Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

1 minute ago, LegoSteve said:

Can we have more people comment on here how they are done with reselling LEGO because of this? Lol! Folks, move your crap when it's time and don't sit on 100 sets just for the sake of drooling all over them. Ya'll better dump all of your T1 Campers before the come back before Q4 2021.  How long were you going to wait to dump all of your Saturn V's, till they got to $400?

Screenshot_20200917-173740_Chrome.jpg

Hindsight is 2020.

And yes, without retirement, this set may have hit $400 easy, perhaps $500. It's a gorgeous iconic set with a relatively short lifespan. At least hitherto.

This ressurection is out of any logic. Why they didnt just extend the life of these sets ? They finished just a year ago...

Why they didnt reissue other popular sets, which are dead much longer? If we are in space, then they could make a remake of Shuttle, or some of the old modulars, which were missed by many actual AFOLs.

If there is some time limit in contracts with IDEAS designers, they could easy just change it and the authors would be more than happy to have more profits.

If TLF decides to stop production of some sets, the reason is that they cannot produce every set for very long time, since there are many new sets every year and they have a limited production capacity. So why changing this logic? Why they are playing such game in a COVID year, when they are not able to produce enough pieces of actual sets? Its crazy.

I understand the panic here, since such remakes are game changers, but still there is a lot of space for investments:

- TLG cannot make many remakes, since they need to bring new sets and their capacity is limited - so i dont expect more than 1-2 remakes per year.

- its good to prefer short-term investments and sell the sets within 1-2 years to minimize the damages caused by remakes. For example, I sold most of the Saturns in the middle of this year, got nice profit, now need to sell ASAP the rest - and the remake is just a new opportunity to buy further pieces, when the new version will go to EOL. A risk of remakes affects primarly the popular sets, which prices are rising quickly, so there is still a 1 year window to sell them. 

- this situation brings higher pressure to investigation and controlling the situation, to estimate which set could be released again. So the market would be cleaned from simply investors just sitting on popular sets and waiting years for big profit.

Edited by fantomas007

I thought the sky was falling when the DS got the extra cheese slope, then I was certain it was falling when they re-released the winter village toy store, then taj Mahal, then that Technic semi truck (I'm sure I'm missing some more). The moral is, it's happened before and we're still here moaning about it because the sky never really falls.  Stick around long enough and you'll see that this is just part of the game.

• Like 5

12 minutes ago, lazuli16 said:

I thought the sky was falling when the DS got the extra cheese slope, then I was certain it was falling when they re-released the winter village toy store, then taj Mahal, then that Technic semi truck (I'm sure I'm missing some more). The moral is, it's happened before and we're still here moaning about it because the sky never really falls.  Stick around long enough and you'll see that this is just part of the game.

The sky has in fact fallen for many, as the LEGO moves changed the game, which also made continuing as before impossible for many (or at least no longer worthwhile).

1 hour ago, Voltron said:

Man where's the bearers of bad news, tabbyboy and val-e when you need them.

I remember tabby used to go on about lego re-releasing sets but thought he was just joking lol

It really makes sense for rereleases. Especially as Lego improves the manufacturing process over time. I wonder if the Snowspeeder being released to VIP's again in Europe (I think this happened over the summer?) should have been another indicator? We could be seeing the beginning of certain Lego sets just essentially never retiring (might see this with Hogwarts and the Disney Castle?), as they could just reprint them at any given moment.

• Like 1

Just now, spener90 said:

It really makes sense for rereleases. Especially as Lego improves the manufacturing process over time. I wonder if the Snowspeeder being released to VIP's again in Europe (I think this happened over the summer?) should have been another indicator? We could be seeing the beginning of certain Lego sets just essentially never retiring (might see this with Hogwarts and the Disney Castle?), as they could just reprint them at any given moment.

or custom orders of ANY LEGO set past to present...this is the FUTURE 

5 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

or custom orders of ANY LEGO set past to present...this is the FUTURE 

Pick a Brick exists. There is no reason why this couldn't eventually be a thing. Whether it would be smart for business is the big questions? I know I would be more hesitant to buy certain sets if I knew they would basically never go away. Basically removes FOMO.

29 minutes ago, spener90 said:

This concept worked wonders for Disney for years.  They'd put their animated movies "in the vault" and only release a couple a year, then they went back into the vault for the next 7-10 years.  Imagine LEGO doing this and so a set goes into retirement for a few years but then it comes out for a limited time and all the people who just came out of their dark ages have to have it and then we come in and stock up again and fill the void for 3-5 years until it gets released again.

5 hours ago, Bricklectic said:

It may relate to the fact that these were 2 very popular sets that just retired. It's possible that it's easier to re-produce sets that they were all tooled up to make as recently as a few months ago.

Alternatively, it may be specific to the ideas theme and the related payment structure.

All speculation. Impossible to know for sure.

I had a thought after reading your comment.  Ideas sets don't typically run for years-on-end.  I don't think it's a matter of the 1% they're paying to the creators, it's more like LEGO can only run a limited # of Ideas sets at a given time.  Rather than maxing out the Ideas production list, they'll retire a couple from Ideas and then re-release them as Creator sets.  This not only frees LEGO from the 1% royalty but also frees slots for additional Ideas sets.  LEGO could be gearing up to produce these for a while (I.E. VW T1, Tower Bridge, etc.)

7 hours ago, Saruman said:

Seriously, stop it with this OBVIOUSLY doctored photo. LEGO is still releasing it under the theme Ideas. Remember last time I pointed out all the mistakes in this or do I need to refresh someone's memory.

Mistakes on Brickpicker.jpg

1. Has this information been vetted?  Is there another reliable source other than the Stone Wars site?

2. "LEGO doesn't do pre-orders, they do backorders but NEVER preorders!"  Oh yeah?

aaa.jpeg

aaa.jpg

Edited by raindog
  • Like 2

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V