Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Movie Discussion

Ed Mack

I think the crawl would have been a little thrown off with the flashback scene right at the beginning.  The could have eliminated that first scene and then used a crawl to describe what was going on, "...looking for a defector Imperial pilot with a message from a Death Star engineer..."  That first scene though gives us some context for how long they've been working on the Death Star and how important the Empire feels this one guy is.

38 minutes ago, Ed Mack said:

Sorry guys..Jeff tried to give me the explanation about the crawl.  It felt like Star Trek.  Just sayin'...

I agreed, but also understand why they did it to be 'different' It immediately told you this is NOT your usual Star Wars film

On the other hand, they DID open on a planet, and then pan up to something in space. In this case it was the rings of the planet, but that part felt familiar and cool.

I thought it was good how they kept stating the rebels were small and insignificant compared to the empire, they then throw everything they have at them above the planet and look to be holding the line, then when Vaders ISD appears one of the larger rebel ships breaks on the hull as if nothing but a fly. Gave a bit of scale where other films hadnt really. Its a shame they couldnt carry on after this film, episode 4 future remake anyone!

3 hours ago, ZULU said:

Went to see the movie 3d imax laser yday. 

First 20m were a little disappointing but i think it was my eyes adjusting to the effects. 

I enjoyed it, but it's not a home run as it lacked a little depth in terms of suspense and dialog. Some scenes are epic though. Certainly worth its money. 

This is why I stopped paying an extra $6/ticket. I wish this gimmick would die off and they focus more on 4K/megascreens.

• Like 3

Guest TabbyBoy

I gave up after queuing for an hour in the cold/damp and then missing the show we were booked for! The later shows were all sold out so I'm giving up and will see it in in the New Year. I just can't cope with crowds ;-(

It's the longest queue I've ever seen outside a cinema so this movie will likely break records this weekend! If reviews and consensus is poor, I'll not bother and will wait until it's on TV or on an aircraft in business class (I don't do coach!).

What star ships were in it, anything from OT? R2-D2? ISD?