Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

I bought a used 10030 UCS Star Destroyer (original) locally for $250. It had the box and instructions and the guy said it was 100% complete. $117 bricklink order later and it was complete. Ended up selling it on Mercari when they were running a deal to list stuff in the collectibles category and they waived all fees. Sold it for $400 shipped, so I lost $10 and gas/shipping supplies/time... they can't all be winners.

11 minutes ago, Shortbus311 said:
1 hour ago, Thanos75 said:

I bought a used 10030 UCS Star Destroyer (original) locally for $250. It had the box and instructions and the guy said it was 100% complete. $117 bricklink order later and it was complete. Ended up selling it on Mercari when they were running a deal to list stuff in the collectibles category and they waived all fees. Sold it for $400 shipped, so I lost $10 and gas/shipping supplies/time... they can't all be winners.

thanks for sharing...this reality-type example help folks weigh the risks.

Is Mercari legit?  prices seem all over the place and I have no idea if it's more scam than real

57 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Is Mercari legit?  prices seem all over the place and I have no idea if it's more scam than real

Mercari is legit. Just kind of like the wild west of buying and selling. Same as nationwide Offerup. It is a great place to score valuable, underpriced LEGO sets, or at least it used to be. Buying got really competitive last year and you must be quick on the draw. Took to much babysitting, so I only go on from time to time anymore to buy. 

I've sold a few sets here and there. Had mostly good luck. 

• Like 2

Mercari has been ok for me. I haven't sold a ton on there, but every once in a while they have seller promotions such as the aforementioned no selling fees in collectibles category, or list 8 items and get a coupon for $25 off a $100 purchase. I try to take advantage of those when I can. The main benefit to Mercari had been the flat 10% fee they charge, but starting on 1 Oct they will be adding 2.9% payment processing fee and $.30 transaction fee, so they will be just the same as Ebay. Honestly, I don't see how they will survive after increasing their fees, there will no longer be an incentive to sell there instead of Ebay and they have much lower traffic. The only benefit I guess would be to spread out sales through different payment processors to below the 20k/year tax reporting requirements.
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Shortbus311 said:

The only benefit I guess would be to spread out sales through different payment processors to below the 20k/year tax reporting requirements.

Emazers? Looks like there is a class reunion starting.

The biggest perk of Mercari is the 3 day return window. For a set like the Saturn V, it was a great place to move it. I flung a few of them there, and by the time the masses knew of the re-release the return window was closed. 

Edited by brickvoyeur

17 minutes ago, TheBrickClique said:

FYI.  Amazon found some dusty Saturn V 21309's in the back fo the warehouse and put them up for RRP.

https://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Apollo-Saturn-Science-Building/dp/B071G3QMS2

Responding in the correct topic to avoid spamming people's email

I'd like to believe that Amazon was keeping a stash hidden away to scalp themselves, but Bezos was blindsided as well by the rerelease. Undercutting the lowest aftermarket prices to completely tank whatever remained of the market. 

Edited by brickvoyeur
  • Like 1

It's safe to say the Saturn V is the biggest catastrophe yet. Forget a tumbler scenario!

There have never been more people that bought so many of a particular set. What a flood. And worst of all: not everyone knows about this yet. Wait until LEGO officially posts something.

The only positive is that this will without a doubt scare people. The negative: LEGO proves again how unpredictable they are now. 

• Like 5

Spare a thought for the "best" set in your stash and think how you'd feel if you didn't sell today, it was re-eleased and you paid over RRP for it. Some recent 21309 buyers are going feel pretty pissed if they paid £/$100 too much and can't return it next month. The fallout from Lego's biggest "attack" will be interesting. At least the weak resellers and some QFLLs will go away. I think panic selling could affect other sets too, my guess is old modulars.

9 hours ago, BorderTerrier said:

At least the weak resellers and some QFLLs will go away. I think panic selling could affect other sets too, my guess is old modulars.

This will undoubtedly scare away some recent investors, especially those who went in blindly and followed the herd thinking the Saturn V was a no brainer set to hoard in big numbers. Following the herd is rarely a good tactic, but because it doesn't require thinking for yourself it's the easy path to follow for the mindless lemmings amongst us.

Regarding the UCS Tumbler set ... When that one retired, everyone and their dog bought in on it, and it was considered a mega turd and laughing stock here at Brickpicker. It's still redeemed itself over time, especially after the UCS 1989 Batmobile set came out last year which also sparked renewed interest in the UCS Tumbler. It's also a set which we can be pretty sure about will not be remade by LEGO.  (disclaimer: we can never be absolutely 100% certain about that ;))

7 minutes ago, HandyHand said:

This will undoubtedly scare away some recent investors, especially those who went in blindly and followed the herd thinking the Saturn V was a no brainer set to hoard in big numbers. Following the herd is rarely a good tactic, but because it doesn't require thinking for yourself it's the easy path to follow for the mindless lemmings amongst us.

Regarding the UCS Tumbler set ... When that one retired, everyone and their dog bought in on it, and it was considered a mega turd and laughing stock here at Brickpicker. It's still redeemed itself over time, especially after the UCS 1989 Batmobile set came out last year which also sparked renewed interest in the UCS Tumbler. It's also a set which we can be pretty sure about will not be remade by LEGO.  (disclaimer: we can never be absolutely 100% certain about that ;))

what i don't get is why do people still have them anyway, how much profit on a set is enough nowadays? you could pick these up for £75 for weeks & after retirement clipped £220 often in the uk for months. keep a couple in the loft and get rid.

I don't have a whole lot of them and it's still possible to get a 30% profit on this at this point in time, I've reduced prices to move them a little quicker. There is information asymmetry not everyone will bother to research and find the cheapest possible source. There are still plenty of people buying at retail stores at full rrp even though one can possibly get sets 40-50% off if you look hard enough.

8 hours ago, coelian said:

I don't have a whole lot of them and it's still possible to get a 30% profit on this at this point in time, I've reduced prices to move them a little quicker. There is information asymmetry not everyone will bother to research and find the cheapest possible source. There are still plenty of people buying at retail stores at full rrp even though one can possibly get sets 40-50% off if you look hard enough.

Mine are going at RRP, I still make £25 on each and get a free 21312 Women of NASA from each one. This "resurrection" could've hurt, but it's not too bad after all. Will I buy 92176? Yes, if the discount is >25% as I doubt it'll return a third time. If it does, it'll be hilarious!

10 hours ago, coelian said:

That is kinda the business model for most here.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V