Rogue One: A Star Wars Story - Movie Discussion

Ed Mack

The more I reflect on Rogue One, the more I think Disney missed an opportunity by revealing Vader in the trailers. Star Wars fans were going to see it no matter what. They didn't need the teaser. Imagine the reaction in the theater as you approach his castle and when you see him for the first time in the tank. That's goosebumps material. Instead you are stuck analyzing his suit for consistency and question his choke cliche remark to Krennic. Imagine the impression the final scene leaves you when you have no expectations of a Vader appearance. Most of us were expecting something from Vader but I can only wonder how more impactful it would have been with zero expectations. A missed opportunity.

It's why the Leia scene works. You see her from behind and immediately you move to the edge of your seat. When she turns around it's pure magic, a capstone to an already great film. You don't look for imperfections in her face. You just smile and feel like you are a kid again ... ready for a New Hope.

• Like 6

On 12/16/2016 at 6:51 PM, KShine said:

I thought it (Tarkin) was distracting (technology not quite there yet).

I agree. They went to it too much. The technology was very good but not perfect. If you are going to have a CGI human in a movie that much it has to be perfect. I felt like I was watching a video game cut scene when he was on screen. It took me out of the movie a little. If they had just had him in one or two scenes it would have been fine but he was in a lot of the movie.  Too much for me.

Edited by jbacunn
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, jbacunn said:

I agree. They went to it too much. The technology was very good but not perfect. If you are going to have a CGI human in a movie that much it has to be perfect. I felt like I was watching a video game cut scene when he was on screen. It took me out of the movie a little. If they had just had him in one or two scenes it would have been fine but he was in a lot of the movie.  Too much for me.

Yeah, puppets used over and over weren't distracting?  Watch it a few more times and it will be old hat.  I don't recall being soooo disappointed in the muppets.

On 12/18/2016 at 9:43 PM, Black_towr said:

And lastly, I thought the score was pretty weak. 

There was much drama with the score. The original composer got canned and Michael Giacchino only had 4 weeks to score the movie. I can't even fathom how someone could compose a score for an entire movie in only 4 weeks so yes, it was a bit rough in places. 

54 minutes ago, jbacunn said:

There was much drama with the score. The original composer got canned and Michael Giacchino only had 4 weeks to score the movie. I can't even fathom how someone could compose a score for an entire movie in only 4 weeks so yes, it was a bit rough in places. 

Yeah honestly for the first time ever the music was my least favorite aspect of the film. It was my main gripe. 

I've been listening to the soundtrack a bunch since last Friday and I enjoy it. I may be biased though - MG is one of my favorite modern soundtrack composers. And I've met him, too. :)

He wrote all the music for LOST. Weekly TV show with new compositions every episode. Dude can put together fantastic scores in a short amount of time.

His music isn't for everyone and when it's SW you are expecting iconic. I'm honest enough to say it's not really iconic. But it had to go in a different direction considering this particular SW film.

Watched it last Monday evening together with some colleagues from work. We all loved it tremendously! Excellent movie that connects really well to Episode IV, giving meaning to what were previously considered as plot-holes of that older movie. 

On the other hand, after watching the high-octane fast-paced and violent Rogue One movie, A New Hope feels rather slow and a bit goofy in comparison. The tone of ANH is quite different!

Just now, Haay said:

Watched it last Monday evening together with some colleagues from work. We all loved it tremendously! Excellent movie that connects really well to Episode IV, giving meaning to what were previously considered as plot-holes of that older movie. 

On the other hand, after watching the high-octane fast-paced and violent Rogue One movie, A New Hope feels rather slow and a bit goofy in comparison. The tone of ANH is quite different!

I think you are asking George Lucas to reshoot Eps 4-6 again, aren´t you? Maybe in 4d.

That should keep the mortgage payments under control for the next 10 years.

Not my theory.  Posted on Reddit from TVTropes.  I do really like this theory:

While Jyn and Cassian are walking in the hangar, General Syndulla is called to the briefing room over the PA system. [Dave Filoni] has confirmed this is Hera and not her father, it's all too likely that Mon Mothma decided to send the Ghost to Scarif to extract the plans, given that it's the sort of mission that they specialized in on Rebels. Rogue One just beat them all to the punch and left without any planing whatsoever.

• Like 1

I finally watched it and I enjoyed the movie a lot.

- I like the old school feeling of it, even at the beginning with how the space was shown.  It looked so much like ep4.  Then they interlaced with the shots of planetary rings, old + new = cool

- Tarkin CGI did not bother me too much.  Leia on the other hand, ew, the mouth was not aligned well with the rest of her face

- The R1 characters played important roles in the mission.  They were arc-types, but the writings and acting made the characters "fresh"

- The battle sequences were nicely done.  I still think the trailers revealed too much though

- Yay Hammerhead & proton torpedoes.  Now that was a strategy I would expect from Rebels TV show :thumbsup: 

- I missed Chopper :( although I saw a different C4 unit when Jyn was first brought to YavinIV

- I missed paging general Syndulla too, I blamed the theater sound system, since BGM & SFX drowned characters dialogs

- "Are you kidding? I am blind" :D:D:D

- I did not catch how "Director" Krennic outranked the generals at Skarrif base

- I saw a mouse droid following Stormtroopers at Skarrif

- How lucky that the Rebels' flagship was damaged just enough as to not destroy Leia' Blockade Runner inside:P

ETA:

1 annoying CONS :P  I found the red reflection on Vader's "eyes" were annoying

Saw it too and most of you nailed it already regarding plot, SFX, characters. K2 does look like something you would squash if you found it while you were in the shower so I don´t know how popular it will be compared to the more loveable BB8 and R2.

On an investment side, I see the main beneficiaries being, in order:

X wings and Ties, ISD, Vader buildable, Tie Striker, Death Star

The rest didn´t really feature that much at all or were just used for transportation and not action sequences.

I watched ANH again after seeing Rogue One twice, I agree with @Darth_Raichu about CGI Tarkin and Leia.  I didn't really notice much difference between Peter Cushing in ANH and the CGI version in RO.  The RO folks did an excellent job here. Now the Leia CGI cameo looks way off.  Maybe Edwards should have just left Leia's back facing the camera which would have been alright with her true reveal in ANH.

By the way, here's an interesting video.  Nothing really new but cool nevertheless.

• Like 3

Finally got a chance to see the movie tonight.  Loved it.  WAY better than EP VII. 

Tarkin didn't bother me too much when he had a shorter scene or they had him further away, but when he was in a longer dialogue and the camera was fixed on him, his "CGI-ness" showed much more.  Leia didn't bother me at all, thought that was great that they were able to slip her in at the end. 

While you always take movies like this with a grain of salt, I was a bit bothered by the ISD that was crashed into by the other being pushed by the Hammerhead absolutely falling apart.  I mean, maybe getting moved aside, but to fall apart by another ship of equal size getting pushed by a little tugboat didn't work for me.

Also, if Dr. Evason and Walrus guy are on Jedha, how they hell do they end up on Tatooine?  Did they not get vaporized in the blast with everybody else in the city that took direct impact?

Ok, enough with my little quibbles.  I loved the Ep IV feel to the movie with all the older technology that looked like it was directly out of that movie.  Loved seeing all the old ships again with all the old characters.  Can't wait to watch again to look for more Easter Eggs since I missed all the Rebels references. 

Oh, and Felicity Jones is hot.

I finally watched this last week and I found the lack of character development disturbing.  We went as a group of 4 and our "reviews" ranged from terrible (he must have been watching a different movie) to absolutely awesome and two with varying degrees of satisfaction.  I think that it was technically incredible and well acted and I particularly enjoyed Tarkin, Krennic, and Bad Ass Vader when they were on screen.  K-2SO was also entertaining but it was also the only source of humour.

I might have to watch it again to look for the nods to the fans but I found it mildly tedious and unmemorable and that's odd for me because I love slow builds.  I don't really consider it a war movie or a Star Wars movie but a hybrid that only worked some of the time, especially when a character would simply be added without a real explanation.  I also didn't care about any of the protagonists and their fate like I did in episode VII.

I see that I am in the minority here but that's ok and it still makes me want to see episode IV again and VIII when it comes out. :)

As it's own movie, I consider it a 6.5-7 out of 10
As a Star Wars movie, I rate it higher because it effectively achieved  what it set out to do.

Edited by redghostx
  • Like 1

I watched it the day after Xmas. I was not impressed. I expected alot more from it. The start was very chaotic. Did not like the actress. Rey was much much better.

Also noticed some hidden propaganda messages in the film. Not good. 

Loved to see all the starships and vehicles. The end scene was more than epic!!! Best part of the movie by far. 

Just now, Ciglione said:

I watched it the day after Xmas. I was not impressed. I expected alot more from it. The start was very chaotic. Did not like the actress. Rey was much much better.

Also noticed some hidden propaganda messages in the film. Not good. 

Loved to see all the starships and vehicles. The end scene was more than epic!!! Best part of the movie by far. 

Geez man, it's just a movie.  Lighten up a bit.

• Like 2