Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Movie Discussion

Ed Mack

Another cool cameo was that Red Leader Garven Dreis and Gold Leader Jon Vander appear during the Battle of Scarif! They used stock footage from a New Hope to bring them in.

Vaders castle on Mustafar was also a great shot and I was suprised by it, although it look a bit like Saurons tower at first!

Another cool reference was that Jyn bumps into Ponda Baba and Cornelius Evazan. For the ones that don't remember that were the two criminals that pick a fight with Luke in the Mos Eisley cantina ;) 

• Like 2

Easter Eggs - what did you see/hear?

Chopper was rumored to be on Yavin 4, but I didn't see him. I did see the Ghost numerous times. Once on Yavin 4 and then in battle a few times.

The Hammerhead scene was incredible.

I think I noticed some A-Wing pilots, but I don't recall seeing any A-Wings.

2 hours ago, California92563 said:

All I have to say is wow that film was fantastic. Gareth put JJ to shame. 

I think JJ's film despite the flaws paved the way for RO.  Regardless, I do think RO has a superior script to TFA. Edwards took more chances with the writers /  reshoots and it paid off.  

RO is like Apollo 13.  Despite knowing the end, it was a good watch getting there.  

In my opinion, Rogue One is the only prequel film to ep 4. :)

• Like 7

Loved the terrorists (that's what the Rebellion basically treated them like) sitting around playing what looked like a physical version of the Falcon Holo Chess Board game in Forest Whittaker's (can't remember his screen name) bunker on Jedha.

They also seemed to be watching a holo video of a twilek girl dancing just like Oola.

Evazan and Ponda were awesome, it seemed like Ponda's head was too big, but i'm sure it was accurate.

The scene were a ground tech put a fuel hose onto an Xwing was so familar from Ep4

Leia looked weird, and it kinda jarred me from enjoying that scene, but Tarkin was fantastic.

Perhaps because his face was old and imperfect, whereas hers seemed like it should have been more smooth and flawless.

Animation is clearly not ALL the way to replicating humans, but it did strike me that Tarkin was amazing and Leia was just ok.

I wonder if people who DON"T get a buzz from seeing an Xwing take on an AtAt might think the movie was just, Meh.

The dialogue was ok, (hated vader's pun, don't CHOKE on your ambition, lame)

The characters were pretty good, but i didnt care about them like i did for Rey and Finn and Poe and Kylo. Maybe too many of them?

Overall, i gave it a 88%.

5 hours ago, Chillreign said:

There were tons of TIE's but mostly cannon fodder as always. AT-ACT was in the big battle scene. For me they will be remembered as the weak brothers of the "real" AT-AT. They are something like the "sunny AT-AT" 'cause the fight was shot at a shore / beach and it wasn't even near a badass scene as Hoth! Also they go down pretty easily!

I'm not a huge SW nut so these looked just like AT-ATs to me with a brown paint job. 

1 minute ago, kahuka said:

I'm not a huge SW nut so these looked just like AT-ATs to me with a brown paint job. 

Agreed, they did not explore the 'functionality' of the orange section and troop deployment at all. (the toy does this)

There WAS an AT-ACT that was hollow, as if it had deployed its orange section, but that happened off scene. Then the AT-ACT got split in half, as it looked pretty fragile without the cargo container. Perhaps why they did away with them? Also the week knees that the little screaming gunner blew up. 

I will say that the 'tram' that took the rebels from the outlier landing pad into the central tower kinda looked like the big orange cargo container in the middle of the AT-ACT. perhaps that's how they work?

if they had, it might lead you to believe these AtAts were very different,,,,but they didn't. So i dont see any real distinction in a kids' eyes.

Also they did not shoot Nerf Darts. So that was kind of a let down.

• Like 1

Really enjoyed the movie.  I agree that it is probably better than Force Awakens, but I could go either way on that.  FA has the attraction of revisiting those OT characters.

I missed all the Rebels references.

The last scene with Vader is just one more argument how the prequels squandered what they could have done with him.

As for the Lego sets, I like Krennic's shuttle, but haven't built it yet, we have built the U-wing.  My kids did say they wanted Chirrut in Lego form.  I like the TIE Striker, but you only really saw them briefly, definitely focused on the OT TIEs more.