LEGO VIP Insiders/GWP Discussion

Captain_Obvious

my local store has some Staircases  left...and they are not "allowed" to give out numbers...so I asked: "Would you recommend me coming in today or can I wait till tomorrow?"

He said coming in teh sooner the better chance of getting one...cryptic but clear.

Anyhoo...is it worth it to drive 30 min each way for ONE staircase GWP???...seriously doubt they will let me get more than one regardless of how much I purchase.

They are going for about $70 on ebay...the dorms have kept their price point of $50+ pretty well too.  It's really not much money; relatively, but the idea of saving $70 off a large Hogwarts castle or Diagon Alley as well as avoiding the price hike...gets me all rationalizing weirdly

any advice?

4 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

my local store has some Staircases  left...and they are not "allowed" to give out numbers...so I asked: "Would you recommend me coming in today or can I wait till tomorrow?"

He said coming in teh sooner the better chance of getting one...cryptic but clear.

Anyhoo...is it worth it to drive 30 min each way for ONE staircase GWP???...seriously doubt they will let me get more than one regardless of how much I purchase.

They are going for about $70 on ebay...the dorms have kept their price point of $50+ pretty well too.  It's really not much money; relatively, but the idea of saving $70 off a large Hogwarts castle or Diagon Alley as well as avoiding the price hike...gets me all rationalizing weirdly

any advice?

Time is money. 70 = 50 after fees. tax on castle is 30+ depending where you live. So.... savings of 20ish? Gas $$........

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

any advice?

10 years ago I would have been there at opening and bought Timmy and Jimmy a slushy from the food court so I could get 3 GWP. Now I have only been to the Lego store once this entire year. Time > $

If you don’t have any staircase and you need it to complete the collection or you think it will be your “ White Whale” someday then go, but if you don’t live somewhere where you can hit 3 stores or are still allowed in the back room to get multiples then stay. Gas, tolls and time it just isn’t worth it to have 1 to sell. The set will most likely be back just like the dorms and MBOM and you will know. Also once people start getting their shipments in watch eBay auctions that’s what I do and usually make out alright on GWPs that have a “B” factor below 8. 

Edited by Pseudoty
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

any advice?

7 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Time is money. 70 = 50 after fees. tax on castle is 30+ depending where you live. So.... savings of 20ish? Gas $$........

I was about to say haha, what kind of vehicle do you drive? 😝

I would say for just one, probably not worth it. If you could bring a friend though and plan out multiple purchases, I'd be tempted. It's one of the strongest GWP in awhile in my opinion. Also it kind of flew under the radar.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

I was about to say haha, what kind of vehicle do you drive? 😝

I would say for just one, probably not worth it. If you could bring a friend though and plan out multiple purchases, I'd be tempted. It's one of the strongest GWP in awhile in my opinion. Also it kind of flew under the radar.

Pay $70 and not leave the couch doesn't sound too bad.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Pseudoty said:

10 years ago I would have been there at opening and bought Timmy and Jimmy a slushy from the food court so I could get 3 GWP. Now I have only been to the Lego store once this entire year. Time > $

If you don’t have any staircase and you need it to complete the collection or you think it will be your “ White Whale” someday then go, but if you don’t live somewhere where you can hit 3 stores or are still allowed in the back room to get multiples then stay. Gas, tolls and time it just isn’t worth it to have 1 to sell. The set will most likely be back just like the dorms and MBOM and you will know. Also once people start getting their shipments in watch eBay auctions that’s what I do and usually make out alright on GWPs that have a “B” factor below 8. 

I've got two from LEGO Shop at Home on the way so this is all gravy.

I think for LEGO Potter fans...it's a definite 10 on the B factor...but you bring up good points about more stock (both on Ebay short term and long term GWP returning).  I was going to go in w/ a disguise (jacket and hat) to try for two possibly...if not for the imminent price increases, I really wouldn't bother...but this extra gravy has a strong pull

30 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I've got two from LEGO Shop at Home on the way so this is all gravy.

I think for LEGO Potter fans...it's a definite 10 on the B factor...but you bring up good points about more stock (both on Ebay short term and long term GWP returning).  I was going to go in w/ a disguise (jacket and hat) to try for two possibly...if not for the imminent price increases, I really wouldn't bother...but this extra gravy has a strong pull

So you got me thinking and I called my Lego store and they do have the staircase in stock but nothing left to buy to qualify to get it, guy says: “yeah, you heard me right, we have absolutely no HP sets left in the store”? 

I will be headed that way later this week so maybe I will stop by on my way home. 

I need to stop ordering the Walmart City Stuntz bundle for. $9.99. There is a new inventory loophole, you order 2 for store pickup and they can’t find them and offer free shipping but the item still remains in stock for store pickup so you R&R. 

just to close the loop

I ended up driving the 30min to the store.  It was well stocked...pretty much everything I could think of on the shelves.  Seeing in-person the Loop coaster was nice...as well as Optimus.

Anyhoo, they had a large Hogwarts available but the box was maybe a 7...so i asked if there was a better one in the back...rep went to check...came out and was about to pull it out of the shipper box and I jump at him to stop..."I'll take it in the box!"

Blew a bunch of VIP pts to get the $100 credit. Got my staircase and the polybag. If these sell for going...that's almost $200 off plus the $50 the price will increase to in August...[in my mind, I'm patting myself on the back; I knew eventually I would get a nice box for "the vault" anyway]

was planning to hit the jamba juice [promised the boy after getting his braces attached today] and then try for another staircase wearing a hat and jacket...but the kid's braces bracket came off so I had to rush back to the ortho. 

-back story: so i originally bought a large Hogwarts at RRP for a self-B-day present a few years ago; sold it during Covid for $600.  Got another one when rumor of a retirement arose (but had the "sticker" version and a meh box).

• Like 2

1 hour ago, KShine said:

I find it hard to believe that the staircase won't be back.

I agree that HP sets like MBoM has been over hoarded with a stale price plateau going on 2 years...so there's clearly significant risk to invest in these "exclusives" and GWPs.

I think the dorms were a better investment as it's a one of kind thing that LEGO will likely not release a similar set and it fits w/ their current system (completist appeal); the stair case kind of screams for LEGO to release a bigger better version.

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

Went to the lego store to get another staircase. Asked if I bought Diagon Alley could I get 2 and she said no but if you come back on 8/1 you can get both GWP, staircase and forestmen. They have 15 boxes of staircase left so will probably have to make another trip. 

51 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

Went to the lego store to get another staircase. Asked if I bought Diagon Alley could I get 2 and she said no but if you come back on 8/1 you can get both GWP, staircase and forestmen. They have 15 boxes of staircase left so will probably have to make another trip. 

Is Diagon Alley scheduled for a price increase?

1 hour ago, thedingman5 said:

She said they still haven’t gotten anything official for 8/1. My understanding is that Diagon is not and Hogwarts is to $480. So I am thinking that Diagon is done to make room for the néw HP Train that comes out 8/31. If so diagon will have spent it’s entire 2 year cycle as a true lego exclusive in the USA with very limited availability it’s first 6 months.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Should just buy online. Then you could get as many as you want.

10 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

She said they still haven’t gotten anything official for 8/1. My understanding is that Diagon is not and Hogwarts is to $480. So I am thinking that Diagon is done to make room for the néw HP Train that comes out 8/31. If so diagon will have spent it’s entire 2 year cycle as a true lego exclusive in the USA with very limited availability it’s first 6 months.

I would be shocked if DA retired at the end of 2022. It's been hard to get, so must be selling well. It wasn't on any 2022 list I've seen. I expect it will be $470 on 8/1 just like Hogwarts.

So far, I've not seen any true Lego exclusives on the list of sets with a price increase. The lists are all based on information from retailers, so it makes sense we won't know for true exclusives until Lego tells their store employees.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, thedingman5 said:

Haven't seen this mentioned on here before but DA is set to go up. And not by a small amount 🙄

https://jaysbrickblog.com/news/partial-list-of-lego-set-price-increases-singapore-edition/

This chaps shared a list from Singapore stores of upcoming price lists and DA is on there. So is the modular police station which I don't think was on the Barnes and noble list previously shared. 

Having seen this list the cynic in me is expecting virtually every set to go up - Legos comments of only raising prices of adult orientated sets is clearly a load of pretentious lying crap - on this list sets such as Micky and Minnie birthday train - which is a sodding duplo set - are going up in price. 

41 minutes ago, Pseudoty said:

I’m still hoping this was a marketing campaign to help boost lagging sales and we will see a last minute reversal on existing sets come 8/1, but I doubt it. 

I think it's LEGO's strategy to raise RRP so they can have greater "Sale price" percentage to lure in cost sensitive shoppers During Christmas rush

[LEGO knows they will be competing w/ other toys slashing prices]

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

• exciter1 changed the title to LEGO VIP Insiders/GWP Discussion