Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Movie Discussion

Ed Mack

1 minute ago, exciter1 said:

How did you miss the Hammerhead, as prominently as it was featured?

What are you calling the Hammerhead, the Ghost?

It was probably due to one of the hundred questions my eight year old was asking me.  He's like his mother, they just need to let the movie play out and put it together themselves.

2 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

What are you calling the Hammerhead, the Ghost?

It was probably due to one of the hundred questions my eight year old was asking me.  He's like his mother, they just need to let the movie play out and put it together themselves.

Used against the 2 Star Destroyers

Image result for star wars rebels hammerhead

• Like 1

Just now, fuzzy_bricks said:

I had no idea that was a Rebels thing.  Have they had a prominent role in Rebels, I'm not caught up on season 3.

I watch a lot of TV passively, while I'm doing something else, so my retention on that stuff is terrible.

They were featured several times in Season 2 and Princess Leia made her first appearance exiting one.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

I do agree with this, except for maybe Kylo.  He hasn't grown on me yet.

23 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

He hasn't grown period ....

When i say, cared for the characters, I meant both in positive and negative light.

I loved Rey and Finn and Poe, and i HAAAATED Kylo,

I didn't hate Krennic nearly as much. He was pretty evil, but it didn't 'land' with me.

18 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I agree that it is probably better than Force Awakens, but I could go either way on that.  FA has the attraction of revisiting those OT characters.

I missed all the Rebels references.

I don't think they should be compared. It's like Disney World and Cedar Point. One is safe and fun, and full of joy and some tears, the other is a harsh thrashing that leaves you screaming and asking for more. 

5 minutes ago, fuzzy_bricks said:

I had no idea that was a Rebels thing.  Have they had a prominent role in Rebels, I'm not caught up on season 3.

I watch a lot of TV passively, while I'm doing something else, so my retention on that stuff is terrible.

Me neither, totally missed all that, but i've only seen bits and pieces of the show.

Edited by mudcatsfan

3 hours ago, jaisonline said:

I think JJ's film despite the flaws paved the way for RO.  Regardless, I do think RO has a superior script to TFA. Edwards took more chances with the writers /  reshoots and it paid off.  

RO is like Apollo 13.  Despite knowing the end, it was a good watch getting there.  

In my opinion, Rogue One is the only prequel film to ep 4. :)

Oh yeah ep7 is still a great film in my mind but they definitely nailed the classic Star Wars tone that everyone knew and loved more with this film so I applaud gareth for doing that. 

I was "happy" that almost everyone was blown up and killed . Puts a great emphasis on how much was at stake in episode iv after so many sacrifices and losses in terms of men and hardware.. also liked who the DS wasn't used to eliminated an entire planet since that would have contradicted later scenes in episode IV .. small stuff matters . 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

I didn't hate Krennic nearly as much. He was pretty evil, but it didn't 'land' with me.

I liked the Krennic more as the movie progressed, then he became a tragic character at the end, once Tarkin leveraged his influence.

I can't get over how great Tarkin is.  I never expected him to be a prominent character and the likeness to Cushing was incredible.  Fantastic job ILM. 

Have you guys read the recent articles that this story arc was John Knoll's baby and he championed it originally during the discussions for the TV series?  I always enjoyed John's stuff, including Photoshop.

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-rogue-one-john-knoll-20161212-story.html

http://www.macworld.com/article/3150451/entertainment/how-rogue-one-a-star-wars-story-is-connected-to-the-mac.html

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:

I was "happy" that almost everyone was blown up and killed . Puts a great emphasis on how much was at stake in episode iv after so many sacrifices and losses in terms of men and hardware.. also liked who the DS wasn't used to eliminated an entire planet since that would have contradicted later scenes in episode IV .. small stuff matters . 

My biggest disappointment was that they all died.  For me, the sense of loss and sacrifice would have been amplified if one of them had survived, just one.  Maybe the pilot guy retreating after the opening of the shield, with a handful of troops.  Knowing that the data had been sent and there was nothing more than could be done.   Something to add to the poignancy of the loss of the others – to  emphasize that fact that they had made a choice, rather than it being inevitable. As it is was, by the time Jyn died I didn’t care, it all felt too clinical. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

They were featured several times in Season 2 and Princess Leia made her first appearance exiting one.

Good to know, I would never have connected those dots.  It will probably get made into a Lego set now.

7 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

There is a book, Catalyst, that explores his relationship with the Erso family, making that first scene more impactful.  I certainly appreciated his character more having all that backstory and history.

13 minutes ago, mudcatsfan said:

I don't think they should be compared. It's like Disney World and Cedar Point. One is safe and fun, and full of joy and some tears, the other is a harsh thrashing that leaves you screaming and asking for more. 

Post prequel trilogy/Disney buyout, they will be compared, but I agree that they have their own feel.

1 minute ago, California92563 said:

Oh yeah ep7 is still a great film in my mind but they definitely nailed the classic Star Wars tone that everyone knew and loved more with this film so I applaud gareth for doing that. 

yup. i admire how the film staff transitioned into that 1977 ANH look but what really impressed me was how "current day / modern" the film looked (in general) at the sometime.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

Easter Eggs - what did you see/hear?

Chopper was rumored to be on Yavin 4, but I didn't see him. I did see the Ghost numerous times. Once on Yavin 4 and then in battle a few times.

I am fairly certain in the background of one scene at Yavin over the intercom we heard:

"paging General Syndulla"

which I assume is Hera

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, jaisonline said:

yup. i admire how the film staff transitioned into that 1977 ANH look but what really impressed me was how "current day / modern" the film looked (in general) at the sometime.

It definitely fits in well with the OT movies.

I always hated that about the Phantom Menace: it just doesn't look like Star Wars to me.

Speaking purely from a stylistic point of view: In the late 90's to early 2000's there was sort of a fetish for round / curvy things. You can clearly see this in product design of that time. I think whoever was in charge of cinematography for the Phantom Menace didn't pay enough attention to the style of the original movies and as a result the whole movie looks very out of place to me. The ships are round, the droids are round, the buildings are round, ... I also think everything looks a bit too "clean". Star Wars stuff is supposed to look more gritty

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

It definitely fits in well with the OT movies.

I always hated that about the Phantom Menace: it just doesn't look like Star Wars to me.

Speaking purely from a stylistic point of view: In the late 90's to early 2000's there was sort of a fetish for round / curvy things. You can clearly see this in product design of that time. I think whoever was in charge of cinematography for the Phantom Menace didn't pay enough attention to the style of the original movies and as a result the whole movie looks very out of place to me. The ships are round, the droids are round, the buildings are round, ... I also think everything looks a bit too "clean". Star Wars stuff is supposed to look more gritty

Went to see the movie 3d imax laser yday. 

First 20m were a little disappointing but i think it was my eyes adjusting to the effects. 

I enjoyed it, but it's not a home run as it lacked a little depth in terms of suspense and dialog. Some scenes are epic though. Certainly worth its money. 

1 hour ago, jaisonline said:

Yeah it's exactly what I was hoping for, a modern day OT film. It was breathtaking seeing part of the rebel fleet and the x-wings, tie fighters, star destroyers etc with all of that detail. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dday0606 said:

I am fairly certain in the background of one scene at Yavin over the intercom we heard:

"paging General Syndulla"

which I assume is Hera

I wasn't sure if General Syndulla was refering to her father, Cham Syndulla.  Most likely Hera.  

Also did you see the ghost, just outside the yavin base as Jyn and Cassian were walking to the U-wing?

Here is my quick take on the movie...

• I missed the traditional STAR WARS opening title and text crawl/scroll.  It's not STAR WARS without it IMO.
  • Visually wonderful.  Epic fight scenes and vehicle action.  If the Imperial Star Destroyer and X-Wings don't shoot up in value, I don't know what else could help them.  
  • Music was so-so.
  • Characters were good enough.  I didn't really cared that they died, but it worked for the movie and story.
  • K-2SO was very cool.  I was more upset with him being destroyed than the people dying.
  • CGI was well done and believable.
  • Last minute of the movie was one of the best of all STAR WARS movies...Darth Vader kicked ass and is a man among boys.
  • Overall, a well done, action packed movie that made you appreciate, STAR WARS IV: A New Hope, even more...
  • Like 3