10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

• 3 weeks later...

So, Red Five retires, the eBay price settles in at $300.00 and our thread goes dead. Anyone want to predict the short and long term of the price trend?

I'm thinking that Christmas will bring the price to about $400, which is about $330 after eBay/Paypal take their bite from us. That's a good appreciation. 

Anyone want to share their strategy of how many they're going to hold on to and how many they're going to flip? I'm in this game only to pay for the amount of Lego's that we buy our son so I'm gonna flip a few for Christmas and hold a few long term.

In Europe, I'm hoping for it to hit 450 euros by Xmas. It seems like it's on it's way. I'm new to trying to flip. I generally just build what I buy, so this year is the "trial year" and if things work out, then my wife will give me a better budget for next year :) ... thus... I only managed to pick up 3 Red 5s. I might keep one, but once the price doubles, I'm probably selling and investing that into Slave 1s because that is a GREAT ship. Red 5 was fun, but Slave 1 was a really great build and there aren't a bunch of Slave 1 sets out there, whereas if you throw a rock, or rather, a Lego brick, you'll hit about a thousand different X-Wing sets. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Goodby1 said:

So, Red Five retires, the eBay price settles in at $300.00 and our thread goes dead. Anyone want to predict the short and long term of the price trend?

I'm thinking that Christmas will bring the price to about $400, which is about $330 after eBay/Paypal take their bite from us. That's a good appreciation. 

Anyone want to share their strategy of how many they're going to hold on to and how many they're going to flip? I'm in this game only to pay for the amount of Lego's that we buy our son so I'm gonna flip a few for Christmas and hold a few long term.

I'd love for it to hit $400 USD by Christmas but I don't think it will. 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Did one of you jackals beat me to the one that popped up on TRU earlier. I checked out and it poofed, but had to quickly cancel the other items that were sitting in my cart that I accidentally purchased. Stupid now-full price dimensions!

Not today (not from lack of trying, heh). I did manage to get one a few days ago though.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Sfcommando14 said:

Did one of you jackals beat me to the one that popped up on TRU earlier. I checked out and it poofed, but had to quickly cancel the other items that were sitting in my cart that I accidentally purchased. Stupid now-full price dimensions!

I got one!  Woohoo!

• Like 1

Just now, exciter1 said:

I'm still waiting for R2 to hit $600.  I want a holiday 2015 do over.

I would be ecstatic if it hit and stayed above $400

Guest TabbyBoy

It's just a matter of waiting and it's not far off $400 in the UK right now. This is the most iconic X-Wing and it'll be gold eventually. I should be £100 up on each one I have by the Summer. Assuming R2-D2 is in EP8, he'll hit the roof, unless..... LEGO resurrects him ;-(

Guest TabbyBoy
15 minutes ago, MarxMarvelous said:

R2D2 was in Ep7. 10225 price dropped during that time.

I know but, he was hardly shown in EP7. eBay is flooded with 10225 right now so, I hope global unopened stock dwindles before EP8. BTW... 10221 has just hit £865 so a grand isn't far off. However, I think the market could flood then as a lot will be waiting for that milestone.

I expect 10240 will be £900+ by christmas, so anyone who doesn't have any yet should buy up any that are £500 or below. I will be kind and put mine up for £450, i know i will be looseing out in the long run but my reward is helping others.

This is all based on fact, that i may or may not have made up. :lolu::lolu::lolu:

• Like 2

I expect 10240 will be £900+ by christmas, so anyone who doesn't have any yet should buy up any that are £500 or below. I will be kind and put mine up for £450, i know i will be looseing out in the long run but my reward is helping others.

This is all based on fact, that i may or may not have made up. :lolu::lolu::lolu:

There were plenty available at Legoland Windsor for £169.99 MSRP at 10am this morning if you wanted one!

2 hours ago, Hogi said:

So true, seems like a huge amount of qick flippers has joined. Prices stagnated or went down on most sets i observe

And maybe the growth also slowed since the original version's used price is similar to a new 10240...  Although 10240 has some improvements, the ships are still close enough for folks trying to save cash.

not sure if anybody cares but got my (only) unit from Amazon reseller at market value ($289) in January (I did search desperatly for RRP but I could not find it where I was, USA, FL)

packing code 10R5

I had to have it and resellers (or you guys) need somebody like me :-)

Edited by Simon74
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

So with the resistance x-wing about to hit the shelves and Poe's already out I'm not sure what it spells for 9493 (yes its an OT x-wing but the general population now have a couple of other options to go for so IMO appreciation might stagnate on these for a while); BUT (back on topic) it got me thinking about R5.

Even if this is the most hoarded UCS set I reckon it's knocking on R2's price tag door at x-mas (so another ~ 20% from where it is now).  
This ship is OT, in the new trilogy and likely going to be in Rogue one as well (maybe only as a cameo). That's some serious fan base coverage its got and I only think its going to beef up the demand.  If TLG are going to focus on playsets (AoH and perhaps new DS) with the snowspeeder now shelved till 2017... TF and S1 are great but i think the new AFOLs are going to look to R5 while its still relatively reasonably priced for a retired set.