Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V

exciter1

7 minutes ago, LegoBro said:

So based off how this one went to OOS on the first production run...is that a possible prediction for the second run? Any past examples similar to this that anyone can lend their opinion/perspective/prediction?

A few thought:

-LEGO isn't making a lot off of this set so why would they want to be cranking this out for a few years.

-I believe this will be as scarce, if not more, than Research Institute.

-There should be at least one more production run.

-If there are gluts of this set they will be scooped up quickly.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, LegoBro said:

So based off how this one went to OOS on the first production run...is that a possible prediction for the second run? Any past examples similar to this that anyone can lend their opinion/perspective/prediction?

obvious comparison is 21104 nasa mars rover cuusoo which was went OOS immediately and was chronically hard to come by in lego stores and spent most of its life OOS for ordering online .  yes there will be a second run but that's already part of someone's botz rinse and repeat plan. scarfed up.  same with a 3rd run.  the question is will they mass produce this set for years on end like ecto1 where you can buy them in store in 2019?  seems unlikely.  

Edited by cladner
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, scatttcat said:

I know it's wiped, but does the Saturn have a Walmart SKU or Target DPCI?

Or is everyone just swinging by the stores and hoping to get lucky?

Also limit at lego store?

Target: 204-00-0933

Toys R Us: 282741

Walmart: 55231379

Barnes: 673419277150 (UPC)

• Like 3

13 hours ago, cladner said:

obvious comparison is 21104 nasa mars rover cuusoo which was went OOS immediately and was chronically hard to come by in lego stores and spent most of its life OOS for ordering online .  yes there will be a second run but that's already part of someone's botz rinse and repeat plan. scarfed up.  same with a 3rd run.  the question is will they mass produce this set for years on end like ecto1 where you can buy them in store in 2019?  seems unlikely.  

This is the biggest problem I have with resellers.  Not all of you, but the ones that go out and buy hundreds at a time.  I honestly don't have a problem with you guys making money, but on a set like this that I know will be chronically sold out/backordered probably for the entirety of it's shelf life, this is pretty ridiculous.

I'm glad I was able to get a hold of mine as soon as it went live because I knew this was going to be a nightmare if I was forced to wait.  But it seems that a huge swath of customers will be left out because they don't keep an eye on stock levels every second of the day and some will inevitably be stuck.

And seeing a picture of 20+ sets being horded like that is stupid.

To tell you all the truth, I hope this is Exo Suit all over again for you guys.

• Like 1

This is the biggest problem I have with resellers.  Not all of you, but the ones that go out and buy hundreds at a time.  I honestly don't have a problem with you guys making money, but on a set like this that I know will be chronically sold out/backordered probably for the entirety of it's shelf life, this is pretty ridiculous.
I'm glad I was able to get a hold of mine as soon as it went live because I knew this was going to be a nightmare if I was forced to wait.  But it seems that a huge swath of customers will be left out because they don't keep an eye on stock levels every second of the day and some will inevitably be stuck.

Sh1tty people are everywhere but I believe the majority of people you're speaking of, rarely post on here anymore but they most definitely still read...

12 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

no way will this be the exo-suit.  the demand for this set is much stronger.  if they are still making them in 2019, the aftermarket will be flooded anyway so it won't matter.  initial stock clearing/hoarding by resellers is nothing new and majority of time the reseller gets burned by absence of expected demand or early restocking and returns.  it will be interesting to see how fast TLG can crank these out again because if they were able to do a sustained restocking early on it could burn the reseller with returns though to be honest the people who are buying these for inflated prices on amazon are 1%'ers who $100 vs $300 is an irrelevant price difference.  i wouldn't saying hoarding 20 of this set was stupid.  i would say it was brilliant move.  stupid is paying $300 for this set.  i like stupid money.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

Are you an Amazon reviewer? Don't be a hater. We applaud cornering the market here. My hat is off to anyone with stacks of these cashing in.  

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cladner said:

no way will this be the exo-suit.  the demand for this set is much stronger.  if they are still making them in 2019, the aftermarket will be flooded anyway so it won't matter.  initial stock clearing/hoarding by resellers is nothing new and majority of time the reseller gets burned by absence of expected demand or early restocking and returns.  it will be interesting to see how fast TLG can crank these out again because if they were able to do a sustained restocking early on it could burn the reseller with returns though to be honest the people who are buying these for inflated prices on amazon are 1%'ers who $100 vs $300 is an irrelevant price difference.  i wouldn't saying hoarding 20 of this set was stupid.  i would say it was brilliant move.  stupid is paying $300 for this set.  i like stupid money.

Yes, the people who spend that kind of money on a set that for the time being will still be in production are dumb.

I'm sure Lego will crank these out pretty quick, and I hope they do.  I know it's not anything new, but on a set like this where we already know there is generally only limited availability, it only makes it worse.  I've seen this kind of behavior in other sets and it's not a big deal, because there are still plenty of opportunities for regular joes to buy a set during retail life.

Yeah maybe hoarding 20 isn't bad, but there are others that have significantly more quantities of this stuff.

• Like 1

I purchased 1 for personal build from Walmart.  I must admit, this is my favorite set so far (out of Dark Ages in Spring '16).  Hopefully everyone can be happy: a.) resellers have a narrow window of opportunity to make money due to demand of people who can afford the short-term mark-up and b.) collectors/builders who cannot / choose not to spend a hugely inflated price tag for a set may hopefully soon be able to enjoy this set (21309) as much as I do.

• Like 2

59 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

You come to a site filled with resellers to complain about reselling? I love to build Lego like everyone else here but I also like lots of money. If you aren't trying to maximize profits then you're doing it wrong. 

5 minutes ago, Black_towr said:

You come to a site filled with resellers to complain about reselling? I love to build Lego like everyone else here but I also like lots of money. If you aren't trying to maximize profits then you're doing it wrong. 

There are differences in being absolutely ridiculous when it comes to reselling.  I've said many times before, people buying and holding stuff to make money is no problem.  It's the purposely cornering a market such as this that should be frowned upon.  If someone waits until after retirement and complains, well that's their own fault.  I don't complain about sets that were retired before I came out of my dark ages.  I applaud resellers who hold onto these sets.  I've done it a time or two.

And I don't actually resell.  I know, why am I here?  Because honestly out of all the communities I've visited, this is by far one of the best I've seen.  And I enjoy the community here.  Plus it's nice to know the general value of my sets.

• Like 2

I do not blame resellers for taking risks on buying multiples of this set or any set for that matter.  First, who is to blame for allowing resellers to buy multiples of this set, retailers.  A retailer can limit how many of a set can be purchased at a time whether in store or online. Second, the average person who really wanted this set should have taken the time to watch for it and buy it when it was first released like the rest of us.  No one is stopping them from buying at regular price if they take the time to stay up late online or wait in line at the store the day of release.  If they want it so badly then put in the effort to get it at regular price.  Resellers put in the effort of their personal time to get this set so should the average buyer who really wanted this set.  Third, going back to my first sentence, if a person is willing to take the risks of spending his/her own money for investment what is wrong with that? it is called capitalism and I for one think it is great. I will not fault anyone who wants to enrich his or her life.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, citymorgue said:

There are differences in being absolutely ridiculous when it comes to reselling.  I've said many times before, people buying and holding stuff to make money is no problem.  It's the purposely cornering a market such as this that should be frowned upon.  If someone waits until after retirement and complains, well that's their own fault.  I don't complain about sets that were retired before I came out of my dark ages.  I applaud resellers who hold onto these sets.  I've done it a time or two.

And I don't actually resell.  I know, why am I here?  Because honestly out of all the communities I've visited, this is by far one of the best I've seen.  And I enjoy the community here.  Plus it's nice to know the general value of my sets.

I agree with you to an extent. I do believe sometimes the Horde has a tendency to over-hoard if you will, which does both hurt those of us who want to grab a set for personal reasons and also for profit reasons.  I was fortunate to get one of these last week before they all went poof but I haven't been able to secure another one for family build time recently due to both the constant demand as well as the likelihood of re-sellers scooping them up. So to an extent, I can understand the frustration due to how the market is being cornered by people but this is capitalism after all. It is what we do and sometimes, it's basically a race to the top or a free-fall to the bottom. Inequality in terms of both demand and supply is the result. Thus, we have to adapt accordingly.

I do wish I had the capital and influx to scoop up 10+ sets and re-sell within a few weeks in order to make some extra cash.  In fact, I theoretically do but sometimes you have to pace yourself because there are more important things in life. Not to mention your SO would be freaked out to see a stack of rockets in your home one random day forcing you to put your mad LEGO building skills to the test to consolidate as much as possible into the smallest possible square footage.  But I digress.

Given the impending second production run, it will be interested to see what happens to demand in the next six months, especially leading up to the holiday season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, citymorgue said:

Unfortunately, quick flipping a set like this is becoming the main way to make solid returns in the current environment.  

• Alpinemaps changed the title to Ideas #017: 21309/92176 - NASA Apollo Saturn V