KMart/Sears - Shop Your Way Rewards and points discussion

Rounding up my sales numbers a few days early before the year closes.  This was my first full year buying from Kmart.  Half way through the year we found out we are moving, so I've spent the second half of the year paring back my inventory.  I sold off about 2/3 of my inventory over the holidays through eBay.

This was also my first foray into buying new sets.  Most of my Lego sales on eBay are used items.  I definitely had some lessons learned.

Winners:  41178 Elves Dragon Sanctuary I picked up for $2.75 

Losers:  75151 Clone Turbo Tank for $60 and 75157 Captain Rex AT-TE for $64  (luckily I just bought 1 of each, but I regret the points I used to get the price so low).  Still sitting on these.  Haven't tried to sell them.  

Note:  MSRP noted below is Lego's MSRP (not Kmart's).

SOLD INVENTORY    
eBay Gross Sales    $2,229
Assumed 82% eBay Net (Shipping, Fees, Paypal)    $1,828
Total KMT COGS    $869
MSRP of KMT COGS    $1,990
Average Discount KMT Legos    56%
Return on Investment    110%
Total Profit    $958

REMAINING UNLISTED/UNSOLD INVENTORY    
Total KMT COGS    $478
MSRP of KMT COGS    $1,297
Average Discount KMT Legos    63%

Now I just need someone to take my 2 fake Christmas trees off my hands.  Craigslist and OfferUp have been silent.  

Thanks to all the helpful people on this thread.  Hope everyone has a happy new year!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, AWES22 said:

Does Kmart usually have a post-christmas clearance on legos or is it the next round of clearance usually around febrauary? 

No, K-Mart will markdown any lingering clearance stuff to 75% off on a week or two, then you'll have to wait til the next clearance wave and the cycle will start over again. (20 to 30% off, then 40, etc etc)

1 hour ago, trstnkn said:

Losers:  75151 Clone Turbo Tank for $60 and 75157 Captain Rex AT-TE for $64  (luckily I just bought 1 of each, but I regret the points I used to get the price so low).  Still sitting on these.  Haven't tried to sell them.  

Clone Turbo Tank will do just fine. Got to have a bit more patience. I think both of these will do fine, though CTT better. But you need to wait more than a year, or in this case, 2 months.

A lot of folks have some way unrealistic flip expectations, I am not sure where those have come from. Hold times are LONGER than they used to be, not shorter.

You’re actually already ahead with 75151. Lowest price on eBay is already over $100 (including shipping). Wait to see what happens next December...

Sent from my iPhone using Brickpicker Forum mobile app

49 minutes ago, The Rookie said:

You’re actually already ahead with 75151. Lowest price on eBay is already over $100 (including shipping). Wait to see what happens next December...

Thanks @The Rookie.  A few months ago when I was deciding what to get rid of to lighten inventory it didn't look as promising.  Definitely holding.

1 hour ago, Achilles said:

A lot of folks have some way unrealistic flip expectations, I am not sure where those have come from. Hold times are LONGER than they used to be, not shorter.

Since I mainly deal in used Lego, I know where exactly where this comes from.  Rarely will a used Lego appreciate significantly if I hold onto it - most already hold their intrinsic value.  Hard for used Lego resellers to switch mindsets.  Plus I like the quicker cash flow turnaround.

• Like 1

Kmart allegedly has a 100% back on smart sense products promotion going on again:

"Get 100% CASHBACK in points when you purchase $10 or more on any Smart Sense, Little Ones, Champion Breed, Cat & Co., Grey Wolf, Image Essentials, be bath escapes, or Essential Home products. Points valid for 14 days."

I say allegedly because its not showing up for me when I add a bunch of stuff to my cart for store pickup. I won't have a chance to swing by a store until tomorrow, perhaps someone can report back if it works in stores before then. 

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, legorunner said:

Kmart allegedly has a 100% back on smart sense products promotion going on again:

"Get 100% CASHBACK in points when you purchase $10 or more on any Smart Sense, Little Ones, Champion Breed, Cat & Co., Grey Wolf, Image Essentials, be bath escapes, or Essential Home products. Points valid for 14 days."

I say allegedly because its not showing up for me when I add a bunch of stuff to my cart for store pickup. I won't have a chance to swing by a store until tomorrow, perhaps someone can report back if it works in stores before then. 

I'll wait for it to be active.

And likely there is a $5 off $50 coupon available on your account.  I do not have KMT anywhere close to me anymore, so they charge a shipping fee on some items.  Coupon pretty much covered it.  Plus I got some bonus free cash as well.  Total outlay with shipping & tax was $59, received $58 in points.

I've been checking for this promo periodically, so thank you for posting.  It is a great way to stock up on SYW points with stuff you actually can use.

Nice. Purchased $30 worth of SmartSense goods, redeemed a $1 on Grocery FreeCash offer and a $3 off $20 coupon, spent $27 out of pocket after tax and got $32 back in points thanks to the $1 on each $5 you spend promo that stacks with this 100% cashback promo. Store pickup so I hope they don't run out before they fill my order ....

1 minute ago, Phil B said:

Anyone seen any 2018 LEGO at KMart yet? Wondering/worrying that they've stopped getting stocked due to the financial troubles.

They closed all the Kmarts around me with the last one in the final stages of clearance =(

But I felt the same way when the last one was still open.... hardly any new stock.....that should have been the sign to me that they were next......

28 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I'll check when I swing by there, maybe this week.  I'm worried about TRU too, they haven't stocked hardly anything.

Picking up some Smart Sense stuff tomorrow, will check myself as well. It's starting to become difficult to find sets to spend my points on :)