mr.Gold. I would try setting up an auction on eBay. Or you could do a BIN with a best offer attached.

I would put it in bricklink for market price as noted above in case a serious collector wants one and if it's still sitting there around 2-3 weeks before Xmas, pull it over to EBay for the last minute buying time. I would start the auction at $99 but put a reserve price in at my minimum I'd be happy with and a BIN around the max range based in the last 10 sold. I would say "good luck" but that's already been accomplished!

Guest brickcrazyhouse

wait for brickclassified and find some one to trade with.  I'm sure there are a few sets you and or your son wanted but missed

While I like the minifigures series, I really despise how TLG has made some figures "more rare" than others.  First we had the Mr. Gold thing, which is only going to bring out the worst in humanity.  I don't see how TLG could have not seen the fact that store employees were going to go through the packs and pick out any Mr. Golds they come across.  I bet very few Mr. Golds have actually made it onto the retail floor, and purchased by an average customer.  A previous poster had the good idea of having a voucher you could redeem for Mr. Gold instead of the actual figure to prevent this behavior.  Series 11 took a big step backward when Lego decided to fix the distribution so that some figures are much rarer than others.  They should just sell these figures in complete packs of 16.  Adult collectors are going to get their full sets regardless, and I'm sure kids get frustrated not being able to get every figure they want because they can't or don't know how to feel the packs for figures (plus I'm sure parents aren't going to wait around while their kids do this).

The minifigure craze is one thing that really surprised me about Lego when I came out of my dark age.  When I was a kid in the 80's, it was all about the sets.  The minifigs were nice, but just another part of the set.  Now the figs seem to be the stars of the show, while the rest of the set is just extra.  They even advertise all of the minifigs right on the front of the box, making sure you know which ones are exclusive to that particular set.  I guess this is probably inevitable once you get into licensed material.  Bricks are bricks, people really just want their spiderman minifigs.

While I like the minifigures series, I really despise how TLG has made some figures "more rare" than others.  First we had the Mr. Gold thing, which is only going to bring out the worst in humanity.  I don't see how TLG could have not seen the fact that store employees were going to go through the packs and pick out any Mr. Golds they come across.  I bet very few Mr. Golds have actually made it onto the retail floor, and purchased by an average customer.  A previous poster had the good idea of having a voucher you could redeem for Mr. Gold instead of the actual figure to prevent this behavior.  Series 11 took a big step backward when Lego decided to fix the distribution so that some figures are much rarer than others.  They should just sell these figures in complete packs of 16.  Adult collectors are going to get their full sets regardless, and I'm sure kids get frustrated not being able to get every figure they want because they can't or don't know how to feel the packs for figures (plus I'm sure parents aren't going to wait around while their kids do this).

The minifigure craze is one thing that really surprised me about Lego when I came out of my dark age.  When I was a kid in the 80's, it was all about the sets.  The minifigs were nice, but just another part of the set.  Now the figs seem to be the stars of the show, while the rest of the set is just extra.  They even advertise all of the minifigs right on the front of the box, making sure you know which ones are exclusive to that particular set.  I guess this is probably inevitable once you get into licensed material.  Bricks are bricks, people really just want their spiderman minifigs.

They've been doing the 2 qty for rare minifiigs since serise 9. Series 8 had 3 so I guess that was a tiny bit better. I dread searching for the rest of the series 11 rare figures...

When I was a kid in the 80's, it was all about the sets.  The minifigs were nice, but just another part of the set.  Now the figs seem to be the stars of the show, while the rest of the set is just extra.  They even advertise all of the minifigs right on the front of the box, making sure you know which ones are exclusive to that particular set.  

This is something I noticed as well when I came out of my dark ages. In the 80's the minifigs were a fun part of the set, but weren't glamorized like they are now. I agree that it probably has alot to do with the licensing, because in the 80's Lego didn't license any properties like they do now.

I know people can do whatever they want with the sets they buy, but it seems kind of weird to me sometimes when a person will buy a set for the minifigs to display them or whatever and then trash or sell the lego pieces without even trying to build the set even once. It shows that it is really all about the minifigs sometimes.  

Definitely not digging the ratio for series 11.  I like to complete 2 sets for each series.  I have one complete set but having a hard time getting another one because of the rare figs.  It is also making it harder to trade for the rare figures.  2 per box is too low.

Who is only 2 per box for series 11?

You better get ready for the horror stories. If employees at any large box store have a clue about the potential value in a $3 small bag, you will be lucky to find anything of value in these sets. They will be stolen. They will be opened. Better off buying a SEALED CASE of 60 Collectible Series 10 Minifigures. At least you stand a chance of getting a complete collection.

Thanks for sharing this Ed! I didn't know such listing exist. Tempted to pull the trigger on one.

So from series 10, the besides Mr. Gold, Medussa is hard to find?  I was practicing a little last sunday at a local toy store and I definerly felt, two medusas... Should I get them?  I am not into minifigs, I just like the treasure hunting rush......

BR

Eventually these minfigures will be worth some money. I would get them if you can find them. The rarer minfigures are the more valuable ones.