Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

Also, there are 170 US eBay listings, 100 listed on BL, and 21 sellers on US Amazon.

The idea that anyone has cornered the market is kind of ridiculous.

If you want to blame anyone for 3rd party prices, blame TLG for radically underestimating demand.

5 minutes ago, Val-E said:

Wall-E and Mystery Machine are 2.

Wall-E came out already in 2015 and it was never heavily discounted in Germany.

Mystery Machine on the other side yes, that's true. 

But the amount of such sets which fulfil the good profit sets' requirements steadily decrease...

Edited by mauro23

The point is that it´s too early to bury Apollo. People are making money from it now, which is more than can be said of many already retired sets. I´d definitely get some at 33% off or more but not at full price as I don´t like quick flipping based on TLG distribution problems.

Disney Castle, Porsche 911 and now this are 3 sets that will have made many people good money doing that so all power to them.

This is the biggest problem I have with resellers.  Not all of you, but the ones that go out and buy hundreds at a time.  I honestly don't have a problem with you guys making money, but on a set like this that I know will be chronically sold out/backordered probably for the entirety of it's shelf life, this is pretty ridiculous.
I'm glad I was able to get a hold of mine as soon as it went live because I knew this was going to be a nightmare if I was forced to wait.  But it seems that a huge swath of customers will be left out because they don't keep an eye on stock levels every second of the day and some will inevitably be stuck.
And seeing a picture of 20+ sets being horded like that is stupid.
To tell you all the truth, I hope this is Exo Suit all over again for you guys.

I completely understand the frustration, but what I don't understand is what you want to the solution to be. Do you want buyers to show more restraint? That simply will not happen.

Have you ever heard of Mondo? They are a poster distribution company that contract out artists for LE pop culture prints. They throw the posters up at a random time and the things sell out instantly, literally 2 minutes top. Then the next few days people scream at Mondo via twitter and hate mail about how their system sucks and bots have hacked it, etc. I AM one of those people screaming right there with them! It drives me up the wall as an illustrator / designer when I just want ONE poster for my collection, but instead have to resort to eBay and pay 4x as much while John Doe set up his bot and successfully has 6+ copies to flip.

My point is, the only frustration should lie with the retailer and the limits/restrictions they do or do not place. Resellers are not going to change, plain and simple. It has become such a competitive market in general, i.e. Buyer A buys 25 and then Buyer B sees that and has to buy 30 immediately. People feed off the competition and easily sip the koolaid once someone starts the hype. Then of course you have Buyer C who tries to convince the world it's a silly investment but secretly buys 35.

Overall I am aligning with the frustration, but it's hopeless to blame the resellers. It's just human nature and they will continue.
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, LegoBro said:

So based off how this one went to OOS on the first production run...is that a possible prediction for the second run? Any past examples similar to this that anyone can lend their opinion/perspective/prediction?

I think Research Institute is the closest example. Went OOS immediately, prices went up to the $100 range IIRC, there was a bit of a gap, then they produced a few more waves before it finally retired. Any people talk poorly about the Exo Suit now, but I remember at the time the initial run went OOS pretty quickly - then wave after wave appeared. So I wouldn't compare it in popularity of course, but I wouldn't assume any sort of fixed production run.

The exception to that, as mentioned already, is the Mars Rover, in case there's some reason they keep these runs short due to NASA license reasons.

I only have one of these, I'm keeping it for now.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, scatttcat said:

I know it's wiped, but does the Saturn have a Walmart SKU or Target DPCI?

Or is everyone just swinging by the stores and hoping to get lucky?

Also limit at lego store?

the two lego stores here in san diego have enforced a limit of one per purchase.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, citymorgue said:

This is the biggest problem I have with resellers.  Not all of you, but the ones that go out and buy hundreds at a time.  I honestly don't have a problem with you guys making money, but on a set like this that I know will be chronically sold out/backordered probably for the entirety of it's shelf life, this is pretty ridiculous.

I'm glad I was able to get a hold of mine as soon as it went live because I knew this was going to be a nightmare if I was forced to wait.  But it seems that a huge swath of customers will be left out because they don't keep an eye on stock levels every second of the day and some will inevitably be stuck.

And seeing a picture of 20+ sets being horded like that is stupid.

To tell you all the truth, I hope this is Exo Suit all over again for you guys.

Geez, not again. 100 at a time?..its a limit of one. listen, when i need extra sets i get my ass up and drove to SoCal for weekend and get some more sets...its hard work buddy.

• Like 2

I don't think they have any other setting besides 30 days...... And from a retailer's perspective, it's better to set an expectation that's easy to meet (30 days) and then blow it out of the water with a 3 or 4 day turnaround. They probably had a PO incoming to their warehouse but didn't know the exact arrival date, so just slapped the Backordered 30 Days tag online to cover their asses. 

I had the same thing happen with the Yellow Sub + Mini Milano I ordered for a friend. Backordered 30 days, shipped in 3. 

Edit.... great, and I just replied to the end of page 15 or something. Whoops. 

Edited by Zelgazra

What is up with all the reseller hate on here I expect it on the Amazon reviews but if we can't talk about that what is left Bitcoin? I thought this was a lego investment website. This set will be produced until the end of 2018 but every production run will be snatched up by resellers like sharks to blood in the water. Everyone on here had a chance to get this set early and unlimited from Walmart if you missed out adapt or move on. 

IMG_4971.PNG

• Like 5

Also, there are 170 US eBay listings, 100 listed on BL, and 21 sellers on US Amazon.
The idea that anyone has cornered the market is kind of ridiculous.
If you want to blame anyone for 3rd party prices, blame TLG for radically underestimating demand.

I think there will be more of these. As long as they are selling well, they will continue to make them.

Honestly, this should be encouraging for all investors. It's nice to see a Lego set doing well. That means Lego is still wanted. We should all be happy about it whether or not we have this set. I had one and sold it the same day. No regrets- quick money.

• Like 5

So I picked one up this mornin to add to my stash for qfl and what not.  They had 20 to 24.....came back home shaved the facial hair since I've been bumming it in my basement as of late and cut the hair to beat the limit. Returned 6 hours later and managed to pick up the last one.  All gone just like that.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V