What did you do today?

10 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Started my new job today. It takes me into San Diego now, which means I’m only 5 minutes away from a LEGO store now. Luckily, it’s telework so I only go in a couple times a month (to work that is)

So of course I stopped after work. Unfortunately they only had two of the four new Brickheadz. Shucky darn - I’ll have to go back.

Good luck! I guess they mandated masks when working in the building again for all Gov’t. I’m on vacation, but still plan on going in a couple days a week, since I can work behind a closed door with the mask off.

• Like 2

Just did a week long road trip down to Southern Cal (From SF Bay Area)

We hit Pismo Beach (1st time); stayed at an awesome kid-focused Airbnb. Main activity was boogie boarding

Then we did Disneyland: and contrary to what was posted earlier on this thread...it's the complete opposite experience now in terms of crowds: max crowds and getting into Rise of Resistance has reach lottery territory (even w/ all my planning, we didn't get in)

Then did San Diego: Sea World and then a Water Park

8 hr drive later we are back and ready for school to start tomorrow.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Just did a week long road trip down to Southern Cal (From SF Bay Area)

We hit Pismo Beach (1st time); stayed at an awesome kid-focused Airbnb. Main activity was boogie boarding

Then we did Disneyland: and contrary to what was posted earlier on this thread...it's the complete opposite experience now in terms of crowds: max crowds and getting into Rise of Resistance has reach lottery territory (even w/ all my planning, we didn't get in)

Then did San Diego: Sea World and then a Water Park

8 hr drive later we are back and ready for school to start tomorrow.

every time I passed a Walmart in San Diego...I wondered if Alpine was there

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Visited some museums and battlefields in Normandy on a road trip with my son. 

I was based in Bayeux one of the first towns liberated by the Allies.

Here are the places I visited in 1.5 days. 

Sainte-Mère-Église, Airborne Museum, Memorials dedicated to East Company near Brecourt Manor, D-day experience museum, Pointe du Hoc, Omaha Beach Memorial. 

On day 2, American Normandy Cemetery, Overlord Museum, Pegasus Bridge and Memorial, Merville Battery. 

The museums I visited were all excellent and I wasn't disappointed. I only wish I had more time to spare. 

• Like 9

This cat came straight up to me, no hesitation, put her paws on my hands & demanded a pet. I accepted the deal, as I assessed it as a classic win-win-situation. It has been 2 hours now, my arm is getting numb. All good though, poor thing probably doesn't get too much love. I already see myself getting attached & being sad when I leave this place.

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, BricksBrotha said:

Wow over a year later ha! Our basement has been very slow progress.  Finished up the drywall & mud/taping. Before and after pic of the Doorway and Barn door. The 2 pics of the sills are before I finished the tape/mudding. Still dreading the wall cleaning/painting, but that won’t take too long.  The barn door will keep all the systems and storage on one side and leaves us with 750sqft of finished space. Next up will be finding wood for the sills, about 35 ft of length. Thinking about going with a live edge look but still undecided. 

9CDE9F1C-949D-43D0-A257-A40E474AA4A4.jpeg

659F65D2-F879-4692-A087-4EFFA5390E9F.jpeg

BCD38B06-5D6A-414D-B25F-D1D2392BFFA0.jpeg

E04A9CC3-6573-4E8D-9236-B062D1A76EEA.jpeg

if this is a basement; what does that window open into?

2 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Does selling your old house/buying a new house count as a home improvement?

I am seriously looking at cashing out of California, and moving back east, where I can get so much more home.

I hear ya brother.  I’ve been looking at Idaho & AZ.  Used to think about Texas but I don’t think I could handle the humidity.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Does selling your old house/buying a new house count as a home improvement?

I am seriously looking at cashing out of California, and moving back east, where I can get so much more home.

My kid asked me if I would sell my apartment in Singapore and buy a house in Switzerland. I told him no way, I hope to move back to Singapore when I retire, its too bloody expensive here.

Even with my late entry to the pension system here, I figured I could take the pension and live very well back in Singapore without touching any savings. If you don't pay for a place or car in Singapore, it's super cheap. 

My kid asked me if I would sell my apartment in Singapore and buy a house in Switzerland. I told him no way, I hope to move back to Singapore when I retire, its too bloody expensive here.
Even with my late entry to the pension system here, I figured I could take the pension and live very well back in Singapore without touching any savings. If you don't pay for a place or car in Singapore, it's super cheap. 

And if you don’t buy beer, what is it like $4-10 a can depending on the store or restaurant. Love the chili crab place on the river, best crab dish ever!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hear ya brother.  I’ve been looking at Idaho & AZ.  Used to think about Texas but I don’t think I could handle the humidity.

I’m fortunate that I’m 100% telework now, and can pretty much live anywhere in the US. We have friends in Georgia and North Carolina, so those are high on the list.

Maybe it’s a bit of grass is always greener, but we’ve outgrown our house here, need to move mother-in-law in with us.

We have a backyard that’s 12 feet by 18 feet. Standard SoCal home.

Just seeing what I could buy is amazing. Acres of property. Swimming pool. Chicken coops and stables if I were so inclined. All with a MIL sweet, super upgraded home. American dream that just can’t be realized in SoCal anymore.
  • Like 2

58 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

And if you don’t buy beer, what is it like $4-10 a can depending on the store or restaurant. Love the chili crab place on the river, best crab dish ever!

In Europe beer is sometimes cheaper than coke, in Singapore if you drink in the coffee shops it's about 6 sgd a bottle. 

The best chili crab restaurants are in the suburbs.... Riverside joints are tourist traps! 

1 minute ago, MarleyMoose said:

Heading out soon to Logan airport to fly to Spokane, WA. Going to see Phish at the Gorge Amphitheatre on Fri, Sat and Sunday.

Used to live in Spokane. It's a great town with so much to do outdoors. The Gorge is an awesome place to see a show. I remember seeing Dave Matthews Band play there and a huge refueler plane flew right down the valley and tipped its wings at the crowd. So cool.

• Like 2

In Europe beer is sometimes cheaper than coke, in Singapore if you drink in the coffee shops it's about 6 sgd a bottle. 
The best chili crab restaurants are in the suburbs.... Riverside joints are tourist traps! 

Well I was there for a week so ya I obviously hit the tourist traps, but I’m sure your a vacation expert.

1 minute ago, Brystheguy said:

Used to live in Spokane. It's a great town with so much to do outdoors. The Gorge is an awesome place to see a show. I remember seeing Dave Matthews Band play there and a huge refueler plane flew right down the valley and tipped its wings at the crowd. So cool.

Any recommendations for restaurants?