Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

1 minute ago, KShine said:

Eventually all LEGO sets end up with the end user.

More resellers (stockpiling sets) = more LEGO sales now, less resellers = more LEGO sales later (without the reseller competing to take away sales from LEGO).

So basically Lego doesn't need resellers and can and will get rid of them? 

Things did already change after the DS retire/re-release. It put a cap on sets (no more $80 sets going to $1000), and prices/demand did go down for a while (as people feared holding too long). You just can't hold sets forever anymore.

I still ended up selling my DS's during the corona madness at a decent profit. The DS was extra painful as so many had invested so much, and had held on so long waiting for retirement - so that was a real kick in the gut.

6 minutes ago, raulaco said:

So basically Lego doesn't need resellers and can and will get rid of them? 

No, but they should realize the advantage that they have in being viewed as a premium collectible which increases in value. They don't always seem to embrace the value of that fact.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Sozial said:

You are right. 👨‍🎓

I'm not with those that have beef with LEGO over reissuing.

If on the decision making board, first thing I'd do is look to see the most popular selling sets of last 20 years and re-issue the top 100 on a rotational basis. From a business perspective it absolutely makes perfect sense. It's almost nonsenical not to reissue winners.

From a personal perspective though, It is painful as I have many Saturns but all this does is turn LEGO from an investment to a memory of my youth. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Bricklectic said:

I'm not with those that have beef with LEGO over reissuing.

If on the decision making board, first thing I'd do is look to see the most popular selling sets of last 20 years and re-issue the top 100 on a rotational basis. From a business perspective it absolutely makes perfect sense. It's almost nonsenical not to reissue winners.

From a personal perspective though, It is painful as I have many Saturns but all this does is turn LEGO from an investment to a memory of my youth. 

absolutely agreed. but why the ship then?

2 minutes ago, benjamin4172 said:

absolutely agreed. but why the ship then?

Good point.

It may relate to the fact that these were 2 very popular sets that just retired. It's possible that it's easier to re-produce sets that they were all tooled up to make as recently as a few months ago.

Alternatively, it may be specific to the ideas theme and the related payment structure.

All speculation. Impoosible to know for sure.

1 minute ago, Bricklectic said:

Good point.

It may relate to the fact that these were 2 very popular sets that just retired. It's possible that it's easier to re-produce sets that they were all tooled up to make as recently as a few months ago.

Alternatively, it may be specific to the ideas theme and the related payment structure.

All speculation. Impoosible to know for sure.

If it was just the Saturn that was being re released then I wouldn't be so bothered but the ship just concerns me. Was it really a great seller towards the end of life, Lego had both these sets reduced 30 percent off not long ago. Maybe there just testing the waters of a new strategy with regards to re releasing to see how they sell at Christmas.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, raulaco said:

If it was just the Saturn that was being re released then I wouldn't be so bothered but the ship just concerns me. Was it really a great seller towards the end of life, Lego had both these sets reduced 30 percent off not long ago. Maybe there just testing the waters of a new strategy with regards to re releasing to see how they sell at Christmas.  

And this in my opinion will kill the whole Brand. Than its nothing more like other Brands that release whenever and whatever they want.

1 minute ago, benjamin4172 said:

And this in my opinion will kill the whole Brand. Than its nothing more like other Brands that release whenever and whatever they want.

I really don't think it's fair plastering retiring soon on sets and get them while you still can only to bring them back a short while later. It's almost like inviting resellers in to only kick then in the nads months later. 

2 minutes ago, raulaco said:

For you 15 percent :)

You the real MVP.  I ended up getting my Osprey at $500 from Vietnam.  She arrived inspected and ever so slightly squished. But still below going value!  But that's for another thread!

I got the Saturn on release date from Barnes & Noble.  Wall-e on the other hand I might actually rebuy again If they re-release it.

Could this just be a COVID related re-issue. Limited capacity to make new sets due to COVID so easier to do some re-releases instead of whole new issues? I would guess not as I would assume a set being released in Fall would have been well into production before COVID hit. But I don't know. Just speculation.

1 minute ago, Gonkalin said:

Could this just be a COVID related re-issue. Limited capacity to make new sets due to COVID so easier to do some re-releases instead of whole new issues? I would guess not as I would assume a set being released in Fall would have been well into production before COVID hit. But I don't know. Just speculation.

But they released so many 'Sets this year..they could instantly stop right now..and there would be enough new stuff

4 minutes ago, Klownicle said:

You the real MVP.  I ended up getting my Osprey at $500 from Vietnam.  She arrived inspected and ever so slightly squished. But still below going value!  But that's for another thread!

I got the Saturn on release date from Barnes & Noble.  Wall-e on the other hand I might actually rebuy again If they re-release it.

Dude I would of sold you mine for less than that, I only got 3 but would of let one go for less. Still waiting to see what Christmas brings, lockdown happens I see them going up. 

I know it's on the wrong thread but have you built it yet? It looks like an awesome model

Edited by raulaco

Can we have more people comment on here how they are done with reselling LEGO because of this? Lol! Folks, move your crap when it's time and don't sit on 100 sets just for the sake of drooling all over them. Ya'll better dump all of your T1 Campers before the come back before Q4 2021.  How long were you going to wait to dump all of your Saturn V's, till they got to $400?

Screenshot_20200917-173740_Chrome.jpg

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, LegoSteve said:

Can we have more people comment on here how they are done with reselling LEGO because of this? Lol! Folks, move your crap when it's time and don't sit on 100 sets just for the sake of drooling all over them. Ya'll better dump all of your T1 Campers before the come back before Q4 2021.  How long were you going to wait to dump all of your Saturn V's, till they got to $400?

Screenshot_20200917-173740_Chrome.jpg

No but at least till next christmas 😉

• Like 1

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V