Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

10 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

re-release of ship in a bottle is a game changer (IMO).  I think fundamentally...this changes many investor's idea of "going deep" in a set...seems like just too much risk. Also hold times are also looked at more closely and with the recent uptick on scams on $300+ sets...there's is now a "too ripe" in my book.

This is exactly what I'm thinking. It seems now the lego group can retire anything after christmas only to bring it back before the next christmas to take advantage of the boost in sales. They can clearly do this with any set, ship in bottle in just the start. The risk is just way to high now for investors as christmas period is the best selling time for most and this takes away all that. 

2 minutes ago, MotorCityMuscle said:

so why don't they re-release modulars? 

They will do its only a matter of time.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, supergtp1 said:

I'd love to get me a re-release of the Green Grocer and Cafe Corner! yes please!!!!

If they rerelease one- than its the green grocer. And if this happens Im definitaley out of the Game. I just dumped my 4 left Saturn V at Ebay in about 30 Minutes. The next days and weeks there will be a flood of them. And they are going towards MSRP and under I predict.

1 minute ago, benjamin4172 said:

If they rerelease one- than its the green grocer. And if this happens Im definitaley out of the Game. I just dumped my 4 left Saturn V at Ebay in about 30 Minutes. The next days and weeks there will be a flood of them. And they are going towards MSRP and under I predict.

There will be a flood of a lot of Lego soon lol. I'm defiantly out the game to my wife's delight. Although she said I've said this before but enough is enough. 

Just now, Sozial said:

Yes doom is near. I suppose Lego will now take over all the empty retail spaces next to their stores due to covid and reproduce every set they ever released.

Relax guys, of course it sucks with a rerelease, but maybe you just have to adapt.

Sorry just read the doom is near part. They more than likely will be re releasing the popular sets that have gone up in value. They could be easily looking at how sets perform on eBay or Amazon and bringing them back accordingly. Anyone who doesn't think this is absolutely terrible for investing needs to open there eyes. Won't be long before eBay and Amazon sellers are gated anyway so it's all in there pockets.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sozial said:

Yes doom is near. I suppose Lego will now take over all the empty retail spaces next to their stores due to covid and reproduce every set they ever released.

Relax guys, of course it sucks with a rerelease, but maybe you just have to adapt.

This is a hobby for me, so I don't buy tons of sets.  But I will buy more than one of sets I like.  However, if I, a small fry, stop buying multiples, how will LEGO's sales be impacted when those who buy hundreds stop doing so?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

To be fair, some guy here been calling it for years with the Saturn v immediate release. It won’t be common. Calm down. Lego know aftermarket is huge, they kill the aftermarket they kill sales. That’s a fact.

And this is what I really dont get. The Saturn...yeah of cours totally acceptable, even the shelflife was extended. And its one of the most iconic Sets...and so on.....BUT the Ship? Come on!

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, exracer327 said:

This is a hobby for me, so I don't buy tons of sets.  But I will buy more than one of sets I like.  However, if I, a small fry, stop buying multiples, how will LEGO's sales be impacted when those who buy hundreds stop doing so?

I could not imagine it does not have any impact...there are people that have 50 Saturns...that equals 50 regular people...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, joneyyy1981 said:

To be fair, some guy here been calling it for years with the Saturn v immediate release. It won’t be common. Calm down. Lego know aftermarket is huge, they kill the aftermarket they kill sales. That’s a fact.

The thing is though Lego don't give a toss about re sellers. They maybe don't realise how much it will affect them with people no longer wanting to invest. There bringing back two sets which imo is a start of many. Why on earth is the ship in bottle back. I swear this is a new era and just the start. We've already had a few other sets re appearing early in the year which were meant to have been retired. 

4 minutes ago, raulaco said:

The thing is though Lego don't give a toss about re sellers. They maybe don't realise how much it will affect them with people no longer wanting to invest. There bringing back two sets which imo is a start of many. Why on earth is the ship in bottle back. I swear this is a new era and just the start. We've already had a few other sets re appearing early in the year which were meant to have been retired. 

I've heard this exact statement for years. And some/several do come back. So what? LEGO has been doing this for a long time. The important lesson is to diversify (edit: and don't hold for TOO long).

Edited by minicoopers11
  • Like 1

Just now, raulaco said:

The funny thing is though that sets like the great hall etc are being kept going by resellers and then we kind of shoot ourselfs in the foot. 

Maybe now they have done this and many are out the game they will find these sets not doing anywhere near as well and retiring then properly. 

Maybe its some kind of cleansing...;-)

BtW sales in Germany hit Msrp on Ebay

Just now, minicoopers11 said:

I've heard this exact statement for years. And some/several do come back. So what? LEGO has been doing this for a long time. The important lesson is to diversify.

Yes but there hasn't been a year like this one for re releases. This year had had quite a few sets come back and now stay back. Diversify is fine but also not great when you have to stay away buying multiples of popular sets. 

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V