Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2019

2 hours ago, DadsAFOL said:

Boxes are very nice. There’s a UV emboss pattern and yes they come sealed on the inner (remember the outer sleeve is meant to slide off and be a background)

The exclusive piece feels disappointing because it’s rare now but not for long. I’m tempted to not reveal it but I’m sure it will be online soon so I might as well.

Thanks - I think it looks great!

I really like the somewhat over the top "Exclusive Element" description card.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Graham Bailey said:

Not too shabby! Actually a pleasant surprise, definitely glad I jumped in and bought some.

that “special” piece is definitely quite disappointing, nothing to do with the set it goes with. 

I think it was pretty much what I was expecting, and the card (silly as it is) helps to make it seem special. They were never going to make a different special piece for each set.

At best we might have gotten a generic minifig w/ the 60 yrs logo printed on it (which would have been better) - but I am happy enough.

• Like 3

I actually like the unique element as it is both the classic standard 2x4 LEGO brick and with the axle holes a Technic one as well. I do side with KShine that a plain minifigure featuring the "60 years" logo printed across the back or front of the torso would have been nice to see (maybe even use the brick included here as a makeshift stand) seeing how the minifigure is synonymously symbolic of the brand yet at the same time, LEGO has always been about its blocks of building. The minifigures are that extra touch breathing life into an otherwise empty world of our own creativity.

Many of us were introduced to the brand through the Galaxy Explorer or the very yellow original Castle. Others with generations of Technic, maybe even the short lived Model Team offshoot. No matter the case from then to now from box to polybag, the one thing every single LEGO set has is the brick ....and the exclusive element here is exactly that. No more, no less. Just with a little reminder of how far we have come.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DadsAFOL said:

Finished building the Lego Story set.  Pretty neat build.  There were a couple sections in the build where I think a professional designer would have done it a little better, but nothing that distracts from the final model.  The 4 vignettes don't actually connect or hinge together, which is something I might try to mod.   The instructions were pretty good, but since I make instructions for our sets I have a more critical eye.   There were a couple steps where some subassemblies could have been easier.  I think it comes from digital building vs physical building.   Sometimes you need to physically put pieces together to see what order makes most sense.

There were no missing parts, which is good.  There are actually a fair amount of extra parts, but I'm not sure if that is intentional, or just variation in hand packing the sets.

Thanks for sharing, looks good.

seems quite a few extra parts, I understand the 1x elements but the 2x ?? better to have extra tho!

Would you be able to share a picture of the instructions?

Is it a book like the ideas sets or more like the “pamphlet” in regular LEGO sets?

9 hours ago, DadsAFOL said:

The book is high quality printing, perfect bound spine.  Color is clear, and parts added to each step are outlined.  Very professional.

Received shipping notification for Wild West Saloon today!

Impressive! Thanks!

now I’m beginning to wonder if they will make anything in profit? The packaging looks very expensive, instructions also they look similar to the books my wife sells using Amazon printing that’s not cheap.

picking the parts and packing has to be very labor intensive too.

i would be very interested in seeing pictures (or a video) of the operatIon in action? Is this being done in their location? Or did they rent a warehouse?

1 hour ago, Graham Bailey said:

now I’m beginning to wonder if they will make anything in profit? The packaging looks very expensive, instructions also they look similar to the books my wife sells using Amazon printing that’s not cheap.

picking the parts and packing has to be very labor intensive too.

i would be very interested in seeing pictures (or a video) of the operatIon in action? Is this being done in their location? Or did they rent a warehouse?

Unless there was some great promotional payoff factored in for Bricklink (awareness/new users, etc) - I don't think they will be making a profit (certainly not a worthwhile time/effort profit, simply based on selling the sets).

In this round, I would hope that they are learning from their mistakes (I can't imagine just throwing this project together without an overwhelming number of issues taking place). Maybe things have been well thought out, and it's been nothing but smooth sailing - but I just couldn't imagine that.

Even with the likely headaches, I would still say that it has been a great success. On the forums, the builders/fans/collectors have all been very enthusiastic - it is great to see.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 3

They rented a warehouse space. It’s pretty impressive. I’m not sure if they will share videos or not when they are done producing the sets. I know they want to keep part of that process proprietary.
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, KShine said:

Unless there was some great promotional payoff factored in for Bricklink (awareness/new users, etc) - I don't think they will be making a profit (certainly not a worthwhile time/effort profit, simply based on selling the sets).

In this round, I would hope that they are learning from their mistakes (I can't imagine just throwing this project together without an overwhelming number of issues taking place). Maybe things have been well thought out, and it's been nothing but smooth sailing - but I just couldn't imagine that.

Even with the likely headaches, I would still say that it has been a great success. On the forums, the builders/fans/collectors have all been very enthusiastic - it is great to see.

wonder if they placed a few sets in a "vault" of their own...in case some sets go Green Grocer

The lack of original parts and minifigs pretty much puts a ceiling on these sets though...or at least until enough rare bricks get retired.

I"ll be watching values for sure. I had intended on building castle expansion with my second set (already got the extra pieces waiting)but just might bricklink my other needed pieces and make some profit off the second castle. There are still a number of folks just learning about the program and sure looking to buy it.  2500 units total seems ABOUT as rare as it could get. And they look as good or better than I had hoped!?

17 minutes ago, Belac said:

I"ll be watching values for sure. I had intended on building castle expansion with my second set (already got the extra pieces waiting)but just might bricklink my other needed pieces and make some profit off the second castle. There are still a number of folks just learning about the program and sure looking to buy it.  2500 units total seems ABOUT as rare as it could get. And they look as good or better than I had hoped!?

The two on eBay are still up at $500 (haven’t sold). imo the value will hit if either there are further series or LEGO take it on. I think one of these will happen, i feel it makes more sense than the Ideas line.

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

wonder if they placed a few sets in a "vault" of their own...in case some sets go Green Grocer

The lack of original parts and minifigs pretty much puts a ceiling on these sets though...or at least until enough rare bricks get retired.

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

They said they would produce them in lots as required, as unlikely as it maybe they could sell 2401 and end up with 99 unsold.

it seems strange to have a window to purchase rather than leave it open until sold out.

im certain the designers have incorporated parts that are uncommon ?

36 minutes ago, Graham Bailey said:

They said they would produce them in lots as required, as unlikely as it maybe they could sell 2401 and end up with 99 unsold.

it seems strange to have a window to purchase rather than leave it open until sold out.

im certain the designers have incorporated parts that are uncommon ?

The Extra employees are likely hired like holiday help.  I guessing they had a choice to make all 2500 and sit on losers. Or just make whats wanted in time frame with the helpers. kind of an obvious statement I know?. Just my 2cent.

The whole idea of the AFOL program was to advertise the Studio 2 program, getting designers invested and start using the software. Where they go from here is any guess. Another round would be welcome, but in theory the program’s limits are pretty strict in terms of what Lego will allow in terms of parts and elements.

The dream would be a seamless design + production + delivery like Amazon’s self publishing, where you could design a set, order the pieces, and have quality instructions included for a fee. I doubt that’s their end goal here, or if it is even possible, but if someone cracks an agreement with Lego to supply the bricks and sync the it to Studio 2, then it will be a whole new ball game.

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum

Nope. 2500 is it, and they sold them all. One of the managers told me he was so busy he forgot to order a castle, and now he can’t get one!

I would expect that they do make some extras on the ones that didn’t sell out, and sell them later, but not too many. LEGO said sales had to stop June 30, so I’m sure they won’t do anything to upset them.
  • Like 2

14 hours ago, DadsAFOL said:

Nope. 2500 is it, and they sold them all. One of the managers told me he was so busy he forgot to order a castle, and now he can’t get one!

I would expect that they do make some extras on the ones that didn’t sell out, and sell them later, but not too many. LEGO said sales had to stop June 30, so I’m sure they won’t do anything to upset them.

Well that last bit is interesting. Thanks for the details!