Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

The keys will be how long Apollo stay in production for and what prices it will be offered in non Lego stores. More than an Ecto life and stuff like Tesco 3 for 2 will not be helpful.

A Wall-E  or Birds type life with plenty of Toos periods will do just fine.

Don't discount the actual set....it is truly one of the greats. You know those past LEGO sets that people fondly look back on and smile. This is going to be one of them. And while i dont think it will reach the moon (heh he) it will do just fine post EOL. Only thing supply and time will do is affect how long it takes to get there

9 hours ago, vincevaughn said:

Don't discount the actual set....it is truly one of the greats. You know those past LEGO sets that people fondly look back on and smile. This is going to be one of them. And while i dont think it will reach the moon (heh he) it will do just fine post EOL. Only thing supply and time will do is affect how long it takes to get there

The quality of a set does not always have a bearing on its post EOL price - Ekimu or Delorean are hardly prize winning designs yet they have performed well due to the right mix of supply and demand.

Other sets like ToO or Unimog have more detail and better builds but they were investment failures, maybe because too many people expected  too much from them vs real demand for minority theme. I´d put ToA in that category too.

NASA, space, lots of white bricks and IDEAS seems to be a recipe for cross-over success and current demand shows that but if it sticks around too long and is available everywhere then expect very moderate returns.

17 hours ago, exciter1 said:

Except for The Maze

?

I thought Maze was a poor seller.  Low demand didn't necessitate further supply.  If true, Maze was limited by demand, and not by intention.

The Excel sheet on 2016 EOL performance suggests it had a peak price a few months ago when we were cleaning B&N out of their remaining stock, so it is struggling to reach 1.5x RRP.

?
I thought Maze was a poor seller.  Low demand didn't necessitate further supply.  If true, Maze was limited by demand, and not by intention.
The Excel sheet on 2016 EOL performance suggests it had a peak price a few months ago when we were cleaning B&N out of their remaining stock, so it is struggling to reach 1.5x RRP.

Just a simple example for the mention that IDEAS sets are no longer limited.
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, phey_05 said:

Anyone wants to get hold of this set? I can probably help a couple, i just called my local shop and they have it on stock.

Thanks for the offer, but I'll just wait till it's restocked at LEGO Shop at Home so I can make use of a nice promo set or double VIP on the purchase. :)  I'm not dying to get this set so patience gives me better rewards on it.

1 minute ago, Haay said:

Thanks for the offer, but I'll just wait till it's restocked at LEGO Shop at Home so I can make use of a nice promo set or double VIP on the purchase. :)  I'm not dying to get this set so patience gives me better rewards on it.

? patience is rewarding! I did the same.

I saw one in store today for $129.  I don't have any coupons or discounted gift cards to use so I passed.  Sold my last few FBA a couple weeks ago.  I'm done flipping for now and will get one for my personal collection when I can get a nice 20% discount on it.

I don't have any individual shipping boxes that will fit this one.  It was a real pain when I sold my first few FBM.

Edited by zskid00

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V