71042 - Silent Mary

Alpinemaps

6 minutes ago, Lego Templar said:

I think everyone is missing the point. This is a movie. The ship looks like that. Lego made it to look like that. Take off the "I want a complete ship goggles" THEN look at it. Maybe they will release other ship based sets but this is based on a movie not a legit pirates theme.....

I think they did well

Yup, I was going to post that they should have make this set in a real lego spirit, where you get to rebuild a whole ship into this, but then, there never was a complete/not destroyed version of this ship probably (can't remember movies that well lol), so why would they.

either way, if it's $200, it better be huge.

Edited by Lordoflego

1 hour ago, Lego Templar said:
I think everyone is missing the point. This is a movie. The ship looks like that. Lego made it to look like that. Take off the "I want a complete ship goggles" THEN look at it. Maybe they will release other ship based sets but this is based on a movie not a legit pirates theme.....

I think they did well

No point missed, I'll just assume it looks dumb in the movie too. ;)

• Like 4

Guest TabbyBoy
1 hour ago, Frank Brickowski said:

No investment case. No one will pay premium for a broken ship after EOL.

My thoughts too ;-)

Being honest not negative.

I think a lot of people (myself included) were hoping for a chance to pick up a great ship comparable to Queen Anne's Revenge or Imperial Flagship at a decent price. The Silent Mary is something completely different. I'm disappointed, but honestly it's 1000 times better than just re-releasing one of the old ships.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

B000FTXNRI-1-lg.jpg?

I dont see any similarity between the new POTC ship and the Death Star investment-wise. Just because two things share one characteristic doesn't mean they share anything more apart from that. I see that you Americans hate pessismism, but it has many advantages including making better NO-buy decisions. My advice is: stay away from The Silent Mary as no ship-lover will ever display it. Your only potential buyers are movie fans.

Edited by Frank Brickowski
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Frank Brickowski said:

I dont see any similarity between the new POTC ship and the Death Star investment-wise. Just because two things share one characteristic doesn't mean they share anything more apart from that. I see that you Americans hate pessismism, but it has many advantages including making better NO-buy decisions. My advice is: stay away from The Silent Mary as no ship-lover will ever display it. Your only potential buyers are movie fans.

I think that's actually astute. Americans do hate pessimism. It is contrary to our spirit and our aspirations.

However, I agree that blind optimism is dangerous and naïve.

Americans also enjoy snark, and pointing out flaws in others' arguments.

Americans also enjoy posting with pictures and saving the thousand words they equate to.

No I don't think the POTC ship will perform like the DS2, I just felt like being snarky.

We love that.

• Like 2

I have a good idea...let's just dismiss this thing based on a handful of pictures and NOT an IDEA about the quality of the movie.

If Captain Salazer and SILENT MARY are iconic and this new movie restores POTC as a viable action/adventure franchise.....it will do well.

If the movie does poorly or the Salazar and the SILENT MARY unremarkable.....it will still be desired by completists of the line will want it as it is a ship. Pirate fans MIGHT want it because at the least it (maybe modded out a little) makes a kick ass sinking ship in a MOC.

The main hesitation, (IMO) as far as investing in it goes is that there seems to be several more iconic line/sets in the past couple of years that haven't done particularly well. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, scuttfarkas said:

I have a good idea...let's just dismiss this thing based on a handful of pictures and NOT an IDEA about the quality of the movie.

If Captain Salazer and SILENT MARY are iconic and this new movie restores POTC as a viable action/adventure franchise.....it will do well.

If the movie does poorly or the Salazar and the SILENT MARY unremarkable.....it will still be desired by completists of the line will want it as it is a ship. Pirate fans MIGHT want it because at the least it (maybe modded out a little) makes a kick ass sinking ship in a MOC.

The main hesitation, (IMO) as far as investing in it goes is that there seems to be several more iconic line/sets in the past couple of years that haven't done particularly well. 

I'm glad Ralphie beat some sense into you.

• Like 2

i am the weird lego ship collector i guess because i dont care about the hull that much.  i never was blown away the the bottom of the black pearl.  the build of queen anns hull wasnt that mesmerizing to me. i never even look at the bottom of the sea cow.  

i do care about the deck, aft, bow, sails, and bridge and the silent mary looks very unique and creepy and large.  

day 1 purchase for me.

• Like 2

Why is everyone calling this a broken ship?  Did I miss something, and the ship itself isn't "broken" in the movie. Moves, just like any other upon the ocean in the movie. Its part of the design of the ship. The ship is called the silent mary, makes no waves without a hull? 

Looks like the front of the ship has a play feature were the hull bends upwards, Lego promotional show it "swallowing" a ship. Lol  Shots also make it appear the hull itself (the ribs) move.

What am I missing?  I like it looks fantastically unique against "just another ship".  Don't blame lego for not rehashing an old ship, I'd prefer to have a new unique ship to add the to bunch.  If anything blame Disney for having a ship of this design if it doesn't suit your fancy.  Blame them for designing a "ship" that skirts the laws of physics. :-p

Edited by Klownicle
  • Like 3

Pretty sure LEGO releases sets to make money much to the occasional investor dismay.

IMO The success of this ship at retail or in the secondary market is dependant first on how well the movie is received and second on whether it fits in with traditional LEGO ships.

I don't collect any of the ships, but I'm pretty impressed LEGO went against the grain and made a unique set for more than the $25 price point.

• Like 1

It's a nice ship. The problem here is ships scarcity, people don't get a ship every year as get a police station, so when a real big ship is rumored, people get excited, get high expectetions but after we see a big ghost ship... we cant appreciate it for what it is. Lego give us more non themed ships so we'll be differently unsatisfied