Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

5 hours ago, exracer327 said:

I had a thought after reading your comment.  Ideas sets don't typically run for years-on-end.  I don't think it's a matter of the 1% they're paying to the creators, it's more like LEGO can only run a limited # of Ideas sets at a given time.  Rather than maxing out the Ideas production list, they'll retire a couple from Ideas and then re-release them as Creator sets.  This not only frees LEGO from the 1% royalty but also frees slots for additional Ideas sets.  LEGO could be gearing up to produce these for a while (I.E. VW T1, Tower Bridge, etc.)

Wait so this is why the T1 is being retired, only to be brought back as a creator set. That's very likely imo.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, LegoSteve said:

If I had to guess TLG will be doing this every Q4 from now on. They'll identify 3-5 throwback sets to recycle each year. I don't think it would be that difficult to guess which sets to stay clear of if that's what you'd like to do.

I do agree but not with being able to predict which set. I would never of thought they would come back with the ship. 

personally i think lego is playing russian roulette & its there turn to pull the trigger.

this is terrible for sales, this does not only effect resellers, its the entire market structure, used set prices will fall through the floor, which will effect builders.

i'd love to know what % of sets actually is tied up with EOL resellers.

could this not just be because covid has setback many themes due for release now like ghostbusters & they are trying to fill the gap?

11 hours ago, Voltron said:

Man where's the bearers of bad news, tabbyboy and val-e when you need them.

I remember tabby used to go on about lego re-releasing sets but thought he was just joking lol

I remember Tabbyboy stating he had gone REALLY deep on Saturn V. Like a warehouse packed full of them. But after that he's gone quiet in here. Or at least on that account. 

Val-E has gone quiet and not shown much sign of life since the Covid epidemic hit Europe. I hope he's okay.

Also noticed the asking price on Bricklink for 21309 has dropped considerably, and on other places the number of sellers increased dramatically with lowered prices as well. A lot of sellers dropping ship and trying to get rid of dead stock. Like rats trying to escape a sinking ship. 🤣

Edited by HandyHand
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

22 minutes ago, HandyHand said:

I remember Tabbyboy stating he had gone REALLY deep on Saturn V. Like a warehouse packed full of them. But after that he's gone quiet in here. Or at least on that account. 

Val-E has gone quiet and not shown much sign of life since the Covid epidemic hit Europe. I hope he's okay.

Also noticed the asking price on Bricklink for 21309 has dropped considerably, and on other places the number of sellers increased dramatically with lowered prices as well. A lot of sellers dropping ship and trying to get rid of dead stock. Like rats trying to escape a sinking ship. 🤣

I dont get why this would e funny in any way? Yesterday i already saw the prices on Ebay Germnay drop from 180 to 130 in some cases.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, benjamin4172 said:

Yesterday i already saw the prices on Ebay Germnay drop from 180 to 130 in some cases.

I think it's rather premature to sell it at such low prices. The Ideas 21309 was greatly underpriced by LEGO! I am absolutely convinced LEGO will readjust the price of the re-release version accordingly to match both the brick-count (1969 bricks, would normally hover closer to €190 at the average 10 cent per brick) and the popularity of the set. Even at a very meagre 7 cents per brick it would be already close to €140. 

I'd expect the re-released Saturn V to be around the €150 mark, so if you'd bought the Ideas set well below RRP back then, you'll be fine.

Edited by HandyHand
  • Thanks 2

You all are crazy. I resold my Saturn V for $265 on Bricklink and didn't bat an eye. What are the "long term reselling strategies" left at this point? The only ones I can think of are  with themes like Elves or Brickheadz that won't likely see remakes.  

The Saturn V is iconic and you'll likely see some redesign beyond simple nuance. Remember, NASA made a flew three types of the Saturn V rocket --We may even get a skylab module variant. Likewise, I'm sure the ship in the bottle will get a new ship design. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, raulaco said:

Wait so this is why the T1 is being retired, only to be brought back as a creator set. That's very likely imo.  

I hesitated to respond because you clearly didn't read what I wrote the first time.  

Ideas sets have limited shelf life.  Creator sets (like the T1 - currently at 9 years) have very long shelf life.  End set as Ideas (and the 1% royalty given to its creator) and relaunch as creator set so it can be produced for years (like the T1).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HandyHand said:

I think it's rather premature to sell it at such low prices. The Ideas 21309 was greatly underpriced by LEGO! I am absolutely convinced LEGO will readjust the price of the re-release version accordingly to match both the brick-count (1969 bricks, would normally hover closer to €190 at the average 10 cent per brick) and the popularity of the set. Even at a very meagre 7 cents per brick it would be already close to €140. 

I'd expect the re-released Saturn V to be around the €150 mark, so if you'd bought the Ideas set well below RRP back then, you'll be fine.

Yes, and by this logic Lego should also change the price of Central Perk to $100. 

58 minutes ago, Mark Twain said:

The Saturn V is iconic and you'll likely see some redesign beyond simple nuance. Remember, NASA made a flew three types of the Saturn V rocket --We may even get a skylab module variant. Likewise, I'm sure the ship in the bottle will get a new ship design. 

I like that idea a lot - A different type of Saturn V, and a different ship.

It would be a win/win for everyone - I just hope that you are correct.

10 hours ago, raindog said:

1. Has this information been vetted?  Is there another reliable source other than the Stone Wars site?

2. "LEGO doesn't do pre-orders, they do backorders but NEVER preorders!"  Oh yeah?

aaa.jpeg

aaa.jpg

When I said LEGO doesn't do pre-order I meant lego.com This would disqualify FORMA. Also, this photo with mistakes pointed out is over 1 year old. At that time lego.com had never done pre-orders. Considering the only pre-order on lego.com you can find is a Covid-19, Fan event, set that HAS to be sold online, is an anomaly. 

49 minutes ago, Saruman said:

When I said LEGO doesn't do pre-order I meant lego.com This would disqualify FORMA. Also, this photo with mistakes pointed out is over 1 year old. At that time lego.com had never done pre-orders. Considering the only pre-order on lego.com you can find is a Covid-19, Fan event, set that HAS to be sold online, is an anomaly. 

Weren't the Mandalorian sets pre-orders? 

According to Brickfanatics, Lego has confirmed the re-release with Lego Ambassadors: 

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-ideas-saturn-v-and-ship-in-bottle-reissues-officially-confirmed/

The two sets are being re-launched due to popular demand, and as they had already left the market, we could not keep the original numbers. The agreements with the Fan Designers remain unchanged.
Also: one of the new set numbers matches a fan designer’s birthday. They were both very involved in the process.

Don't like or "thank" this comment. Only sad faces 😭😢:cry::cry::cry:

And one more for Tabby, who has pallets of rockets 😿

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 3

10 minutes ago, Saruman said:

Already got rid of all my Saturn V's. Lucky I was smart enough to not follow the crowd in hoarding this.

Amen brother!

Edit: Why not double down against the crowd and scoop up more when they release it again?  Surely this will be the set that resellers will be afraid to touch which could present quite the opportunity for some.

Edited by LegoSteve

10 minutes ago, Saruman said:

Already got rid of all my Saturn V's. Lucky I was smart enough to not follow the crowd in hoarding this.

I've got one left and was really struggling between building it or selling it since the price was so high.  TLG made this decision for me and I really do look forward to building it in the near future.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, brickvoyeur said:

According to Brickfanatics, Lego has confirmed the re-release with Lego Ambassadors: 

https://www.brickfanatics.com/lego-ideas-saturn-v-and-ship-in-bottle-reissues-officially-confirmed/

Don't like or "thank" this comment. Only sad faces 😭😢:cry::cry::cry:

And one more for Tabby, who has pallets of rockets 😿

Maybe he may build a big one from LEGO to fly to the moon, :)

• Like 1

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V