What did you do today?

10 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I am seriously looking at cashing out of California, and moving back east, where I can get so much more home.

We bought our house in Oakland (SF Bay Area) in mid-2017 and thought we had bought at the high. Our home value is up 50% in our area since then (crazy), and with that equity, we could buy a house in quite a few other cities and not have a mortgage anymore. Our friend moved from here to Sioux Falls, South Dakota not too long ago and their place is HUGE and nice and they're loving it.

My wife wants to move to Scotland (she visited there a few years ago with her best friend and loved it), but I'm like "Scotland?!?" Anyways, it's nice to have options but I think we're staying put. The weather, culture, my wife's business, and our family and friends are reasons for us to stay. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, gmpirate said:

I hear ya brother.  I’ve been looking at Idaho & AZ.  Used to think about Texas but I don’t think I could handle the humidity.

its not that bad depending on where you are.  Houston is horrible, Dallas is livable.  Regardless, you just don't go out much in August.

3 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I’m fortunate that I’m 100% telework now, and can pretty much live anywhere in the US. We have friends in Georgia and North Carolina, so those are high on the list.

Maybe it’s a bit of grass is always greener, but we’ve outgrown our house here, need to move mother-in-law in with us.

We have a backyard that’s 12 feet by 18 feet. Standard SoCal home.

Just seeing what I could buy is amazing. Acres of property. Swimming pool. Chicken coops and stables if I were so inclined. All with a MIL sweet, super upgraded home. American dream that just can’t be realized in SoCal anymore.

for me, bigger (home, yard, pool, etc) just means more maintenance...I don't want to deal with. I would be absolutely miserable if you doubled my home square foot or yard size.  I am already suffering one of the worse decisions ever (having a pool).  Also having grown up in Cali, having 4 seasons suck (THAT novelty gets real old)...ofcourse having a wildfire season every year also sux

the "dream" is all about extra time and stress reduction.  more quality Time w family and friends and hobbies.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

We bought our house in Oakland (SF Bay Area) in mid-2017 and thought we had bought at the high. Our home value is up 50% in our area since then (crazy), and with that equity, we could buy a house in quite a few other cities and not have a mortgage anymore. Our friend moved from here to Sioux Falls, South Dakota not too long ago and their place is HUGE and nice and they're loving it.

My wife wants to move to Scotland (she visited there a few years ago with her best friend and loved it), but I'm like "Scotland?!?" Anyways, it's nice to have options but I think we're staying put. The weather, culture, my wife's business, and our family and friends are reasons for us to stay. 

I lived in the midwest for about 3 years. Just saying...ALWAYS being the minority in the room sucks big time.  Ultimately that (and the lack of food choices) were the main reasons we opted to move back to Cali.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

I lived in the midwest for about 3 years. Just saying...ALWAYS being the minority in the room sucks big time.  Ultimately that (and the lack of food choices) were the main reasons we opted to move back to Cali.

Yeah, I suppose that could be weird.  All I know is Socal and that's been my world since birth.

Just now, gmpirate said:

Yeah, I suppose that could be weird.  All I know is Socal and that's been my world since birth.

no it can be a really big deal depending on your personality. 

it's not like any overt racism...and everyone we ever met were cordial and friendly...but after awhile, every office, every restaurant, or bus...heads turn as a constant reminder that we don't fully fit in.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

it's not like any overt racism...and everyone we ever met were cordial and friendly...but after awhile, every office, every restaurant, or bus...heads turn as a constant reminder that we don't fully fit in.

Yeah, I get what your saying.  I've gone to places that were strictly a certain ethnicity and certainly felt all the stares and head turning.  I could only imagine if that was every day.

5 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

That is also one of my concerns about moving to another state where the cost of living is a lot lower. I'm Chinese and my wife is white, and of course, our kids are mixed. Even in the Bay Area, we get some stares from older people from time to time. I can't imagine how it would be if we lived in the midwest. I wouldn't be able to deal nor do I want to subject my kids to that.

Edited by oneknightr

2 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

That is also one of my concerns about moving to another state where the cost of living is a lot lower. I'm Chinese and my wife is white, and of course, our kids are mixed. Even in the Bay Area, we get some stares from older people from time to time. I can't imagine how it would be if we lived in the midwest. I wouldn't be able to deal nor do I want to subject my kids to that.

Based on the recent census: Hawaii, New Mexico, and now Cali are the only 3 states where whites are not a majority

For Asians...Hawaii is kinda special in that if you watched local TV ads or listen to the radio..the names of the dealerships or law firms are typically Asian sur-names..."Head over to Tanaka Ford..." 

45 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

To be fair that would happen if a white person moved to an Asian country as well. 

Edited by Mathew

26 minutes ago, Mathew said:

To be fair that would happen if a white person moved to an Asian country as well. 

That's not the same. You're comparing apples and oranges. The United States is a melting pot. Read the words on the Statue of Liberty. Asian countries are not the same as the US. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, oneknightr said:

I can't imagine how it would be if we lived in the midwest. I wouldn't be able to deal nor do I want to subject my kids to that.

If you imagined it would be basically no different than your life now, in a large majority of places, you would be correct. As much as some would like you to believe, you have to actually search out racist rednecks in the midwest.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

If you imagined it would be basically no different than your life now, in a large majority of places, you would be correct. As much as some would like you to believe, you have to actually search out racist rednecks in the midwest.

I lived in Indianapolis for 18months many years ago, the only racist tirade I was subject to was my black neighbour who insisted that I was cooking over an open fire and brought cockroaches from my native country. Up to this day, I still have a chuckle at the iron of being subjected to a racist outburst from someone whose race has been subjected to the same treatment for a long time in the states. 

2 hours ago, iahawks550 said:

again, in my 3 years, I never experienced anything that I would call racist behavior.  If anything folks in the mid-west are more friendly and welcoming.  The issue is being different. 

Subtle stuff like entering a restaurant and folks all take a glance at you.  not in a rude way but mostly curiosity.  For them I may be the first non-white person they have seen all day, week, or in some cases, months.  but there is also the Hmmm in the back of your mind when something kinda off happens and you wonder if it was racially motivated (things like waiting longer for a table or being overlooked when in line)....when it keeps happening at a place we stop going there.

Some ignorant stuff like being referred to as "oriental" or folks assuming I was Chinese...fiancee would often hear: "you're lucky you people don't gain weight like us"; overall generally being treated like a foreigner since that's the default assumption...the most annoying is when they have it in their minds that they won't understand you and having to constantly repeat myself (I've live in the US since the age of 4...if I have an accent its super mild).  fiancee is soft spoken so she pretty much gave up trying to speak in any public setting (stopped talking to waiters, etc) as no one seems to hear her right (she's been in US since age 3).

I would say Chicago is metropolitan...Detroit is just ghetto...but places like Toledo, Cleveland, or Indianapolis there isn't much diversity.

Edited by $20 on joe vs dan

16 minutes ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

again, in my 3 years, I never experienced anything that I would call racist behavior.  If anything folks in the mid-west are more friendly and welcoming.  The issue is being different. 

Subtle stuff like entering a restaurant and folks all take a glance at you.  not in a rude way but mostly curiosity.  For them I may be the first non-white person they have seen all day, week, or in some cases, months.  but there is also the Hmmm in the back of your mind when something kinda off happens and you wonder if it was racially motivated (things like waiting longer for a table or being overlooked when in line)....when it keeps happening at a place we stop going there.

Some ignorant stuff like being referred to as "oriental" or folks assuming I was Chinese...fiancee would often hear: "you're lucky you people don't gain weight like us"; overall generally being treated like a foreigner since that's the default assumption...the most annoying is when they have it in their minds that they won't understand you and having to constantly repeat myself (I've live in the US since the age of 4...if I have an accent its super mild).  fiancee is soft spoken so she pretty much gave up trying to speak in any public setting (stopped talking to waiters, etc) as no one seems to hear her right (she's been in US since age 3).

I would say Chicago is metropolitan...Detroit is just ghetto...but places like Toledo, Cleveland, or Indianapolis there isn't much diversity.

What would make them diverse?  Cleveland is more black than the US average, so is Toledo and Indianapolis.  Calling Detroit a ghetto is really no different than the events you described being directed toward you.

https://www.census.gov/quickfacts/fact/table/detroitcitymichigan,indianapoliscitybalanceindiana,clevelandcityohio,toledocityohio,US/PST045219

3 minutes ago, iahawks550 said:

I just Googled, because I had a different opinion.. But Cleveland??? What's your definition of diversity? 

Cleveland might be diverse if you look just look at the fraction that is non-white. But non-white are almost all African-American. While that is more diversity than smaller places in the Midwest, it's not diverse compared to CA. 

But more importantly, there is a big distinction between diverse and integrated. On paper, these cities might be 50-50 but it's not mixed at all. So your daily live looks like there is no diversity. 

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/the-most-diverse-cities-are-often-the-most-segregated/