Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

Just my 2 cent guess...but right around when Lego shop at home had the 2nd batch of back orders a few weeks ago..it was probably the second run of these. They probably produced a set number for the retailers as well and I'm guessing they are receiving that second batch.

Guest TabbyBoy
2 hours ago, legolegolego2014 said:

Any thoughts as to why this is popping up on retail websites but still TOOS at SAH?

EOL? LOL

13 hours ago, legolegolego2014 said:

Any thoughts as to why this is popping up on retail websites but still TOOS at SAH?

As TLG is producing new batches of 21309 a certain percentage of that production goes to 3rd party retail stores. Retail websites only sell sets when they receive boxes from TLG so they show up on their respective websites when they receive stock. TLG is still fulfilling backorders from LEGO Shop at Home orders during the initial release run, so they keep it TOOS on LEGO Shop at Home until all those backorders are fulfilled first. 

Guest TabbyBoy

It seems like LEGO may have learned their lesson with over-production as in the case of Super Heroes and Star Wars sets. If I was them, I'd just run the line again for every 10,000 backorders. Retailers like Tesco and John Lewis have stock alerts so that a prospective customer gets an email as soon as an item is back in stock. I have a friend at John Lewis who tells me that this determines how much they order as nobody likes to over-stock these days. Apparently JL only ordered 862x the last time and they were gone within a couple of hours with over 3,000 attempted orders! I can't really comment on this set as I haven't got one yet! ;-(

Of course, they'll be stacked up high everywhere and heavily discounted before you know it. The only time to make money on these is now as they'll be as common as muck soon enough. Unless... LEGO have under-estimated demand and EOL it now?

Edited by TabbyBoy

9 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

It seems like LEGO may have learned their lesson with over-production as in the case of Super Heroes and Star Wars sets. If I was them, I'd just run the line again for every 10,000 backorders. Retailers like Tesco and John Lewis have stock alerts so that a prospective customer gets an email as soon as an item is back in stock. I have a friend at John Lewis who tells me that this determines how much they order as nobody likes to over-stock these days. Apparently JL only ordered 862x the last time and they were gone within a couple of hours with over 3,000 attempted orders! I can't really comment on this set as I haven't got one yet! ;-(

Of course, they'll be stacked up high everywhere and heavily discounted before you know it. The only time to make money on these is now as they'll be as common as muck soon enough. Unless... LEGO have under-estimated demand and EOL it now?

It is ubelievable how sought they are. I had the possibility to buy 4 pieces in LEGOLAND Germany last Saturday, I sold the last one yesterday - 40% over MSRP...

18 minutes ago, mauro23 said:

It is ubelievable how sought they are. I had the possibility to buy 4 pieces in LEGOLAND Germany last Saturday, I sold the last one yesterday - 40% over MSRP...

It's funny how this differs between countries. In The Netherlands on Marktplaats a few sellers are still offering this set MISB below (Dutch) RRP (which is €129,99). Granted, when they put them up for Bidding the bids are creeping up to €135-€140. But nowhere near as high as in other countries!

1 minute ago, Haay said:

It's funny how this differs between countries. In The Netherlands on Marktplaats a few sellers are still offering this set MISB below (Dutch) RRP (which is €129,99). Granted, when they put them up for Bidding the bids are creeping up to €135-€140. But nowhere near as high as in other countries!

And why one of the buyers came from Netherlands...?

Edited by mauro23

Guest TabbyBoy

Yay! My 21309 has just been delivered from John Lewis, just as well I'm going to built it. It was delivered in a bin liner with just a thin layer of cardboard around it. There's dents on every corner, a hole in the middle and a popped seal (code: 12S7). I called John Lewis and they're sending me a £15 goodwill voucher. Even though I'm going to built it, retailers need to be made aware that shoddy storage and shipping of any item is just not on, whether it's LEGO or not. 

Thank God I don't buy to invest anymore as the quality of boxes these days will just drive me to tears.

Guest TabbyBoy
Just now, DarthBall said:

Good, I ordered two from TRU in Switzerland. I'm hoping they ship using the original box from Lego.

TRU? Hmmm.... good luck!

So, there´s a whole drama on Hothbricks about how someone got a reply from EU SAH in French saying this would not be back in stock till 11th August.

That should make a few resellers slightly wealthier/happier than before!

Edited by Val-E

On 6/24/2017 at 5:37 PM, Mhd747 said:

Why is everyone talking about seal codes already? This set isn't a limited edition / numbered edition set etc, it'll be out just like other idea sets for at least one year.

Especially if it continues to sell well.  If a set sells...it stays.

13 minutes ago, pstebbing said:

Still showing out of stock online and no local stock.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V