Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Movie Discussion

Ed Mack

33 minutes ago, exciter1 said:

Every time I watch a cartoon, I think the same thing. Bugs Bunny fools me every time.

14 minutes ago, BrickLegacy said:

The repetition of that quote throughout the movie actually annoyed me.

That's what I thought about Bugs Bunny's "What's up Doc?" - Okay Bugs, we get it.

Edited by KShine
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, jaisonline said:

Too bad 10188 won't see a bump :(

all the other OT Saga UCS sets will see a bump especially the Blockade Runner. 

I always ask myself how it is seen to be given that exactly those sets that are represented in a new movie will see a rise in value? I mean is there actual data to supoort that assumption? What if the B-Wing played a prominent role in a new movie?...

Just saw the movie. Absolutely blown away. You should have heard the applause when the credits started rolling, easily my favorite SW film.

That ending scene was incredible. If you saw it, you know what I'm talking about. If you didn't see it yet, what on earth are you waiting for!

• Like 7

39 minutes ago, richardcore said:

Saw it Wednesday night and was disappointed to say the least. I'm gutted and will see it again sometime in the morning soon to hopefully change my opinion.

Disney will be delighted with that! Ching ching.

Hopefully many other people will be so disappointed that they will watch the film 10 times and then buy turdloads of retired  Lego Star Wars sets for their kids, themselves and their dog.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, TANV said:

CONS

Character Development - Forest Whitaker and Mads Mikkelsen are such phenomenal actors.  However, their roles were too short and felt almost like an afterthought. I wanted to see how Saw Guerrera evolved further into the extremist who was disavowed by the Alliance.  Most importantly, what were the circumstances that led to Jyn being abandoned by him? Don't just talk about it but show some of it.  Mads as Galen felt a bit of an afterthought in someways. They needed him to be the one to lay the trap in the Death Star Plans but didn't show more about his time working for the Imperials or develop a bit more of his family life and relationship with his daughter.  He didn't seem to convey enough depth, despite the fact that his wife is dead and his daughter has been missing or presumed dead for so many years.  You wear being teased with cake with icing on it but it turns out it was just really a loaf of bread underneath.  A flashback or two would've helped this out and also show more of his cleverness working for the Imperials.  Finally, Jyn and Cassian needed more screen time to show their respective youths.  Cassian talks of losing everything when he was 6 but doesn't go into further detail than that. There is a ruthless streak to him especially when he kills his informant but it doesn't reveal as much as you hope.  Jyn herself needs more fleshing out.  How has she survived for all these years and what has she done in her time leading up to this?  What motivates her rather than her apathy? I wanted to feel a bit more emotion especially at the end but it wasn't as poignant as seeing K2S0 or Baze and Chirrut die.  They all need just a bit more screen time.  The actors were very good but their talents were underused.

Excellent review, and I mostly agree.

While I agree that Forest Whitaker felt a bit wasted. I think the decision to remove (or not include) much of the back stories worked. They were all broken - they had all done things, or failed to do things in their lives (it was easy enough to fill in the blanks, and anyway, sometimes the mystery just works better).

I really enjoyed how in the end, they each died somewhat at peace, accepting of their fate.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, KShine said:

Excellent review, and I mostly agree.

While I agree that Forest Whitaker felt a bit wasted. I think the decision to remove (or not include) much of the back stories worked. They were all broken - they had all done things, or failed to do things in their lives (it was easy enough to fill in the blanks, and anyway, sometimes the mystery just works better).

I really enjoyed how in the end, they each died somewhat at peace, accepting of their fate.

You definitely do get the sense of how broken all of them where on the inside but in terms of development, I didn't sense that there was enough time for that to properly percolate since you ended up jumping from A to B to C just to keep up with the pace of action. An extra 15-30 minutes of screen time would've mitigated that to an extent.

Props to Disney for the fates of the characters. Talk about dying in a blaze of glory.  It was more realistic than a storybook ending.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Ed Mack said:

I see a nice bump for the 10240 as well.

I hope you still have some Red 5s left...

Resellers on Amazon are making sure that bump does not happen anytime soon. They are falling over themselves to move inventory before Feb and pricing well below ebay. Ouch. If their repricers get to $200 I may have to help them out and start buying their stock. Fear always makes money for us.

Have to wait for the usual names to donk off their stock for nothing and then it is time to cash in. Maybe 2018?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, richardcore said:

Saw it Wednesday night and was disappointed to say the least. I'm gutted and will see it again sometime in the morning soon to hopefully change my opinion.

What did you not like about the film?

Personally this is my 2nd favourite star wars film after empire strikes back

• Like 1

Just now, richardcore said:

I can't explain into detail without mentioning spoilers so I won't. But the fact I didn't feel anything for the new characters is the main issue. All were introduced in a rush. The first half of the movie was chaotic. Apart from the obvious plot the story was bad. I fell asleep.

Join the spoiler thread and fire at the ready . 

• Like 2

48 minutes ago, Bold-Arrow said:
Anyone took their kids yet ? 5 to 7 years range ? Taking mine tomorrow and wondering if they will have a hard time following the story and if the lack of Jedi would be a cause of disappointment . 

I took my son, age 6. He isn't a huge Star Wars fan. Asked him just now and he gives Rogue One a "9.5" and Force Awakens a "5". He did seem a little restless in the beginning. I tried whispering a few things to him so he knew what was going on. He loved the lines from K2...actually repeated a few during the movie.

• Like 4

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this, but one thing I thought was clever was the way they weaved into the core part of the story the fact that the Death Star being easy to blow up was intentional! I thought that was genius, since it's always a bit of a running joke. Now, the fact they didn't fix that for Ep 6 though....

I liked it the more I thought about it. I actually thought Jyn and Cassian were the weak links - should have felt some emotion for them dying at the end, and I didn't really care.

I completely missed the Rebels references (minus the Hammerhead). 

When Sen Organa talks at one point about having a Jedi from the Clone Wars he trusts, I thought I heard him say "she"? Did I mishear that? I thought perhaps we were going to see Asohka.

26 minutes ago, nolanfan34 said:

I'm not sure anyone has mentioned this, but one thing I thought was clever was the way they weaved into the core part of the story the fact that the Death Star being easy to blow up was intentional! I thought that was genius, since it's always a bit of a running joke. Now, the fact they didn't fix that for Ep 6 though....

I liked it the more I thought about it. I actually thought Jyn and Cassian were the weak links - should have felt some emotion for them dying at the end, and I didn't really care.

I completely missed the Rebels references (minus the Hammerhead). 

When Sen Organa talks at one point about having a Jedi from the Clone Wars he trusts, I thought I heard him say "she"? Did I mishear that? I thought perhaps we were going to see Asohka.

I believe he meant he trusted Leia to contact Ben.

• Like 3