Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

Newbie brick investor here. Purchased 3 sets in hopes for long-term value but, with everything that I'm now reading, it seems that this set might not be the best candidate for that purpose (due to estimated production numbers, third-party store adoption & availability, and no licensing agreements). Agree? If so, I'll likely just keep one to build and return the other two.

2 hours ago, lifeowl said:

Newbie brick investor here. Purchased 3 sets in hopes for long-term value but, with everything that I'm now reading, it seems that this set might not be the best candidate for that purpose (due to estimated production numbers, third-party store adoption & availability, and no licensing agreements). Agree? If so, I'll likely just keep one to build and return the other two.

Flip them asap.

There will be opportunities to buy them at a lower price later on.

7 minutes ago, Vinetu said:

This thing is a masterpiece of design. I don't know if, in all the years I'm into Lego, I have seen such subtlety and mastery in an official Lego set.

Which is why people are willing to pay for them.  Even the number of pieces and cost is an amazing value.  I am not sure how Lego is making a lot of money on this one.

3 minutes ago, Legolassy said:

Which is why people are willing to pay for them.  Even the number of pieces and cost is an amazing value.  I am not sure how Lego is making a lot of money on this one.

Because sometimes you have to take a hit to get right in the eyes of the consumers every now and then.  Granted they cannot all be winners with the amount of sets they put out each year, but sometimes they get it right ;)

• Like 1

I am not a QFLL but I do watch as new sets are introduced and hit the local online classified section within hours trying to get a quick profit.  It is interesting to note that in all of Ontario there are ZERO listings so far for this set.  May be a sign that people buying it are actually interested in building it.

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Legolassy said:

The part count comes in at 6 cents per part, cheap for licensed sets but nothing exceptional compared with creative boxes or Technic sets. Maybe the NASA licensing dept. are less demanding than Disney and it´s true there are a lot of small parts used. The biggest cost for TLG is probably the packaging and manual and the time spent reingineering the original design by three guys.

Edited by Val-E

The part count comes in at 6 cents per part, cheap for licensed sets but nothing exceptional compared with creative boxes or Technic sets. Maybe the NASA licensing dept. are less demanding than Disney and it´s true there are a lot of small parts used. The biggest cost for TLG is probably the packaging and manual and the time spent reingineering the original design by three guys.

It will be interesting to know the price per gram as an alternative scale to measure and compare.
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kris_1973 said:

Good call @Val-E (as that would skew results when measuring sealed box contents).  [And I doubt there's a database containing individual part weights to query against set part list for parts-only weight per set.]

Once the set inventory is finalized on BL, you'll be able to get this straight from BrickStock. Bottom Right corner of the screen.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, legolegolego2014 said:

Temporarily out of stock on SAH. Also pulled from the main page. QFLL window is wide open for now.

Still available for backorder in the UK. Which is fortunate because I just checked out how much it would cost to ship from the US to an expat rocket scientist friend. And yeah, better off eating the exchange rate and VAT.

So, even when I ordered the Saturn V, it said it was backordered 30 days at least, I just got notification it's in the warehouse.  Extremely faster than I thought it was going to be.

I don't know if I'm some anomally, but I find it strange how when I placed the order, it was back ordered 30 days, and in fact a day later it's in the warehouse.  

So since I only order stuff like once a year online since I have a physical store near me, is this normal?  Also, I've never ordered something release day either.  So anyone else get this?

Screenshot_20170602-202519.png

Edited by citymorgue
Need some clarification

4 hours ago, citymorgue said:

So, even when I ordered the Saturn V, it said it was backordered 30 days at least, I just got notification it's in the warehouse.  Extremely faster than I thought it was going to be.

I don't know if I'm some anomally, but I find it strange how when I placed the order, it was back ordered 30 days, and in fact a day later it's in the warehouse.  

So since I only order stuff like once a year online since I have a physical store near me, is this normal?  Also, I've never ordered something release day either.  So anyone else get this?

Same here.

I ordered on May 31st, when it was already backordered for June 30th in Germany.

My package was sent yesterday and is expected to arrive today.

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V