10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

4 hours ago, valenciaeric said:

It´s the Ebay  exchange rate that falsifies UK data - compare GBP sold price to original RRP and the % increase is similar to euro sales.

The €351 auction was German with free domestic shipping. Just making the point that it's a bit early to be drawing conclusions from a handful of sales only 2 weeks after retirement. Let's look at it 6 months from now and we'll have a better picture of where this set is actually headed.

35 minutes ago, oneknightr said:

If Red 5 officially retires in the next few months, this leak will be good news for us.

Rogue One.png

I'm not sure I understand?  Can you further elaborate.  Having original OT x-wings in the movie will just usher in a lot more x-wings in lego form over the next few months.  There is a serious possibility of x-wing overload.  Just look at the FA sets as an example.  We currently have Poe's, but this summer, they will do Poe's other ship that was in the beginning of the movie.  If they have 3 to 4 rotating x-wings every 2 years, it may lessen the demand for other previous sets.

9 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

I'm not sure I understand?  Can you further elaborate.  Having original OT x-wings in the movie will just usher in a lot more x-wings in lego form over the next few months.  There is a serious possibility of x-wing overload.  Just look at the FA sets as an example.  We currently have Poe's, but this summer, they will do Poe's other ship that was in the beginning of the movie.  If they have 3 to 4 rotating x-wings every 2 years, it may lessen the demand for other previous sets.

Could also mean 10240 sticks around for a while longer...

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, fossilrock said:

You need a fleet of x wings to go with one millennium falcon, as depicted in the movies. And UCS x wings is different from playset x wings. You dont see the MF playsets affecting value of UCS MF. In fact playsets will likely trigger demand for UCS version.

34 minutes ago, jaxman said:
24 minutes ago, chipbee said:

You need a fleet of x wings to go with one millennium falcon, as depicted in the movies. And UCS x wings is different from playset x wings. You dont see the MF playsets affecting value of UCS MF. In fact playsets will likely trigger demand for UCS version.

Could also mean 10240 sticks around for a while longer...

My point is simply that you can't go about in this game thinking that lego won't produce another UCS x-wing of one of the many forms that are now appearing in these new films, whether it's in the new trilogy films, or the anthologies. 

There's a new Han Solo movie coming too, and that will be a prime time to bring out another UCS MF, or another MF playset...  I'm sure we will see 5 different versions of a MF in the next 6 years..  By then, the oversaturation will be in full swing. 

And no, most normal folks dont need a fleet of x-wings.   People usually have limited space in a house.  I know, I don't plan on getting my child 5 different x-wings. 

• Like 1

When Lego rolled out their big PR blitz a year ago, what did they do?  They constructed a life-sized X-wing in Time's Square.  One could argue that the Lego X-Wing is *the* signature model from this company.  There will be more X-wings, always.  What this means to the value of 10240 I have no idea.  Buy anyone that thinks they won't have a future X-wing based on the new movies is ignoring a decades worth of data from Lego themselves.

Of course they will have new X Wings

Tall X wings 

Short X wings

Wide X wings

Skinny X wings

Big X Wings

Little X Wings

Every X Wing of every shape size and now with Poe every imaginable color maybe we get a yellow one next ?

To me the points are

Is this set retiring ? Yes I think so in Europe it has a Retiring Soon tag and Sold Out in the US it has a red Sold Out

Is the sell through on Amazon good ? Well yes it is averaging about 740 units a month even though everyone likes to be down on this set

Will they release another UCS X Wing that is intended to be this X Wing or another UCS X Wing before Rogue Squadron ? I think no

Is it appreciating? Amazon yes outside of one listing at $271 the next one is at $282 we still have been getting intermittent stock which I think is about to change

Will people be excited about this X Wing with the Rogue Squadron movie ? I think so

Could Rogue Squadron have nothing to do with X Wings ? A little hard for me to believe maybe they are all in Y Wings and admiral backbar is leading them in b wing (I like him by the way)

Does this set stand a probability of having a good return this Christmas ? Yes

For me that is enough

For you make your own decision we do not have to decide the same thing on this site decide what you think is best

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, diablo2112 said:

When Lego rolled out their big PR blitz a year ago, what did they do?  They constructed a life-sized X-wing in Time's Square.  One could argue that the Lego X-Wing is *the* signature model from this company.  There will be more X-wings, always.  What this means to the value of 10240 I have no idea.  Buy anyone that thinks they won't have a future X-wing based on the new movies is ignoring a decades worth of data from Lego themselves.

It doesnt matter as i am not shooting for 5x or 10x returns. Those days are long gone anyway. 2 to 3x are the new winners, and red 5 should be in this category as even at 3x the price is usd600, which is still low enough for many folks to be willing to pop open to play.

• Like 1

I would say a safe hold in the US would be 3 years. I would not risk anymore than 3-4 years investment hold for any star wars set now. Disney will be looking for money from the star wars IP. I don't think Disney will to a remake of the classic x-win, I would bet that they will do a UHC of the new x-win design first before returning to this set in particular.

I still wish that R2-D2 could have been unique. Maybe a battle damage fig and be unique to the 10240 set. If that were true then i would be 100% certain that you can triple or dare I say quadruple your money after retirement with enough time. Sadly this is not the case and I see 250% being max on this set. To me, I see this set as a winner and 250% profit margins is great.

• Like 1

Worried about a remake?

Simple, set a strategy where you cover yourself for that eventuality, while keeping a number of 10240's for the long term.

Buy 10, sell 6 over time to cover the cost of the ten, sell the other 2 for profit, and keep 2 long term, something like that. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fossilrock said:

My point is simply that you can't go about in this game thinking that lego won't produce another UCS x-wing of one of the many forms that are now appearing in these new films, whether it's in the new trilogy films, or the anthologies. 

There's a new Han Solo movie coming too, and that will be a prime time to bring out another UCS MF, or another MF playset...  I'm sure we will see 5 different versions of a MF in the next 6 years..  By then, the oversaturation will be in full swing. 

And no, most normal folks dont need a fleet of x-wings.   People usually have limited space in a house.  I know, I don't plan on getting my child 5 different x-wings. 

Normal people don't pay $250 for 7965 when they can get the new MF for half that price or cheaper.  A lot of our customers are not 'normal' people in common eyes.

• Like 1

from my perspective, worrying about a UCS x-wing remake when the current one is just SOLD OUT not even retired yet seems premature.

any remake won't be a remake of Red 5 it'll be someother x-wing.

saying red 5 is like any other x-wing and so watch out for any x-wing remake is like something a mom selling her kids toys at a garage sale would say.  blaspheme.

red 5 is a mythic figure in my SW universe.  its the ship that destroyed the death star. 

if you are really worried, unload by 2020.  you are dreaming and/or  ignoring product history  if you think we get another UCS X-wing before then given the current 13 year interval between UCS X-wing more likely 2022-24 . ba.bababababa what about the Christmas Toy shop set remake ....  what does that have to do with anything...

i'm expecting to hold for 3-4 years then sell one-two  a month for 2 years once it hits $500.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, cladner said:

from my perspective, worrying about a UCS x-wing remake when the current one is just SOLD OUT not even retired yet seems premature

Indeed it was marked as 'sold out' yesterday in UK, NL and DE.

Like Valenciaeric says, today it is marked as 'retired product' in the UK, NL, DE. As is usually the case, it's still 'sold out' in the US. 

http://shop.lego.com/en-NL/Red-Five-X-wing-Starfighter-10240

In my opinion, this is good news for us. Red 5 "should" be officially marked as retired in the next few months. I don't think Lego will produce another UCS X-Wing for a while. Will they produce regular size ones like 9493, Poe's X-Wing, and the upcoming Resistance X-Wing related to the new Rogue One movie? Of course. That's definitely going to happen. But another UCS remake? I highly doubt it. Well at least not in the near term. It took 13 years for Lego to remake 7191 into 10240. I think this is good news indeed.

• Like 1

10240 Red Five was already officially retired in Europe on December 28th, as you can read back in both this topic and the Retired Product topic on that date.

But as always happens when a few more unsold boxes are found on a shelf in the warehouse, or some ordered boxes were returned, the option to "Call to Check" is set for some quick buyers to pick up those few spares. After those have been paid and shipped, the product status is set to Sold Out, and when the transactions are finished (grace period?) the status returns to Retired Product once again. We've seen this happen so many times already, it shouldn't be a surprise any longer for the regulars on this forum. :) 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Haay said:

10240 Red Five was already officially retired in Europe on December 28th, as you can read back in both this topic and the Retired Product topic on that date.

But as always happens when a few more unsold boxes are found on a shelf in the warehouse, or some ordered boxes were returned, the option to "Call to Check" is set for some quick buyers to pick up those few spares. After those have been paid and shipped, the product status is set to Sold Out, and when the transactions are finished (grace period?) the status returns to Retired Product once again. We've seen this happen so many times already, it shouldn't be a surprise any longer for the regulars on this forum. :) 

Yep, I get it. I'm just waiting for the official Retired Product stamp here in the good ol' US of A. :)  Since Lego started changing statues from Sold Out back to Available last year and adding a new color for Sold Out, I can't trust anything anymore with the exception of Retired Product.

Edited by oneknightr