Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

On 9/18/2020 at 11:26 AM, HandyHand said:

I remember Tabbyboy stating he had gone REALLY deep on Saturn V. Like a warehouse packed full of them. But after that he's gone quiet in here. Or at least on that account.

I think Tabby might have resurfaced on another site and is busy ruffling feathers with his insider info.

On 9/18/2020 at 2:26 AM, spener90 said:

It really makes sense for rereleases. Especially as Lego improves the manufacturing process over time. I wonder if the Snowspeeder being released to VIP's again in Europe (I think this happened over the summer?) should have been another indicator? We could be seeing the beginning of certain Lego sets just essentially never retiring (might see this with Hogwarts and the Disney Castle?), as they could just reprint them at any given moment.

But the snowspeeders where no production of this year...they where old. We checked in a group where several peolpe ordered it

Interested to hear opinions:

I have about 50 of these and not interested in holding another 2 years till they re-retire.

Im considering unloading now at a slight premium (say 190).

BUT, I'm concerned that Ill just get a ton of returns later when Lego reissues them. And presto, my account is suspended.

I sell on Amazon, and maybe buyers will just claim A-Z to get free returns.

Any thoughts?

Edited by Bricklectic

22 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Interested to hear opinions:

I have about 50 of these and not interested in holding another 2 years till they re-retire.

Im considering unloading now at a slight premium (say 190).

BUT, I'm concerned that Ill just get a ton of returns later when Lego reissues them. And presto, my account is suspended.

I sell on Amazon, and maybe buyers will just claim A-Z to get free returns.

Any thoughts?

Sell local for cash. FB, CL, Letgo ect...  They will move if you price them low enough.

You may get a couple returns on amazon, probably not a ton though. I had sold a bunch of women of nasa at the peak. When it came back I had one return. Most people don't go back checking prices on past purchases. 

Better start fast whatever you do. 

Edited by marcandre

46 minutes ago, marcandre said:

Sell local for cash. FB, CL, Letgo ect...  They will move if you price them low enough.

You may get a couple returns on amazon, probably not a ton though. I had sold a bunch of women of nasa at the peak. When it came back I had one return. Most people don't go back checking prices on past purchases. 

I've tried CL in the past. Zero sales for me, and Im in the NYC market. Not even lowball offers. Haven't tried FB or Letgo.

Thanks for the reassurance. I guess Ill unload some on Amazon. Hopefully people will use them now and not hold till the  holidays

2 hours ago, marcandre said:

IN SF Bay Area...I saw on CL for NISB for $100; still not sold after a full day....heck I was tempted since I don't have a new one...but thought about what it will take to resell and honestly...not worth it.

Does anybody know if 92176 has stickers (I hope so), has 1969 pieces (I hope not) and the same RRP (I hope not)?

I only ask so that something can be salvaged from those that have over indulged in 21309 and I see that the panic selling has all started on eBay, with the RRP fast approaching - thanks. In an ideal World, 92176 has stickers, not 1969 pieces and a much higher RRP - wouldn't that be nice?

BTW..... I've heard good things about this site, so please be nice ;-)

On 9/19/2020 at 12:46 PM, jaylay said:

immature sell off by the inexperienced ... thats all

I can't agree more, you just have to ride out the storm. I just hope that 92176 is a disappointment (eg. stickers, not 1969 pieces, higher RRP) and 21309 is saved. Worst case is just to keep 21309 for another 3 years and get the prices you would've had a month ago and then some. What's the point of dumping now at break-even or less?

If (a big IF) 92176 isn't as good, the weak 21309 sellers have unloaded and this superior set could reach new heights. My gut says it has to be different otherwise they'd just have use the same set number, parts and box to save cost, esp. during COVID-19.

58 minutes ago, BorderTerrier said:

I can't agree more, you just have to ride out the storm. I just hope that 92176 is a disappointment (eg. stickers, not 1969 pieces, higher RRP) and 21309 is saved. Worst case is just to keep 21309 for another 3 years and get the prices you would've had a month ago and then some. What's the point of dumping now at break-even or less?

If (a big IF) 92176 isn't as good, the weak 21309 sellers have unloaded and this superior set could reach new heights. My gut says it has to be different otherwise they'd just have use the same set number, parts and box to save cost, esp. during COVID-19.

I am sorry, this is just a dream. Why put there stickers, when TLG has the printed form from previous version? Why to make it smaller? The easiest way for TLG is just make the same version, with other box design. The only chance is that it will have bigger RRP (it can be a reason to TLG to go to remake, as happen with the Death star). But again, it is no reason to hold the old 21309 - I would rather sell all stock for the acqusition price (EUR 90) then waiting another 2-3 years with frozen money and stock blocking my valued space. If I get EUR 90 now, I can work with them, buy other sets, make some profits, and then after 2-3 years buy the new version of Saturn for discounted price (for example decreased from new RRP EUR 130 to EUR 95).

• Haha 1

A lot could be done with that money over 2-3 years. Reinvest once it's close to going again. Money can still be made on it now too. I would not sit on a pile for 2 years, that's dead money. 

A decent comparison is the 2010 Shuttle. The 10231 Shuttle was improved over the 10213 but it didn't change the aftermarket price much. Boxes were the same outside of the different number and the adventurer/expedition name. I don't think they will change the box on the Apollo. 

Were there any flaws in the apollo that needed addressing? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, fantomas007 said:

I am sorry, this is just a dream. Why put there stickers, when TLG has the printed form from previous version? Why to make it smaller? The easiest way for TLG is just make the same version, with other box design. The only chance is that it will have bigger RRP (it can be a reason to TLG to go to remake, as happen with the Death star). But again, it is no reason to hold the old 21309 - I would rather sell all stock for the acqusition price (EUR 90) then waiting another 2-3 years with frozen money and stock blocking my valued space. If I get EUR 90 now, I can work with them, buy other sets, make some profits, and then after 2-3 years buy the new version of Saturn for discounted price (for example decreased from new RRP EUR 130 to EUR 95).

I did sell some of mine couple of weeks before Lego dropped the bomb, and cleared £200 after fees which was just over 2x buy-in and I still have the free 21312 Women of NASA that they were bundled with, which is an excellent result. The remainders owe me nothing and I'll just hang on to those a little longer until I see what 92176 is really like as it's still speculation and I'd like to see one first. The big question I have is how long will 92176 be available for? Will it be a very short 1 year run or become a stalwart like the 10220 VW T1? As Ed Mack once said, "If it sells, it stays."

Either way, I think we have some exciting and interesting times ahead.

9 minutes ago, marcandre said:

A lot could be done with that money over 2-3 years. Reinvest once it's close to going again. Money can still be made on it now too. I would not sit on a pile for 2 years, that's dead money. 

A decent comparison is the 2010 Shuttle. The 10231 Shuttle was improved over the 10213 but it didn't change the aftermarket price much. Boxes were the same outside of the different number and the adventurer/expedition name. I don't think they will change the box on the Apollo. 

Were there any flaws in the apollo that needed addressing? 

Not really, but I would like to have seen the launch tower included in the new one to justify a much higher RRP.

"The two sets are being re-launched due to popular demand, and as they had already left the market, we could not keep the original numbers. "

"Also: one of the new set numbers matches a fan designer's birthday."

Seems only reason for not keeping same set # was due to protocol regarding retired #'s and the creator's birthday.

As mentioned above, why would Lego change sets with no flaws that were popular? The molds and instructions are ready to go, it wouldnt make sense to randomly change a few small things and create extra work for themselves. And we know they are tightfisted by the amount of stickers they include as opposed to the extra cost of printing.

It's still selling on Amazon for 200. Depending on your buy in, you can still make upwards of 50$ profit. Seems insane to hold onto it for another 3 years potentially. You can always rebuy fresher ones later to resell.  

To me the main concern is ppl that pay 200+ some buying for holiday gifts. and see it reissued at 120 potentially. Seems like its just inviting returns..

2 hours ago, jaylay said:

ive only got about 15 in cold storage ... aint selling for cheap ... ive got the room to hold for another 10 years if be it ... 

I don't get it..isn't the goal of reselling to make $?

If you can sell for a bit over buy-in (and I remember Amazon at $85) why wouldn't you?...you should be able to flip for ~$100 and then re-invest the $1500 into Diners (or whatever) and have gotten maybe 50% growth with that money well before the re-released Saturn goes EOL.  Holding on to it seem just stubborn to me. 

• Like 1

the price for this set is crumbling as FBA'ers struggle to figure out how they can exit this position without losing while the FBM sellers come out in droves sending the seller count back above 100.  this set was one of my largest holdings i started out with 30something - i started selling them when they hit $245 fbm rode the price up to 250-260-270.   i was selling them for $280 2 weeks ago.  i sold my last 2 this morning for $189 and the price is already down to 186.  smh.  lego is going to release identical set, probably same box art with creator and a new number.  if the set remains popular it could enjoy a tower bridge or T1 type of run.  good luck to those holding on.  hopefully the market is still saturated and demand is weak and portend a short production life with this set but it is an awesome set and was grossly underpriced at $119 msrp.  the next time a $100+ set stays in the top 100 sellers on amazon for its entire life, i'm stfa.

I've made a decision and are listing some of my 21309 this weekend while the £1 FVF is on as I'd not make a penny otherwise. I can only assume that 92176 will be available for much longer than 21309, so I doubt that I'll be replacing mine any time soon. Perhaps there could be quick flip opportunities before Xmas if in short supply like the 10277 Crocodile Locomotive was?

I still think that Saturn V will do as well soon after it's second retirement, but when will that be and could it return a third time?

Oh... Do we have a classified section on here as there's loads of sets that I may want to offload to UK members only without lining eBay's pockets? I'm based in West Berkshire, near M4 J12.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, BorderTerrier said:

I've made a decision and are listing some of my 21309 this weekend while the £1 FVF is on as I'd not make a penny otherwise. I can only assume that 92176 will be available for much longer than 21309, so I doubt that I'll be replacing mine any time soon. Perhaps there could be quick flip opportunities before Xmas if in short supply like the 10277 Crocodile Locomotive was?

I still think that Saturn V will do as well soon after it's second retirement, but when will that be and could it return a third time?

Oh... Do we have a classified section on here as there's loads of sets that I may want to offload to UK members only without lining eBay's pockets? I'm based in West Berkshire, near M4 J12.

Thanks!

Can't take any Saturn V's, but I'm intrigued. Do cats have 9 lives and then become a terrier? 😉

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

I feel sorry for the cat. I'm not kidding!

It abandonded the biz 74 times, told everyone it was all over, offloaded so many sets that wouldn't retire, only to come back & go all in on a set that gets a remake now. Ouch. I'm certainly not happy about the reissue either, but I can imagine he's more furious right now than ever.

If something happens to Christiansen, we know the cat striked. Meow.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

What on Earth are you lot on about? I only bought 16 Saturn Vs when I first started a couple of years back. All were in cartons from John Lewis with a good discount and bundled with 21312 NASA Women. 6 had seen better days, and I'd like to offload them as soon as possible and keep the rest. I have about 100 other sets which is a lot to me, but probably nothing to you lot. I bought most in haste as I was naive (even stupid) and not aware of forums like this or had guidance from experts. I was hoping to start over to take advantage of the likely Black Friday sales, which is why I decided to join you guys.

LOL - what's this cat stuff anyway, is it a personal joke among yourselves? Anyhow, I'm a dog person, I'm allergic to cats and not too keen on them anyway.

I'm confused. Is this the place where I'm going to get useful information and guidance or not?

Cheers..... Stuart

6 minutes ago, BorderTerrier said:

LOL - what's this cat stuff anyway, is it a personal joke among yourselves?

If I'm not mistaken it's reference to an old member Tabby Boy. They quit (supposedly)just after I was a regular but apparently they had some personality. I could be wrong.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V