What did you do today?

I disagree.  Humans have the remarkable ability to relate.  We do it every day on many levels on many subjects.  Have any of us been burned alive at the stake?  Obviously not, but we can draw upon similar experiences to come to a pretty good "understanding" of how horrible it would be.
I've never lived in a place where I'm the only one of my race, but I have been to places and been in situations where I have been.  From that I can at least "relate" to what some others here have experienced and at the same time use my intellect to understand that it would be worse to live it every day without end.  No its not the same thing, but human beings do not need to experience the same exact things in order understand, relate and appreciate what other people are going through.

I agree with being able to “relate” but please note I did not say “relate” relate is a “softer version of what I said, as a scientist I did try to choose my words very very carefully, and I specifically said “ know what it’s like” as in know what it’s like to be, which to me means that a person knows what it is like to be a person of that or in that situation. I suppose there is some open to interpretation but I believe most would agree that “relating” and “knowing what it’s like to be” are not equivalent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gmpirate said:

Race will eventually be a non-issue, and they will use something else.  It's actually already happening -- *** vs straight, income levels, genders . . .

This is an American-centric point of view (and maybe that's what you meant).

Most of the world...folks in their country are not thinking it's inevitable that their race will become mixed beyond recognition. A prevalent thought in the US is thinking blending is good...well I think the best example of the pros and cons of blending is in food.  There will always be a place for "authentic", always a curiosity for "new", and a class for "fusion"...and we've all seen poor bastardization of all three.  Can you imagine a world where there is no more "authentic"...If there's a ever a time where California Pizza Kitchen is the ONLY pizza available I would lose it.

• Haha 1

This is an American-centric point of view (and maybe that's what you meant).
Most of the world...folks in their country are not thinking it's inevitable that their race will become mixed beyond recognition. A prevalent thought in the US is thinking blending is good...well I think the best example of the pros and cons of blending is in food.  There will always be a place for "authentic", always a curiosity for "new", and a class for "fusion"...and we've all seen poor bastardization of all three.  Can you imagine a world where there is no more "authentic"...If there's a ever a time where California Pizza Kitchen is the ONLY pizza available I would lose it.

Golden Gate Indian Cuisine and pizza might be the absolute best pizza ever made, if a person likes the precursors of course. Far out in the sunset area just south of golden gate park on Judah.

33 minutes ago, junkrigger said:

Golden Gate Indian Cuisine and pizza might be the absolute best pizza ever made, if a person likes the precursors of course. Far out in the sunset area just south of golden gate park on Judah.

haven't heard of it...will try if in that neck of the woods

Best pizza I ever had is Lombardi's in Manhattan...in Bay Area my standard is Toto's (mainly due to accessibility..I know there's tons of independents that are probably awesome, but I don;t live close enough to experiment...I just keep getting what I know I like)   Cybelle's was what I grew up with when we lived in The City...In LA it's Mulberry's 

• Like 1

IMG-20210829-WA0004.thumb.jpg.141a32b8119a33b4b4db99f8451d26b4.jpg

Spent the day offshore, tuna for dinner tonight.

Catch bait, rig up, send it down & troll away until you get hit. Bonito bait fish are 12-16 inches, so you imagine the size of the targeted fish. Hook one & your workout is done for the day. Exhausting & addictive.

If you ever get the opportunity to book an offshore trip, do it, it's an amazing experience. Especially if you never went fishing before. You'll finally know how that sushi you eat is being caught & handled before it gets on your plate.

• Like 8
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, nami said:

Haha..But seriously, did you catch a tuna? I've been deep sea fishing a few times but never seem to catch anything bigger than about 10 lbs.

Yes. These are mediterranean blue fin tuna, you don't even see fish smaller than 90-100lbs, they're all big.

The usual stuff on the side, Mahis, Amberjacks, Groupers... same strat, lighter tackle.

It's not like it's skill or anything, the guide puts you on these fish, after that it's up to the mood of the tuna & your stamina. 

Edited by elmaslıefendi

2 hours ago, elmaslıefendi said:

Yes. These are mediterranean blue fin tuna, you don't even see fish smaller than 90-100lbs, they're all big.

The usual stuff on the side, Mahis, Amberjacks, Groupers... same strat, lighter tackle.

It's not like it's skill or anything, the guide puts you on these fish, after that it's up to the mood of the tuna & your stamina. 

aren't there limits?  I would think any licensed tour/guide will enforce limits

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

Seriously?  How many fish do you think he caught that day that a tour guide would start enforcing limits? 🙄 He was out there enjoying a nice day and trying to catch some fresh food. Surprised you’re not asking why he wasn’t wearing a face shield 😵💫 Oh wait.  Wrong thread 😆

2 hours ago, $20 on joe vs dan said:

He is not from the USA not all countries have limits. A few years ago I was on a charter and one of the guys I went with caught a tuna. It took 3 of us over 2 hours to reel it in and then we couldn’t keep it because it was too big. The guy told us it was worth at least $300,000. 

Revamped my entire storage setup. Until now my garage (main storage) was a mishmash of walmart, target, amazon and other boxes, mostly gotten for free, but with varying stacking capabilities. With space at a premium, I looked into some options and decided that the home depot medium size heavy duty ($2.65 each) boxes were my best bet as they neatly fit a large amount of sets and safely stacked at least 3 high. Also labeled everything on all 4 sides so as to easily find them when needed. Tremendous amount of work but things are pretty organized for now. Except when Im going to need to reach the far corner in the back...not going to be fun.

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Bricklectic said:

Revamped my entire storage setup. Until now my garage (main storage) was a mishmash of walmart, target, amazon and other boxes, mostly gotten for free, but with varying stacking capabilities. With space at a premium, I looked into some options and decided that the home depot medium size heavy duty ($2.65 each) boxes were my best bet as they neatly fit a large amount of sets and safely stacked at least 3 high. Also labeled everything on all 4 sides so as to easily find them when needed. Tremendous amount of work but things are pretty organized for now. Except when Im going to need to reach the far corner in the back...not going to be fun.

You've inspired me to do this, or at least start doing it with new stuff.  I have mismatched boxes sitting everywhere like some giant Tetris game from Hell.

1 hour ago, Jessekidd13 said:

You've inspired me to do this, or at least start doing it with new stuff.  I have mismatched boxes sitting everywhere like some giant Tetris game from Hell.

if yo uend up doing the same, ill save some time for you on calculating some popular sets. HD medium size (21 x 15 x 16) fits the following:

- 24 SF 

- 9 baronyx

- 10 trafalgar squares

- 8 empire state buildings

- 11 ISS

- 12 SIB

- 10 Jaguar speed champions

I started viewing my investments in terms of how much cost basis I can fit into 1 box. For the above that ranges from about $960 for the SF and $800 for empire state buildings to as low as 240 for JAguars. Clearly in terms of space, SF is a winner. Jaguar sets take up 4x the space which is crazy. Once I view things this way its  hard to go back, with storage space being so valuable.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...