10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

I actually do have faith in it and was a big promoter of it

I do not have the huge faith I once had but I do have faith

I am just conflicted like Kylo Ren on it

however it is hard to be happy positive Trek on all things Legowith thousands upon thousands of additional investors coming on board

and for me to say that ...

that is saying something ....

• Like 1

Over the pond, this set is still selling but the power sellers came into the game quicker than I had anticipated so it is likely going to be pegged back at 300-340 euros for a while now. This means there will be a convergence with Tumbler and ToO. Kudos to those who made the most of the big kick in the first 2 weeks after retirement.

I guess that in the US, it will take time for the QF´s to run out of stock so growth like in Europe won´t happen till later on this year.

It´s all about the discount buy-in sellers clearing inventory right now and there will be A LOT of them to clear - same as with DS and TH back in the day.

Funny how you can change the name of the set but the result is the same.

Edited by valenciaeric
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

It´s all about the discount buy-in sellers clearing inventory right now and there will be A LOT of them to clear - same as with DS and TH back in the day.

yes, ive seen this behaviour on many recently-retiered sets...tumbler, ds, red5, (atat, isd), ...

6 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

It's the Post Retirement Quick Flip, or PRQF :D:D:D 

• Like 3

10 hours ago, trekgate502 said:

yep I remember when I was a kid and went to an actual savings and loan bank and put money in with my dad and got 5% interest

big stuff at the time :)

We still get that sort of thing going on here but it is more for the customer of advancing years.

I remember my grandfather takking his book in once a year to get it 'made up' and have all of the interest added.

Interest? That's all very 2009!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, torville1976 said:

We still get that sort of thing going on here but it is more for the customer of advancing years.

I remember my grandfather takking his book in once a year to get it 'made up' and have all of the interest added.

Interest? That's all very 2009!!

If I could get 5% interest on a FDIC insured account (I was getting 5.75% in 2008 -- sigh), I'd stop investing in lego right then and there.  A risk-free 5% with no time spent packing and shipping?  Sign me up.

• Like 2

everyone, please continue to treat each other with respect.  ...and for the love of LEGO, stop calling each other out.

2 simple rules  to live by :

• if someone posts a comment that you disagree with, IGNORE it and go build, buy or sell a set. 
  • if someone posts a comment that enrages you, IGNORE it and go build, buy or sell a set. 

PM 2 or more Mods if you want to escalate something. if needed, your issue will be escalated to Jeff and Ed by the mods.

cc'ing the mod and admin team

@Jeff Mack @Ed Mack @jaisonline @stephen_rockefeller @exciter1 @BrickLegacy @Quacs @Mos_Eisley @Bold-Arrow @Darth_Raichu @TheOrcKing @Alpinemaps @gregpj

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

I agree - this set hasn't done well for investors because of the market.  If I were a buyer, I'd buy it from Lego or anywhere else for RRP, before turning to a reseller.  Even when it was out of stock, it was only temporarily out of stock, with a date on it.

For investors, this set will do just for.  For QFLL'ers, who flipped when it went OOS, I'm sure they did okay.

Average price over the last year is $236.  That's about what I would expect for a set that is still in production, that has no discount available to it.

Stay or go - it doesn't really matter.  But let's be realistic about expectations.

The set is not still in production, though.  It has been sold out on LEGO Shop at Home for at least four months or so.  ToO disappeared around the same time, and is showing a similar lack of growth.

As best I can recall from 2014, literally every retiring exclusive showed about double the growth over MSRP (say, 60% vs. 30%, going by Amazon sales price; this includes free shipping, but that's a constant so the comparison still holds) in the same span of time (measured from last date of availability on LEGO Shop at Home; I'm talking US market here, since I only loosely follow the euro market).

It's not just a question of those two sets.  There is a continuing trend here.  For example, GE is currently $40-$50 below where FB was at the same time last year, and GE actually retired earlier in 2014 than FB did in 2013.

Performance on this side of the pond has been stellar, perhaps because it was very hard to find outside SAH so now it´s gone for good people only have the secondary market to go to. We also had somewhat of the perfect storm with the new mobie hype and Xmas combining with retirement.

I guess that in North America, growth will rapidly catch up with us when this set becomes impossible to find and is officiallly announced as retired.

Edited by valenciaeric

34 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

The set is not still in production, though.  It has been sold out on LEGO Shop at Home for at least four months or so.  ToO disappeared around the same time, and is showing a similar lack of growth.

Red 5 sold out at shop at home on 10/15/2015 so we're not even at 3 months yet. 

Red 5 was available at amazon until early November.  My last 2 from amazon shipped on 11/3/2015.  

So now we're talking  just over 2 months since its been available from a retailer for MSRP.

TOO has been showing up on amazon as recently as 10 days ago.

Let's keep the facts straight.

46 minutes ago, GhostDad said:

That's not true though.  Last production run that we know of was week 41.  So while it may not be in production anymore, it was very recently that it was taken out of production.

More importantly, though, is your assertion that it's been sold out for at least four months.  Look back over the last 11 pages of this topic - people were reporting it in store as late as Christmas week, which was only two weeks ago.

This quote is mine from the beginning of November:

My Lego Store had 41R5 codes on their Red 5s today.

Here are a small sample of others.  There could be more from more recently...I just stopped at December 22:

On November 15, 2015 at 0:01 AM, cladner said:

41R5 is the same code that people have been reporting since October.  All the Red5s I obtained recently from amazon have been 41R5.  It's actually encouraging to me that there isn't something more recent on the shelves of the LEGO store.  Put the Cristal on some ice.  32 days 21 hours, 55 minutes til lift off.

On November 16, 2015 at 6:02 PM, chubz said:

just picked up 2 red 5 x-wing

37r5

41r5

On December 1, 2015 at 10:59 AM, solidpro17 said:

should I buy these? there's 3 at local Lego store

On December 4, 2015 at 1:16 PM, Haay said:

566202bb4ae6f_RedFiveRetiringSoon.png.dc

On December 17, 2015 at 2:07 PM, valenciaeric said:

It´s now in stock at SAH - like PS it just wont go away and 2015 retirement now looks less and less likely for both

On December 19, 2015 at 9:17 AM, brickcrazyhouse said:

still available in MD B&M

On December 22, 2015 at 2:19 PM, LahH001 said:

Picked one up at my local Lego store in London at the weekend.  They had quite a few on the shelves.

• Like 1