75192 - UCS: Millennium Falcon 2017

chinothegeeko

When will you buy your first 75192 UCS Falcon?  

447 members have voted

1. 1. When will you buy your first 75192 UCS Falcon?

• First day VIP early access purchase.
    • 2x VIP promo in October 2017.
    • Wait for discount of between 10%-19%.
    • Wait for discount between 20%-29%.
    • Wait for discount of at least 30%.
    • Wait until it shows solid signs of retiring.
    • No plans to buy this set.

Picked up the stand from Wicked Brick.  Will start building this when it arrives.  Hope I can find a good display space, but at least my needed footprint will be much smaller now.  

Anyone have a good spot to pick up LED's for the engines?  The pack that is sold on ebay is nice but I don't need all the sounds and crap and coming from Australia is going to cost a fortune. 

3 minutes ago, brickwheatloaf said:

i put 20k of my hard earned money last year into bitcoins and it turned out a disaster. 

im doing 75192s this year, i hate dang cryptocurrencies now. even if i need to hollow out a area in my floorspace to store them, im doing 75192s.. 

You can start by winning one!  

https://stpaulbrl.rallyup.com/f91a5b

On 2/12/2018 at 8:55 AM, Ed Mack said:

Not anymore.  Maybe one day, it will hit those levels again, but the chances of that are not really good.  What happens in 10 years to the 75192 if the 12345 UCS Millennium Falcon is released with 10,000 pieces?  Who knows?

9000 pieces is the upper limit on what a human being can construct so i dont think we needa worry about the 10k edition. 

since disney is making all these new trilogies and stuff doesn't that make you hopeful they wont be repeating the MF for the 9th time. there's gonna be a ton of new stuff to draw from. if they come back to the MF again it'd just be to troll the speculators. 

Edited by brickwheatloaf

11 minutes ago, brickwheatloaf said:

9000 pieces is the upper limit on what a human being can construct so i dont think we needa worry about the 10k edition. 

since disney is making all these new trilogies and stuff doesn't that make you hopeful they wont be repeating the MF for the 9th time. there's gonna be a ton of new stuff to draw from. if they come back to the MF again it'd just be to troll the speculators. 

Disney has destroyed the LEGO STAR WARS theme IMO.  It will not recover until Disney stops making STAR WARS movies.  Every years there are dozens of repeats, retreads, and similar STAR WARS sets released.  The theme always had issues with remakes, but now it is just insane.  While there are some really great sets being released, will more than a handful become collectible and valuable after they retire?  

• Like 1

On 09/03/2018 at 9:20 PM, Ed Mack said:

Disney has destroyed the LEGO STAR WARS theme IMO.  It will not recover until Disney stops making STAR WARS movies.  Every years there are dozens of repeats, retreads, and similar STAR WARS sets released.  The theme always had issues with remakes, but now it is just insane.  While there are some really great sets being released, will more than a handful become collectible and valuable after they retire?  

I don't think it helps that many of the ship designs are fairly poor facsimiles of those from the original trilogy, or that when they do deviate they don't seem to be very compelling vs. the designs from the prequels.

The Disney movies have essentially copied the X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Star Destroyer designs, and just tweaked them slightly. SDs in particular grow to ever-more-ridiculous dimensions while keeping the same fundamental shape. Both Kylo's and Krennic's shuttles, although not bad designs, are essentially variations on the shuttle first seen in ROTJ (three wings, two of which fold-up). Even if LEGO weren't making too many sets (which they obviously are) how many variants of the same thing can someone be compelled to buy?

As regards the new ships, I think Rogue One's have fared the best -- I really like the U-Wing, and the stolen Imperial shuttle was pretty cool (strange that they haven't released a set of that). The less said about the forgettable resistance ship in TFA, and TLJ's bomber and skimmer, the better.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, binary_storm said:

I don't think it helps that many of the ship designs are fairly poor facsimiles of those from the original trilogy, or that when they do deviate they don't seem to be very compelling vs. the designs from the prequels.

The Disney movies have essentially copied the X-Wing, TIE Fighter and Star Destroyer designs, and just tweaked them slightly. SDs in particular grow to ever-more-ridiculous dimensions while keeping the same fundamental shape. Both Kylo's and Krennic's shuttles, although not bad designs, are essentially variations on the shuttle first seen in ROTJ (three wings, two of which fold-up). Even if LEGO weren't making too many sets (which they obviously are) how many variants of the same thing can someone be compelled to buy?

As regards the new ships, I think Rogue One's have fared the best -- I really like the U-Wing, and the stolen Imperial shuttle was pretty cool (strange that they haven't released a set of that). The less said about the forgettable resistance ship in TFA, and TLJ's bomber and skimmer, the better.

Surely it makes sense that the ships in the new trilogy look similar to the OT as they have evolved in design and bee improved. That's what happens with real world cars, planes etc.

let another forget the ships in the Prequel trilogy looked absurd in the own right but also absurd in just how advanced it all looked despite being set 30yeara before the OT. I think the PT comes off far worse 

1 hour ago, andyposterfan said:

Surely it makes sense that the ships in the new trilogy look similar to the OT as they have evolved in design and bee improved. That's what happens with real world cars, planes etc.

let another forget the ships in the Prequel trilogy looked absurd in the own right but also absurd in just how advanced it all looked despite being set 30yeara before the OT. I think the PT comes off far worse 

Don't you dare defend the new star wars movies, they've ruined my childhood!

~sarcasm intended~

Yes of course it makes sense that the vehicles are similar.

A 2018 Porsche still kinda looks like a 1988 Porsche.

1_-_2018_Porsche_911_GT3_640x420.jpg

1988_porsche_911-pic-48988-1600x1200.jpe

2 hours ago, binary_storm said:

I agree.  I know I am beating a dead horse, but LEGO has plenty of STAR WARS vehicles and characters they could turn into UCS sets.  There was no need for another X-Wing, Snowspeeder and Y-Wing.  

18 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

I agree.  I know I am beating a dead horse, but LEGO has plenty of STAR WARS vehicles and characters they could turn into UCS sets.  There was no need for another X-Wing, Snowspeeder and Y-Wing.  

How about a UCS Kessel run Falcon,then? :) 

6 hours ago, binary_storm said:

I agree with everything you said.  The U-Wing was creative.  Although I have to wonder why they didn't call it a W-Wing.  Obviously, V-Wing had already been taken... sadly.

One thought.  The "new" x-wing was a shout-out to the original x-wing concept art.  In effect, the x-wing went retro.  Rest of the ships in the new movies, minus Rogue One, are basically the same.

Compared to the prequels, Clone Wars, and Rebels, the new movies have been lame when it comes to ship design.  Kylo Ren's Shuttle might have been cool, if it was all in black and the wings swung outwards like the movie depicted.  Jangbricks did a MOD that looks awesome and I wish had been the actual set: 

Edited by exracer327

10 hours ago, exracer327 said:

Oh, and along the lines of why is LEGO rehashing UCS models, why has there never been a UCS A-Wing?  Is there really that much hate for the A-Wing?  The A-Wing and X-Wing have always been my favorite two ships.

Hate?  If anything, the opposite.  There's literally an A-Wing remake every couple of years now from Lego.  I think we've had three in the last 4 years (albeit not UCS).  They probably feel that given the size of the ship, a systems set is a better place for it.  The UCS Jedi Star Fighter a few years ago, didn't do all that well and they may well be thinking that this would be how a UCS A-Wing would be received.  If you desperately want a UCS U-Wing, Anio's MOC is a great example.  Can be bricklinked for about £250 all in.

13 hours ago, RKI_Fismo said:

How about a UCS Kessel run Falcon,then? :) 

Maybe for the 50th anniversary release.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Cheese said:

Hate?  If anything, the opposite.  There's literally an A-Wing remake every couple of years now from Lego.  I think we've had three in the last 4 years (albeit not UCS).  They probably feel that given the size of the ship, a systems set is a better place for it.  The UCS Jedi Star Fighter a few years ago, didn't do all that well and they may well be thinking that this would be how a UCS A-Wing would be received.  If you desperately want a UCS U-Wing, Anio's MOC is a great example.  Can be bricklinked for about £250 all in.

I agree, there has been at least four A-Wings (3 ships and 1 in the Home One set).  In fact, the Home One set actually captured the fact that Lucas intended for the A-Wings to be Green in color.  Hence "Green Squadron" in ROTJ.  But he had trouble the green screens so he changed them to red.  Additionally, the way LEGO dealt with the angled wings this last time was kind of like cheating.  When you can't built it via LEGO, just make a new piece to capture it.  lol

Of course I was speaking to the UCS model specifically.  I've seen a couple of UCS A-Wing MOCs.  Each has some good points but I don't think any of them really capture the A-Wing.  I've been playing with ideas to build one myself, but I rarely get the time to play with it.  I just build portions.  The wings, nose, and angled tail fins are the tricky parts.  They have off-setting angles and the curvature of the wings are a challenge to capture without making the set overly heavy.  I'm trying to keep the studs in view to a minimum as well.  I also have what I think is a cleaver idea for playability of the build.  I know that is not typical of UCS builds, but if it works, I can't imagine anyone not wanting this feature.  Adults will have to keep their kids from wanting to play with the ship.  If I ever get something together I'll most likely post it on here or rebrickable.

The UCS Jedi Starfighter, although beautifully built rendition of the ship, is from a prequel.  I would think the B-Wing would be a better example of how the A-Wing might do.  As the UCS B-Wing predates my getting back into LEGO I do not know how well it did in stores.  I see them moving pretty consistently on ebay, etc. between $200 - $300 used, $400+ NISB.  Considering originally it sold for $200, I'd say there was a demand for it and most likely the A-Wing as well.  But like I said, capturing the smooth curvature of the wings and the inverse angles of the nose is challenging.  I know it cane be done.  The B-Wing is a good example where they accurately captured the flowing lines and curvature of the ship.  Ah, if only I had pursued that LEGO career I considered when I was a kid...

Then again, this thread is for discussing the UCS MF, so let us return to our regularly scheduled forum...