Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

Guest TabbyBoy

What do you think the odds are of this performing like the Mars Rover after EOL? I'm thinking 2.5x (£275) about 2-3yrs after. I've got the one I need to build plus the other "freebie" that I may keep for a while.

I think this set is the most significant marker regarding LEGO investment feasibility since the Fire Brigade. As long as demand exceeds supply, we should be good.

23 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

What do you think the odds are of this performing like the Mars Rover after EOL? I'm thinking 2.5x (£275) about 2-3yrs after. I've got the one I need to build plus the other "freebie" that I may keep for a while.

I think this set is the most significant marker regarding LEGO investment feasibility since the Fire Brigade. As long as demand exceeds supply, we should be good.

I think it comes down to it's retail life.  Earlier Ideas / CUUSOO has shorter retail lives with the exception of Minecraft.  

I'm not sure why you'd keep it when you could invest the money into cryptocurrency and make a bazillion more like your other well timed investments.
  • Like 1

No. Ideas sets no longer seem limited to just a few production runs and they have wider distribution.  So with an indefinite supply until demand slows, most people who know of it and want one will have their chance to get one.  Panic buyers will give it a bump post-EOL that might be longer and higher than for other Ideas sets, but in the long run I think it will be more RI than Mars Rover. How many Mars Rovers were made? How many Saturns have already been made and how many will be stocked by resellers? I think your future pool of AFOLs who remember the moon landing, or love NASA, or love Ideas who haven't already bought one will have an excess inventory to purchase from that far exceeds the amount of NISB Mars Rovers that have ever been put up for sale.  You've got the AFOLs with 80s nostalgia for Ghostbusters, Doctor Who fans, and Beatles fans to inform you of how well Saturn will do.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎7‎/‎2017 at 11:26 PM, Pseudoty said:

I was planning on posting this in what lego set did you build today thread. Make sure the middle is fully engaged before you play. 

Are you sure that's not the next Ideas Space themed set, The Challenger Space Shuttle? 

Sorry...that was bad. I'll show myself to the door.

• Like 2

No. Ideas sets no longer seem limited to just a few production runs and they have wider distribution.  So with an indefinite supply until demand slows, most people who know of it and want one will have their chance to get one.  Panic buyers will give it a bump post-EOL that might be longer and higher than for other Ideas sets, but in the long run I think it will be more RI than Mars Rover. How many Mars Rovers were made? How many Saturns have already been made and how many will be stocked by resellers? I think your future pool of AFOLs who remember the moon landing, or love NASA, or love Ideas who haven't already bought one will have an excess inventory to purchase from that far exceeds the amount of NISB Mars Rovers that have ever been put up for sale.  You've got the AFOLs with 80s nostalgia for Ghostbusters, Doctor Who fans, and Beatles fans to inform you of how well Saturn will do.

Except for The Maze

1 hour ago, terrymc4677 said:

Are you sure that's not the next Ideas Space themed set, The Challenger Space Shuttle? 

Sorry...that was bad. I'll show myself to the door.

Could be a North Korean missle test at its launch pad.

Best ask Shewie to be sure :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

Mars Rover was truly "limited."  I don't see any indication this set will be.  On a positive note, these Ideas sets usually have shorter production runs.  This set is just damn cool and affordable.  Every geek wants one for their office.  It will be successful regardless of the hoarding and production run in my opinion.  

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
3 hours ago, Pebble&Park said:

I'm not sure why you'd keep it when you could invest the money into cryptocurrency and make a bazillion more like your other well timed investments.

Cryptocurrency is going through a rocky patch right now so, I cashed  in a bunch a few days ago - glad I did as that part my portfolio would've dropped another 10% and still dropping - I think another 20% drop over the next week or so. A bit like recent EOL UCS sets? ;-)

I've actually changed my £ into € to ride the storm for a while.

You need to diversify, LEGO isn't the gravy train it once was ;-)

7 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Cross-over set for people that don´t necessarily like Lego - same as T1.

The Falcon had that for a while too with the release of TFA. Can be good to create scarcity for flipping, not sure if it's a positive thing in the long run.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V