LEGO VIP Insiders/GWP Discussion

Captain_Obvious

Yo, surprised there’s no talk about the Bionicle GWP drop this Friday?

Buy-in is only $95 (select themes though). If Capital One Shopping is still offering 18% CB (ymmv) on Friday, I’m pulling the trigger on the Police Academy. Feels like a great deal.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/bionicle-tahu-and-takua-40581

image.png.12781469be6e6cf4fc8fc2613e10a43e.png

Edited by Captain_Obvious

5 minutes ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Yo, surprised there’s no talk about the Bionicle GWP drop this Friday?

Buy-in is only $95 (select themes though). If Capital One Shopping is still offering 18% CB (ymmv) on Friday, I’m pulling the trigger on the Police Academy. Feels like a great deal.

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/bionicle-tahu-and-takua-40581

That set has zero appeal to anyone except maybe some Bionicle fans. And some of them will be disappointed that it's not real Bionicle but rather printed system bricks.

What I don't get is the theme restriction for an 18+ set. Of course, it's not truly 18+ but Lego recognizes that the target audience is adults who had Bionicle growing up. But then why tie it to City and Ninjago, which are kids themes? I increasingly believe that management has no idea about their products and customers.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, BrickLover80 said:

That set has zero appeal to anyone except maybe some Bionicle fans. And some of them will be disappointed that it's not real Bionicle but rather printed system bricks.

What I don't get is the theme restriction for an 18+ set. Of course, it's not truly 18+ but Lego recognizes that the target audience is adults who had Bionicle growing up. But then why tie it to City and Ninjago, which are kids themes? I increasingly believe that management has no idea about their products and customers.

Not a fan either, but I don't see this reselling for anything less than $30. I also can't imagine LEGO overproducing this set. And the Bionicle fans... they whine more than Castle & Pirate fans combined. The B-tch Factor will be high on this one especially if LEGO never remakes this theme again and this little GWP is the only token of appreciation they get in modern times

Upside of $50+ after 30 days of being sold out and the word slowly trickles out.

This set was made to appease all of the “We didn’t get a 90th anniversary set” Butt-Hurt Bionicle Fanboys, and all it seems to have done is piss them off more since it is not real Bionicle in a Canister and can only be obtained by purchasing non-licensed sets. I think lego will make a ton of these to hopefully get them to finally shut up. 

There was a really nice white Bionicle prototype made for this GWP but per the designer it got rejected because although small would have exceeded the cost allotment because new elements would need to be produced. 

When predicting this sets long term value Keep in mind most Bionicle fans are cheap, unlike Castle and Space  ;) 

• Haha 3

8 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

This set was made to appease all of the “We didn’t get a 90th anniversary set” Butt-Hurt Bionicle Fanboys, and all it seems to have done is piss them off more since it is not real Bionicle in a Canister and can only be obtained by purchasing non-licensed sets. I think lego will make a ton of these to hopefully get them to finally shut up. 

There was a really nice white Bionicle prototype made for this GWP but per the designer it got rejected because although small would have exceeded the cost allotment because new elements would need to be produced. 

When predicting this sets long term value Keep in mind most Bionicle fans are cheap, unlike Castle and Space  ;) 

“Butt-Hurt-Bionicle” I hope this goes viral hahaha

• Haha 2

Was Harry Potter book of monsters only a $75 purchase, that would be the best I can think of? That was almost free Lego as you could stack in store with a polybag as well. My store has them available for several months and you could stack with other free gifts for a while, we will never go back to those days! Next year it will be $300 for a $20 GWP.

12 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

If you look at eBay sold bionicle I would say there are plenty of people that pay a lot for bionicle with sorting by price.  It also has 16,000 listings with over 10,000 sold listings

i like the gwp.  I plan to get a couple of them

house of the world seems tapped out at $ 60 range

one of those for 250 buy in yields 60

two of these for 200 should be a better return

still might get a house of the world just don’t know for sure

11 hours ago, starwarsxpress said:

i like the gwp.  I plan to get a couple of them

Me too. I have a few sets ready to go but not sure if they will make it until tomorrow morning.

The Rabbit, which I have no interest in is done but still ads to cart, and is available for direct purchase 

https://us.zavvi.com/toys-lego/lego-year-of-the-rabbit-set-40575/14187219.html?autocomplete=productsuggestion

https://www.entertainmentearth.com/product/lego-40575-year-of-the-rabbit/lg40575

52 minutes ago, corey321 said:

I like the GWP but no way I am going to pay full price for City and Friends sets to get it!

There’s way more to pick from.
im sticking to my usuals that per phone conversation that I just had with one of my local store managers, apply anyway. 
for the most part, stay away from licensed sets and you’re good.  

• exciter1 changed the title to LEGO VIP Insiders/GWP Discussion