LEGO VIP Insiders/GWP Discussion

Captain_Obvious

8 hours ago, Captain_Obvious said:

My friend, I would hate for you to be really, really wrong. Sounds like you're sitting on 26k in points. It's not worth trading them for $200 in credits. It's been a while since we've seen a big Loyalty Reward drop such as the Batpod (15k points, sold for $3k originally on eBay, now $1,500). Even some of the lesser rewards such as the LEGO x Adidas shoes (13k points), Pooh print collection (4k points), and the coin collection (7k points) will fetch at least $200+.

I'm getting the feeling we're going to see something big in May that will cost 15k in points. At minimum, keep 15k in your piggy bank.

HOLD!

I disagree. I think Lego will never offer something for that many points again. They prefer now to let you buy raffle tickets with your points. Could be wrong, but that is my gut feeling. They get bitched at too much when they have limited run items as it is. Vip points for raffle tickets is the most egalitarian way to do rare items for them. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, pharmjod said:

I disagree. I think Lego will never offer something for that many points again. They prefer now to let you buy raffle tickets with your points. Could be wrong, but that is my gut feeling. They get bitched at too much when they have limited run items as it is. Vip points for raffle tickets is the most egalitarian way to do rare items for them. 

I could be wrong as well. I do agree that raffles would be the most egalitarian approach, that's why they do it every month with the SDCC releases and autographed stuff.

However, there's nothing egalitarian about $800 sets that they sell, but most could never afford nor want to. The people who can't afford the Ferrari don't get pissed, it's only when they can't get the Honda that is ridicously marked up over MSRP due to supply/demand. The folks who buy the $800 sets most likely buy a lot of other sets (not all big sets come with a GWP, if they do, it's limited time only). It's the 80/20 rule. 80% of your business is driven by 20% of your customers (not exact). I'd find a way to keep my 20% feeling special.

When people get upset, it's because they could have afforded it. Limited run sets are within most people's "price point" grasp, and so were the Loyalty Coins & Satellite in terms of points (these are the rewards that are triggering the resentment). We all know those coins and satellite were inexpensive to make, therefore LEGO, why didn't you make more?

When we see a big reward, such as the Batpod, we all know it's not a cheap gift, and it's funny how nobody complained about it. It was only the Whales who were upset (at themselves) for not being in the know and getting there first.

Best way to solve this is to keep the 50 point raffles going for the SDCC sets and autographed stuff, and secretly email your Whales about exclusive VIP point redemption rewards.

Either way, we're going to see a big drop, and LEGO is going to make sure everyone understands why they can't afford it, nor want to (takes dollars to get points). In fact it may motivate some of the 80% to start buying more LEGO like their 20%. 

I'm the cheapest dude you'll ever meet, but when it comes to LEGO, watches, and cars- it's no holds barred. Others are cheap af with LEGO, but have their own things they like to splurge on, and they should be rewarded for their splurge.

8 minutes ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Either way, we're going to see a big drop, and LEGO is going to make sure everyone understands why they can't afford it, nor want to (takes dollars to get points). In fact it may motivate some of the 80% to start buying more LEGO like their 20%. 

That's a pretty bold statement. Are you "hoping" this is what LEGO does because you spend a lot and hoard your VIP points or you actually know something and are just being coy about it. 

My money is on never seeing a huge, limited run VIP only product again after the batpod. I'd wager Lego wishes they could do that over as a raffle.

There will "always" be people who complain about any deal regardless of what you do.  It will be unfair, inconvenient, too expensive, too exclusive, too whatever to some people.  Give me a plain English offer and I can choose to participate or not.  I have no interest in raffles and looking for special deals and buys with VIP points.  Spend X and get Y, Double VIP -- simple enough, ok I'm in.  But that's just me . . .

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Pseudoty said:

Well we are getting Hats in 5 days ;) 

Almost $20 (2400 points). Space one is somewhat attractive but will it fetch $40-50 on Ebay to make it worth the trouble? I somehow feel they were overproduced after the last few redemption disasters.

https://www.thebrickpost.com/news/lego-branded-caps-coming-soon-to-vip-rewards-centre/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Captain_Obvious said:

Ah, F lol. Maybe this is a way to please the plebs before the big May drop ; ) 

The hat is cool and I'm digging the worn feel. However, I'd rather scoop one for $50 on eBay, and save for the big bang!

What is the big May drop? Am I missing something?

56 minutes ago, BillyBricks said:

According to @Captain_Obvious, you are missing the requisite butt-load (maybe metric butt-load?) of points necessary for a big VIP release that he is predicting will show up in the near-ish future.  

I'm afraid you might be right and I'm seriously jeopardizing the "Obvious" namesake here. It's more based on hope that my emotional purchases from LEGO direct will be justified.

IRL, I've built my career on a data-driven approach, the same way you pros buy and sell LEGO unemotionally. LEGO is more therapy to me and the career sustains the addiction. 

Currently compiling an Excel sheet of my LEGO store and LEGO.com purchases, rewards redeemed, and profit made from selling my Loyalty rewards. It's not looking good at all...

Reality is, in order to get points, you have to buy direct from LEGO which means full retail price. I can't tell you how much it hurts when I go to the "Daily Deals" page on BP only to see the set I just bought from LEGO is selling on Amazon at 20% off. So in order for rewards to be worth it, you have to take into account that 20% loss. Even with my "big win" rewards followed by many "break evens" if not losses, I'm afraid getting the sets at 20% off on Amazon is about par to what you get with the reward profit unless you cherry picked the rewards correctly (I redeem most of the rewards to spread the chips out).

The only way the Loyalty program works out is if you get a very big winner like the Batpod. Stay tuned for the Excel sheet, there's no way to polish that turd. The numbers will speak for themselves. In the meantime, I'm starting to think the Amazon route is the way to go. 

The only caveat being, is that you can't control the quality of the box from Amazon which is a big deal to us collectors. That needs to be factored in too when considering the overall profit margin if you were to sell your whole collection tomorrow.

Edited by Captain_Obvious
  • Like 3

I get better boxes from Amazon than lego.com

I've said it before, the days of big nice exclusive VIP rewards that can be directly redeemed are over in my opinion. LEGO wishes it could get a mulligan on the batpod. Would have been way better for them to raffle it off like all the other premium VIP items. The adidas shoe was an outlier as well. And not even that great. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, pharmjod said:

I get better boxes from Amazon than lego.com

I've said it before, the days of big nice exclusive VIP rewards that can be directly redeemed are over in my opinion. LEGO wishes it could get a mulligan on the batpod. Would have been way better for them to raffle it off like all the other premium VIP items. The adidas shoe was an outlier as well. And not even that great. 

seinfeld6.jpg.27c5aac51378ae98853092c7b12d85fc.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

It all changes when u got local lego stores. Stupid SAH limits don’t apply and you don’t buy sets that “amazon will have at 20% off later” you buy exclusive etc etc. sets, sets you know you won’t find elsewhere. During promos, I’ve been buying a lot from lego since pandemic started and we really don’t get good Walmart/target clearance. 
box condition ain’t no problem either, u pick them. 

• Like 2

2 Black Fridays ago, I got around a dozen Architecture sets off Amazon.  When they arrived, they had decent shelfwear.  I got on the chat on the Amazon site, relaying this to them, and they gave me a discount for them.  I forget exactly how much, but it was in the ballpark of 10-20%.

2 hours ago, Lordoflego said:

It all changes when u got local lego stores. Stupid SAH limits don’t apply and you don’t buy sets that “amazon will have at 20% off later” you buy exclusive etc etc. sets, sets you know you won’t find elsewhere. During promos, I’ve been buying a lot from lego since pandemic started and we really don’t get good Walmart/target clearance. 
box condition ain’t no problem either, u pick them. 

B&M stores will impose the same limits if you shop too much or make regular big purchases.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Lordoflego said:

I have 5 stores and week has 7 days. I dance, sing and jump around those limits. 

I skip too ;) 

I have 9 I can visit.  Not very practical to hit all nine on a regular basis and once you try to do big purchases they know.  Then it’s just a matter of if they will work you with or not.  And even if they do, it’s only a matter of time before corporate says something.  And I really don’t get into new/quick flip stuff.

Not saying it can’t be done, but it’s not that easy either.  Most of the incentive of H&M’s’ are the GWP’s.  Not very practical to make a trip for one.

On 4/8/2022 at 2:38 PM, Captain_Obvious said:

Ah, F lol. Maybe this is a way to please the plebs before the big May drop ; ) 

The hat is cool and I'm digging the worn feel. However, I'd rather scoop one for $50 on eBay, and save for the big bang!

brickfanatics

Reported overproduction of the LEGO Star Wars: The Skywalker Saga Blue Milk Luke polybag is rumoured to lead to it being given away on May the Fourth.

On 4/9/2022 at 10:01 AM, gmpirate said:

B&M stores will impose the same limits if you shop too much or make regular big purchases.

really?  

14 hours ago, Lordoflego said:

I have 5 stores and week has 7 days. I dance, sing and jump around those limits. 

I skip too ;) 

I thought Lords made the limits?

• Like 1

• exciter1 changed the title to LEGO VIP Insiders/GWP Discussion