Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

46 minutes ago, yang said:

I hope that's the case. Being a collector and a part time reseller is one thing, being a full time scalper is another. I selfishly hope scalpers fail miserably.

It took me a few weeks to get one, so I understand your pain.  But to be honest, I wasn't sitting there at midnight waiting for it to pop on the LEGO S@H site.  I knew more would come and from other sources.  The hardcore resellers, or "scalpers" as you call them, take a risk by buying these sets in bulk.   There have been limited chances as of late to make money from retiring or out of stock popular sets, so when a special set like this is in limited supply, there will be plenty of people looking to take advantage.  

35 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

It took me a few weeks to get one, so I understand your pain.  But to be honest, I wasn't sitting there at midnight waiting for it to pop on the LEGO LEGO Shop at Home site.  I knew more would come and from other sources.  The hardcore resellers, or "scalpers" as you call them, take a risk by buying these sets in bulk.   There have been limited chances as of late to make money from retiring or out of stock popular sets, so when a special set like this is in limited supply, there will be plenty of people looking to take advantage.  

I agree. I wouldn't sit in front of a computer for hours just to get one Lego set either.

I was a little harsh earlier. I don't think it's an easy job to be a scalper considering the time and energy they have to spend and the risk of not selling. I guess we can blame the bad economy: just too many people don't have well paid real jobs...

Edited by yang

2 minutes ago, yang said:

I agree. I wouldn't sit in front of a computer for hours just to get one Lego set either.

I was a little harsh earlier. I don't think it's an easy job to be a scalper considering the time and energy they have to spend and the risk of not selling. I guess we can blame the bad economy: just too many people don't have well paid real jobs...

Time to form a LEGO reseller union.

Guest TabbyBoy
17 minutes ago, ravenb99 said:

what about well paid fake jobs???

Of course, examples being:

Project Managers & Business Development Managers. I mean the sayers not the doers ;-)

People who bought large quantities when the set was first released did very well. People who are still buying 50 copies of this now... You'd better like the way these boxes look stacked along your walls. The folks willing to pay 2x RRP for this set to have it immediately will, clearly, have already bought it. I'm not sure why people in the UK are even bothering. They are selling for about £150, versus a purchase price of £109.99 (say £104.50 due to VIP points). Once fees, expensive shipping by courier and time are taken into account, those profits suck. People are risking getting stuck with hundreds of pounds locked into these sets all for the sake of £10 profit.

• Like 2

Guest TabbyBoy
23 minutes ago, Captain_chaos said:

People who bought large quantities when the set was first released did very well. People who are still buying 50 copies of this now... You'd better like the way these boxes look stacked along your walls. The folks willing to pay 2x RRP for this set to have it immediately will, clearly, have already bought it. I'm not sure why people in the UK are even bothering. They are selling for about £150, versus a purchase price of £109.99 (say £104.50 due to VIP points). Once fees, expensive shipping by courier and time are taken into account, those profits suck. People are risking getting stuck with hundreds of pounds locked into these sets all for the sake of £10 profit.

I agree 100% which is why I only now buy to collect. Just 1 of these sets returned will wipe out the profits of selling 5.

Guest TabbyBoy
33 minutes ago, sasillick said:

Back in stock at John Lewis (uk)

As I stated over 3 hours ago ;-)

I'm surprised that they've not all gone yet. Perhaps it's a new, massive production run? Still seal code 21S7?

1 hour ago, Captain_chaos said:

I clearest 150 sets the first go around.  Anywhere between $200 and $339.  I'm comfortable buying some still...I'm still thinking more tumbler than exo.

7 minutes ago, LegoSteve said:

Lol.  So many haters here.  "I hope this is like The Tumbler."  Lol.  I came to this forum over three years ago to collaborate, contribute and hopefully learn how to be a better reseller.  Now I just come on here to lurk on the haters and use the Brickfolio which I am sincerely grateful. for.  I just don't understand the jealously here and make no mistake, that's all it is.  I see the same thing at my job.  I work in sales and some of us make $10k a month and others only make $2k and the ones that make $2k a month have the same attitudes that I see from a few on this forum.  If you are on a reselling forum and get pissed that you didn't get your Saturn V on June 1st then I don't feel sorry for you because you weren't trying hard enough.  There are reselling experts on here.  Reach out to them is you're struggling in one area of your reselling business model.  It wasn't too long ago that I could only afford only 33 Santas Workshops. Some may say, "ONLY 33 Santa's Workshops??" Well it took me over a year to buy all those sets and I worked very hard to get them.  As I worked hard to purchase some sets, it eventually became easier to buy others.  Now I am buying hundreds, that's right, hundreds, of one set (It's not Saturn V) that everybody has access to right now.  I fully intend to corner the market once this set retires and I don't feel bad about it at all.  It's also important to understand that intelligent resellers needs quick flippers in order to compile data on a set.  In 2018-19 folks will turn to CamelX3 to see what Saturn V was selling for on the date it was released.  If the data shows that it went for 225-$250, which it will, and you can get this set discounted at $99 then that's a good buy and you know it will definitely perform better than The Tumbler.  I know some much bigger resellers than me.  I was talking to one the other week and they told me they made close to $15k on their Saturn V rockets.  You know what I told them, "Congratulations."  I also chat with smaller resellers and I say the same thing to them.  All of us have one main thing in common, we're successful.  You are the company you keep.

Congratulations!  I am happy for you.

I do like that you post more now.  Additional insight is always beneficial.

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy

It's extremely easy to get a Saturn V in the UK at RRP as it's restocked regularly. I'm patient enough to wait for the inevitable discounts in the months ahead as I think even LEGO aren't stupid enough to make just one batch of these.

I used to be a big time reseller and even a QFLL (not on eBay/Amazon) with pallet loads at a time. In the end, it just became way too much work for meagre rewards and I now buy/sell intangible items with no storage, packing, postage or 14% selling fees required. The profit from my latest venture has paid for my 50% share in a  new business, LEGO could not have done this. However. I do have about 2000 sets left which I'll probably offload quickly as soon as I can break even on the whole lot on average. I'm talking over £100,000 worth. If you see a lot of Superstar Destroyers, Pet Shops, Whitehouses, Trevi Fountains, Doctor Whos, Mystery Machines, Ecto1 and WALL-Es sold at prices to undercut everybody else on eBay, it's probably me. Even though I no longer buy to invest, I still wish success on those that do.

2 hours ago, LegoSteve said:

Lol.  So many haters here.  "I hope this is like The Tumbler."  Lol.  I came to this forum over three years ago to collaborate, contribute and hopefully learn how to be a better reseller.  Now I just come on here to lurk on the haters and use the Brickfolio which I am sincerely grateful. for.  I just don't understand the jealously here and make no mistake, that's all it is.  I see the same thing at my job.  I work in sales and some of us make $10k a month and others only make $2k and the ones that make $2k a month have the same attitudes that I see from a few on this forum.  If you are on a reselling forum and get pissed that you didn't get your Saturn V on June 1st then I don't feel sorry for you because you weren't trying hard enough.  There are reselling experts on here.  Reach out to them is you're struggling in one area of your reselling business model.  It wasn't too long ago that I could only afford only 33 Santas Workshops. Some may say, "ONLY 33 Santa's Workshops??" Well it took me over a year to buy all those sets and I worked very hard to get them.  As I worked hard to purchase some sets, it eventually became easier to buy others.  Now I am buying hundreds, that's right, hundreds, of one set (It's not Saturn V) that everybody has access to right now.  I fully intend to corner the market once this set retires and I don't feel bad about it at all.  It's also important to understand that intelligent resellers needs quick flippers in order to compile data on a set.  In 2018-19 folks will turn to CamelX3 to see what Saturn V was selling for on the date it was released.  If the data shows that it went for 225-$250, which it will, and you can get this set discounted at $99 then that's a good buy and you know it will definitely perform better than The Tumbler.  I know some much bigger resellers than me.  I was talking to one the other week and they told me they made close to $15k on their Saturn V rockets.  You know what I told them, "Congratulations."  I also chat with smaller resellers and I say the same thing to them.  All of us have one main thing in common, we're successful.  You are the company you keep.

Congratulations!  I am happy for you.

Haters always gonna hate so just keep on flipping...  For a little extra excitement I like to wear this gem on my daily runs.

https://www.amazon.com/Mens-Team-QFLL-2XL-Silver/dp/B072WW5215/ref=redir_mobile_desktop?_encoding=UTF8&*Version*=1&*entries*=0

• Like 7

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

It's extremely easy to get a Saturn V in the UK at RRP as it's restocked regularly. I'm patient enough to wait for the inevitable discounts in the months ahead as I think even LEGO aren't stupid enough to make just one batch of these.

I used to be a big time reseller and even a QFLL (not on eBay/Amazon) with pallet loads at a time. In the end, it just became way too much work for meagre rewards and I now buy/sell intangible items with no storage, packing, postage or 14% selling fees required. The profit from my latest venture has paid for my 50% share in a  new business, LEGO could not have done this. However. I do have about 2000 sets left which I'll probably offload quickly as soon as I can break even on the whole lot on average. I'm talking over £100,000 worth. If you see a lot of Superstar Destroyers, Pet Shops, Whitehouses, Trevi Fountains, Doctor Whos, Mystery Machines, Ecto1 and WALL-Es sold at prices to undercut everybody else on eBay, it's probably me. Even though I no longer buy to invest, I still wish success on those that do.

Could you whisper to me this new venture of yours? =)

35 minutes ago, cladner said:

tabby's a bitcoin baron.

Meanwhile somewhere in Reading (Tabby's city)

the other building is the place where he is hoarding 999 Friend's party buses from Tesco from 3 for 2 promo 17GBP each.

Edited by Shewie
  • Like 2

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V