KMart/Sears - Shop Your Way Rewards and points discussion

Sears, Kmart parent company to close another 72 stores as sales crisis continues

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/05/31/sears-kmart-store-closures/658683002/

Sears Holdings plans to close another 72 money-losing stores as the department-store chain tries to stem the bleeding from its long-running sales crisis.

Sears said it would reveal the list of closures later today.

The company, whose stores include Sears and Kmart locations, has been engaging in a virtually nonstop campaign of downsizing as it seeks a turnaround that has thus far proven elusive.

The closures are believed to represent about 8% of the company's remaining stores. Sears Holdings has closed several hundred struggling locations in recent years.

Facing declining mall traffic, heightened online competition and strategic missteps, Sears sales have plummeted.

The company said it had identified about 100 nonprofitable stores overall, which included the 72 set to be shuttered in the "near future." It did not say what would happen to the 28 other nonprofitable locations.

Follow USA TODAY reporter Nathan Bomey on Twitter @NathanBomey.

Edited by Fleck

Sears, Kmart parent company to close another 72 stores as sales crisis continues

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/2018/05/31/sears-kmart-store-closures/658683002/

Sears Holdings plans to close another 72 money-losing stores as the department-store chain tries to stem the bleeding from its long-running sales crisis.

Sears said it would reveal the list of closures later today.

The company, whose stores include Sears and Kmart locations, has been engaging in a virtually nonstop campaign of downsizing as it seeks a turnaround that has thus far proven elusive.

The closures are believed to represent about 8% of the company's remaining stores. Sears Holdings has closed several hundred struggling locations in recent years.

Facing declining mall traffic, heightened online competition and strategic missteps, Sears sales have plummeted.

The company said it had identified about 100 nonprofitable stores overall, which included the 72 set to be shuttered in the "near future." It did not say what would happen to the 28 other nonprofitable locations.

Follow USA TODAY reporter Nathan Bomey on Twitter @NathanBomey.

Every time I see this, I wonder - is this the time that Kmart leaves SoCal? Guess we’ll find out later today.

36 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Every time I see this, I wonder - is this the time that Kmart leaves SoCal? Guess we’ll find out later today.

This reminds me of the empty unused building of 1 Kmart that closed 4 years ago.  It is on a pretty strategic location, not sure why nobody else is taking it over.

This reminds me of the empty unused building of 1 Kmart that closed 4 years ago.  It is on a pretty strategic location, not sure why nobody else is taking it over.

The closest Kmart to me closed in 2013? 2014? It’s been awhile. The location sat vacant but was a good location until this past summer, when Target finally occupied the space.

• 2 weeks later...

For the train builders amongst us: Sears has had the Switch pack (7895) on sale for $11.69 for quite a while. Stock is very limited but keeps on popping in and out. Price is only discounted at Sears.com though, at KMart.com the same pack is full price ($15.99). The beauty about the price is that if you buy three your total is $35.07, so you qualify for free shipping. Of course, if you have $5 on $35 FC or more that makes the deal even better. Managed to grab a few packs this morning.

For the train builders amongst us: Sears has had the Switch pack (7895) on sale for $11.69 for quite a while. Stock is very limited but keeps on popping in and out. Price is only discounted at Sears.com though, at KMart.com the same pack is full price ($15.99). The beauty about the price is that if you buy three your total is $35.07, so you qualify for free shipping. Of course, if you have $5 on $35 FC or more that makes the deal even better. Managed to grab a few packs this morning.

Amazon also has the Switch pack at the same price.

I got a package of 2T boy's underpants and then also whatever lego set I ordered shipped separately but with the same shipping ID once, that was fun. Right now Sears is calling me every morning at 8 am to tell me to reschedule a delivery that already happened. Little do they know I kind of appreciate the wake-up call.

I find that if I order the bigger or newer sets they mostly come well packaged from the warehouse in Naperville and I often get them within 36 hours via UDS delivery.

I stepped into an Exciter Twilight Zone portal. I stopped into a regional K-Mart today, that I was at last week, and at some point in the last couple of days they got a shipment of a bunch of "older" LEGO - Stuff like 60122, 60121 (Volcano sets) which were NOT on Clearance but on the shelves. However, in their already marked clearance section (which was pretty cleaned out previously) - They had gotten in a couple Prison Islands, a couple Ninjago Lighthouses, a couple 60132 Service Stations, a Fire Boat, a couple Nexo and a couple DUPLO sets. All already tagged and stickered as clearance, and these were sets that were NOT there a few days ago. They got in, and immediately went to clearance. These are sets that were cleared out of many K-Marts during their last big clearance wave in the Winter. Also, there was a spend $50 get $25 in points promo, max $75. I am not sure if you can only do it once a day (have to wait for points to actually arrive which usually happens next day) - but my 2nd checkout did NOT give me the points. Regardless, with coupons, clearance, and promos, I made out quite well for a very pleasant surprising K-Mart stop.

I am not sure if I am totally alone, and I didn't get to swing in to any other K-Marts yet, but you may want to take a peek just in case.

• Like 5