Bricklink's AFOL Designer Program 2019

3 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Are these Bricklink sets LEGO Certified Professional? If not, I can't really see the value in them. Anybody can box up bricks and make it look pretty - sorry!

I'd say they are better than LCP sets.  Does LEGO help the LCPs with set review/build-ability, packaging design and process, etc? No.  This is more like CUUSOO than LCP.  Actually, if you know the history of LEGO Architecture, this is more like Adam Reed Tucker making the first batch of sets in his garage.  I'll even go out on a limb and suggest if LEGO views this experiment as a success, it may lead to the demise of the Ideas program.

2 hours ago, KShine said:

It will likely be a printed commemorative brick. I can't see one specific piece being properly implemented into the various builds, so it will likely be a piece separate from the set.

A commemorative minifig would be really nice, but it will likely be a brick.

I'm hoping that they allowed the use of some "Q" parts.  LEGO produces small batches of elements in colors that never get used in sets so the designers can build prototype models.  If the model is selected for production, then the "Q" part gets slated for official production.  For example, these prettys go for $1.50 a piece...

3794.jpg

• Like 1

I have been on the fence, since I saw them.  

I now have pledges on several designs, I cancelled and repledged more than once. But am now committed.

whilst some of these designs are pretty good, with originality and character I didn’t think the packaging was great, however looking at it again, I think it is as good as the LEGO Ideas line, perhaps better, looks kinda “Apple-ish” 

i am hoping to resell some later on, they will go into storage for a year or more, if there is another series then that will likely kick these into a good investment slot, if there is no take 2 then perhaps not, however as a parts seller the cost/piece is $0.10 or less so I don’t see an actual “real” loss occurring. Worst case is Christmas and birthday gifts!

my money on the exclusive piece is a tile with the name like “THE LEGO HOUSE” as in the architecture series, or maybe the number in the run.

... it’s a gamble & time will tell! However LEGO on the packaging, individually numbered and the holographic sticker are a major plus

...just my 0.02

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
On 4/13/2019 at 3:54 PM, DadsAFOL said:

I'd say they are better than LCP sets.  Does LEGO help the LCPs with set review/build-ability, packaging design and process, etc? No.  This is more like CUUSOO than LCP.  Actually, if you know the history of LEGO Architecture, this is more like Adam Reed Tucker making the first batch of sets in his garage.  I'll even go out on a limb and suggest if LEGO views this experiment as a success, it may lead to the demise of the Ideas program.

Thanks, I didn't know - hence, my stupid question ?

I might be confused by the term "pre-order" but once this closes today will there be an option for just "order".  Or is this get in by today or you never get one?  Similar question regarding the Castle at close to 2,500, can someone elaborate on why if this reaches 2,500 it is considered "sold out".  What does this mean for those are don't reach 2,500 after today?  Thanks!

Nevermind, I should have looked at the FAQs

Edited by MusiKyle

6 minutes ago, MusiKyle said:

I might be confused by the term "pre-order" but once this closes today will there be an option for just "order".  Or is this get in by today or you never get one?  Similar question regarding the Castle at close to 2,500, can someone elaborate on why if this reaches 2,500 it is considered "sold out".  What does this mean for those are don't reach 2,500 after today?  Thanks!

They are making a maximum of 2500 of each set.

Per the FAQ:

Is there a limit to the total number of sets available?

Yes. A maximum of 2500 copies of each set will be sold. We anticipate several designs will sell out before the end of the sales period or even the pre-order phase, so we encourage potential customers to place their orders sooner than later.

22 minutes ago, locidm said:

Meanwhile, the carnival shooting game build has quietly garnered the #4 most backers after the castle, the saloon, and the Lego factories.

I like the shooting game the best. Pairs well with an existing Lego line. Not sure about investment, the mixer and Ferris Whee (so far) have not set the world on fire. Got one for myself and one for the shelf. 

The only reason I am not buying the castle is because it really isn't that large.  It is comparable to the fishing store, which to me, isn't large enough to play with as the areas to play with are small on the set. Castles from the past have large area's to move and place minifigures.  

This set is more of a mini-castle to me built from pieces that I probably have in my BL store already. Just my 2 cents

• Like 1