Star Wars 2021

brickvoyeur

They (Lego) seem late this year with the reveals and announcements.  Last year, I only ordered the previewed Razorcrest on May 1st, 2020 and it had been revealed in mid-Feb. Although, 2019 the big reveal was the Tantive IV in mid-April. So maybe the have time.

1 hour ago, Dark Helmet said:

I’m surprised there has been no leaks. Then have been able to keep a tight lid on this. Still going back and forth on if I should dump my last couple of r2s

I dumped mine. Got a decent return on it and if I held longer, the return isn't going to be huge. Especially with the possible risk of downside if it is truly redone. 

7 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I’m surprised there has been no leaks. Then have been able to keep a tight lid on this. Still going back and forth on if I should dump my last couple of r2s

If this is true (and still maybe if it's not) - Yes, it is time to take a dump.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Dark Helmet said:

I would definitely dump the old UCS R2's.  If it really is the R2 in may, then I will be extremely disappointed.  I was hoping it would be the Gunship in May and the AT-AT in the fall.  No offense to the R2 Set but the new version will definitely de-value the previous one. 

This is what pisses me off...The previous R2 set is like 7 to 8yrs old and the TIE Interceptor and Vaders is like 15 to 20 yrs old.  And the later 2 look old and very outdated.  My point is IF you are going to remake sets (I would prefer new ships), then why not remake the ones that need updating?

• Like 1

On 3/2/2021 at 7:30 PM, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I only have 1 (NISB) so its a personal collection piece for me...I may feel different I was sitting on a bunch.  Would love a UCS Ghost which includes a docked Phantom (I'm thinking it would need to be $400-$600 to be done right)...bringing back the playset version would be nice so long as it was an improvement (landing gear would be nice)

BrickVault have instructions for a UCS Ghost MOC. You're looking at four figures to build it so it isn't cheap.

2 hours ago, cardensb said:

It makes me wonder how Lego and Disney decide what to release?  Is anyone really excited for another R2? I would rather have a ship also.  Actually, I just want a Vader's TIE set that is not a decade old.

IDK; the UCS R2 is pretty expensive and if I didn't have one I would definitely be stoked to get a re-release.  The model size and details totally is in line w/ the current LEGO trend w/ BB-8, Yoda, and Grogu...and maybe that answers your question of the why now? (ie Mandolorian) 

I recently sold UCS R2 in anticipation of new R2 coming. Usually LEGO remakes are far superior to the old ones with LEGO continuously churning out new pieces. Not to mention more intricate building technics on some of these newer sets. But we will see. I see this as sort of the old creator beetle vs new creator beetle. LOL as I was typing this, I checked what the price of old beetle was going for and perhaps I shouldn't have sold it. AH such is life.

1 hour ago, lebrick said:

I recently sold UCS R2 in anticipation of new R2 coming. Usually LEGO remakes are far superior to the old ones with LEGO continuously churning out new pieces. Not to mention more intricate building technics on some of these newer sets. But we will see. I see this as sort of the old creator beetle vs new creator beetle. LOL as I was typing this, I checked what the price of old beetle was going for and perhaps I shouldn't have sold it. AH such is life.

yeah 4sure it's never as simple as new is better.  I find that typically when they are similar enough but better; like for the recent Tantive; then that rule rings true and the older one's value is diminished (ofcourse that example has also the alternative rule going on as well; w/ the old old one doing great)

Also MFs play a part

Funny thing is, the BB8 is built very similarly to the R2D2...I could not tell that they were decade apart in design. 

2 hours ago, lebrick said:

Likewise I sold a used one which I posted in another thread, but I still have a NISB. To me that is free as I made the profit from selling a used one.

There are various examples of new may not be better / worth more than old, or vice versa. See the UCS Snowspeeder, I'm surprised to see on BL the price of 10129 still holding well and there's a significant gap with the newer version. Then, for the UCS Y-Wing , the gap in price difference is much narrow.

Let's see how the new UCS R2 looks like. Interestingly, I am not seeing a fire sale of 10225 in the local marketplace. 

Brothers Brick (via Walmart) pics for Vader Head 75304, Scout Trooper Head 75305, and Probe Droid 75306. 

I admit, I'm disappointed by the probe droid.  I thought the pics of it always looked amazing, but now that I see the set I expected more.

https://www.brothers-brick.com/2021/03/22/lego-star-wars-adds-75304-darth-vader-75305-scout-trooper-and-750306-imperial-probe-droid-for-spring-2021-news/

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, CosmicSpeed said:

What do you guys think the Vader Helmet does to the Vader Bust 75227? 

To me it looks like they will fall in love and get married. 75227 is more masculine looking.

image.thumb.png.720ff4fdd178dc86a9adaceeaaabfad7.png

Honestly, I'd gamble it is good enough to fill the void for collectors who missed out on 75227. Both models fail to capture Vader in different ways. If you could plop 75227's helmet on 75304 you'd have a good model. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 3/23/2021 at 3:25 PM, brickvoyeur said:

To me it looks like they will fall in love and get married. 75227 is more masculine looking.

image.thumb.png.720ff4fdd178dc86a9adaceeaaabfad7.png

Honestly, I'd gamble it is good enough to fill the void for collectors who missed out on 75227. Both models fail to capture Vader in different ways. If you could plop 75227's helmet on 75304 you'd have a good model. 

The above pic is deceiving.  The entire bust 75227 is about the same size as the head alone on 75304.  So there is definitely a difference between the two.  The bust can easily work as an executive desk display piece while the head is definitely for a large shelf or table. 

The helmet on 75304 bothers me.  In one picture I saw, it looked to me like the helmet is squared off in the back.  While the bust suffers from this brick built issue as well, the round tiles takes the edge off and it looks pretty good.  I don't see that happening with mere plates on 75304.

This years lego Star Wars new set selection has been rather dull, IMO.  The helmets look ok, but i'm not sure I want to buy any of those.  Not sure how they will do as an investment either. 

Only set that I think will have any investment value right now is the Cantina, and that's if it remains limited in the amount of stock that is produced.  The UCS gunship will also be a winner, but that has a while of waiting time. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

This years lego Star Wars new set selection has been rather dull, IMO.  The helmets look ok, but i'm not sure I want to buy any of those.  Not sure how they will do as an investment either. 

Only set that I think will have any investment value right now is the Cantina, and that's if it remains limited in the amount of stock that is produced.  The UCS gunship will also be a winner, but that has a while of waiting time. 

LEGO scaling down the SW sets and scaling up the UCS series is making for a wider gap between kids sets and adult sets both in Set quality and price.  If they continue this trend for years...those inbetween size sets may appreciate in value more than expected.  I would hoard those that are currently hard-to-find or recently retired.  We are already seeing it in the Xwing...I don't think there's many examples of a recent SW mainstream ship set appreciating so much so fast.

1 hour ago, Shortbus311 said:

I agree that the Darth Vader helmet looks a bit off. I think it is the use of plates instead of tiles. As far as the new lines of helmets as a whole, I think they are excellent and will do quite well after retirement.

one over-did it w/ plates and the other over did it with studs

studded SNOT domes ala UCS R2-D2 and BB8 sets ...is a weird look...can't say I love it or hate it..but very LEGO.