What did you do today?

2 hours ago, TANV said:

Well, I tentatively accepted a job offer today. I'm negotiating some health insurance sticking points but I'm going to take it.

I interviewed last week with a corporate firm of 1.2K with offices across the US and in Spain. They also recently bought up more firms so they seem to do a lot of acquisitions. The interview went great, and I was offered a position 40 minutes in, with a title that was above what I applied for. They even threw in a corner office. I liked the manager and also I liked some of their work that they are doing. However, the salary was rather low. In fact, it was below my salary range by $7,000.

My wife suggested I reach out to a smaller, local firm where I had two interviews but they were unable to hire me due to the pandemic. Luckily, it turns out that someone had left the firm to move out of state and they were in need of help. After two interviews and emails back and forth, I got an offer that was the top end of what I asked for. In fact, it was $11,500 more than the other corporate firm. That pretty much sealed the deal, especially since we just had a baby.

It's a workers market out there right now but yeah, time to get back into the office. Maybe corporate life isn't for me...

Congrats on the new job!

thanks for sharing your experiences

34 minutes ago, redghostx said:

There's a joke or two just waiting to be told but I'll let this one pass.

Do you go all out for Christmas or that something your wife prefers, or neither?

Yay LEGO!

We love decorating for both Halloween and Christmas. My favorite is Halloween, and hers is Christmas. We both handle decorating inside for both (she does more inside for Christmas), and I do the outside decorations for both holidays. We just got into vintage blow mold collecting. We had one last year that my mother-in-law gave us a couple of years ago. Between last Christmas and now, we have amassed almost 30 pieces. Mostly vintage with a handful of new ones that were released this season. I've got a lot of work to do this month to figure out how to display them. I just learned about vampire plugs that come in handy for lighting them. Beats the standard outdoor extension cords.

24 minutes ago, TheOrcKing said:

If the halls are decked anything like it was for Halloween, I totally want to see this! :hyper:

I can't wait to see it too! haha Like I said above, I've got a lot of figuring out to do for all the new blow molds we bought. I'll post pictures once I've finished.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
45 minutes ago, House Schubert said:

bought this to restore... Wife calls it The Heepster... 1971 Hurst Edition Jeepster Commando... rarest Jeep ever made... Guess I should move the lego off the shelf before I get started...

IMG_3234.jpg

IMG_3246.jpg

The ratchet strap holding it together? down the center is a nice touch, but the hood mounted tachometer is the best part here (yeah, I googled it). Cool project!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

But the road for the move. Made it from San Diego to New Mexico today. Will be somewhere in Texas tomorrow.

You know, what you should have done is plan this trip over VIP Weekend.  You could have mapped out a route to hit every Lego store from here to Florida.

10 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Hit the road for the move. Made it from San Diego to New Mexico today. Will be somewhere in Texas tomorrow.

Try to have a rest stop / fill up at a Buc-ee's
https://buc-ees.com/locations/

7 hours ago, gmpirate said:

You know, what you should have done is plan this trip over VIP Weekend.  You could have mapped out a route to hit every Lego store from here to Florida.

There are still plenty of LEGO stores between TX and FL ;)

2 hours ago, Phil B said:

Drove around south-west Ohio to pick up Big Lots! orders. Got sentimental vibes when I realized one of my stops was one of my former KMarts … suddenly 50% off didn’t feel like much of a deal :)

One of the Big Lots! near me is a former Toys R Us.  I think there is a former Borders bookstore that was turned into a Big Lots! too.

• Like 1

Went to the Lego Store today and saw several of the following sets (notables/hard to find/retiring). On an unrelated note, the mall was surprisingly dead. No line to take a picture with Santa

Corner Garage

Stranger Things

Santa's Visit

Wreath

Ninjago Brickheadz Promo Three-Pack (on sale $23.99)

Barracuda Bay

Aston Martin DB5

London Bus

• Haha 1

On 11/26/2021 at 5:50 PM, LegoWalker4 said:

One of the Big Lots! near me is a former Toys R Us.  I think there is a former Borders bookstore that was turned into a Big Lots! too.

32 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

Went to the Lego Store today and saw several of the following sets (notables/hard to find/retiring). On an unrelated note, the mall was surprisingly dead. No line to take a picture with Santa

Let us all take a moment to thank Jeff Bezoa and the plandemic for the wonderful world we now are stuck with. 

13 minutes ago, TANV said:

Currently started sleep training my daughter using the graduated extinction method. This is kinda traumatic...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

Godspeed. My youngest daughter is 21 months old, and she didn't consistently sleep through the night until she was 14 months. She would scream herself to the point where she was hyperventilating, so sleep training was on her terms. The plus side of only a few hours of sleep a night mixed with numerous bottle feedings was that I was able to make time for TV shows, which is not something that normally fits in my schedule. Watched a lot of Narcos and hoped my daughter's first words wouldn't be Spanish curse words. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TANV said:

Currently started sleep training my daughter using the graduated extinction method. This is kinda traumatic...

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

We did the same for both our kids (now 13 and 9) and my big advice to you is to stick with it. It's real tough, but no matter how much she cries, you can't pick her up. 

The first night we tried it with our oldest, she cried for 90 mins straight, and we broke down and picked her up. Fast forward a couple of months of sleepness nights where she woke up every couple of hours, our exhausted selves decided to try again. This time, no matter what, we decided to stick to the plan and not pick her up at all. It was excruciating but we supported each other through it. After four nights, it was done. She fell asleep on her own every night since then. Good luck! 

• Like 1

We did the same for both our kids (now 13 and 9) and my big advice to you is to stick with it. It's real tough, but no matter how much she cries, you can't pick her up. 
The first night we tried it with our oldest, she cried for 90 mins straight, and we broke down and picked her up. Fast forward a couple of months of sleepness nights where she woke up every couple of hours, our exhausted selves decided to try again. This time, no matter what, we decided to stick to the plan and not pick her up at all. It was excruciating but we supported each other through it. After four nights, it was done. She fell asleep on her own every night since then. Good luck! 

Ha! 13 year old and 9 year old also. Sleep training worked fantastic for both kids. Similar results to yours, too.
  • Like 1

36 minutes ago, Alpinemaps said:

Ha! 13 year old and 9 year old also. Sleep training worked fantastic for both kids. Similar results to yours, too.

Yup. I've talked to other parents saying they can't bear to hear their kids cry. I always reply by saying, you'll be better parents for it. You can't be a good parent when you're exhausted.

• Like 2