10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

1 minute ago, Sprocket77 said:

You can't compare the 10188 to every other set, there are so many sets that can be the next UCS that there's not going to be a Red Five remake for a long time.

10188 isn't going to be the basis on which Lego does their business for ever more, it's the Star Wars equivalent of the Police Station. The only reason they took it off sale at all was because it was dated and needed a revamp and it'll be on sale for another 8 years before they do the same thing again.

There were just as many sets that could have been the next UCS before 75159 popped up.

So in your opinion the chances of a Red 5 remake have not increased since 75159 pictures leaked? I see no reason why they cannot do another remake if they did it with 10188. What's so special about the Death Star compared to Red 5?

2 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

There were just as many sets that could have been the next UCS before 75159 popped up.

So in your opinion the chances of a Red 5 remake have not increased since 75159 pictures leaked? I see no reason why they cannot do another remake if they did it with 10188. What's so special about the Death Star compared to Red 5?

Playset vs. display set. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

The Death Star was released in 2008. R5 was in 2013. Why would they remake it now when they could have just left it on sale? It's not happening.

11 minutes ago, c_rpg said:

I think the chances of a remake aren't affected by 75159.

If Lego could have just left 10188 onsale permanently they would have, but it was dated, the same way as the police and fire stations get dated and need revamps. This is about having a clearly identifible marquee set for the line, which for better or worse they have decided is going to be the Death Star. 

38 minutes ago, Sprocket77 said:

If Lego could have just left 10188 onsale permanently they would have, but it was dated, the same way as the police and fire stations get dated and need revamps. This is about having a clearly identifible marquee set for the line, which for better or worse they have decided is going to be the Death Star. 

The number one reason that it was 'remade' was to put a certain company's logo on the box.  By far, that's the number one reason IMO.

• Like 1

X-Wing is an iconic vehicle and it will be remake at some point in the future. However, there are many other great vehicles fans are looking forward to. Just one from TFA is Rey's speeder. Lego have plenty of options to make fans happy without having to rehash retired sets this quickly.

3 hours ago, c_rpg said:

I only have one Red 5 left, but I do have an entire gold squadron of 9495's ready for Christmas.

On another note, how likely do you guys think a Red 5 remake is? Considering what they've done with 10188 I think it's not at all that unlikely we'll see a remake within the next few years.

you sold too soon

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Average Guy said:

They gotta recoup that $4 billion back somehow. $100 at a time...

$2 billion box office on the force awakens with probably a $200 million budget.  I think they are doing just fine with the star wars ip.

Edited by gobuffs98
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZULU said:

you sold too soon

Yeah maybe, but I only had three to begin with.

One to build, and two to sell. I sold at 300€ which is still 100€ profit in a very short amount of time. If I make another 100€ on the other one, I will have gotten a free Red 5 out of it :)

4 hours ago, tractorboy said:

The Death Star was released in 2008. R5 was in 2013. Why would they remake it now when they could have just left it on sale? It's not happening.

Maybe they retired it to make room for other sets? Now they have more production capacity and some of the current exclusives are not selling all that well. Bringing Red 5 back would be a really quick and easy way to make money. I don't think it's all that unlikely.

4 hours ago, Sprocket77 said:

That's an interesting opinion. So are you saying this is not going to be a new trend for future UCS releases and it will be limited to the Death Star? You don't think a MF re-release is coming?

10 hours ago, c_rpg said:

That's an interesting opinion. So are you saying this is not going to be a new trend for future UCS releases and it will be limited to the Death Star? You don't think a MF re-release is coming?

I think a MF remake is possible in the near future, but that set is due a remake, it wouldn't be an earth shattering event after this long a time, unless you're just after buying 10179 for €5k.  It's not as if UCS Star Wars sets don't get remade eventually, Red Five shows that.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...
Guest TabbyBoy
On 24/08/2016 at 7:15 AM, Sprocket77 said:

I think a MF remake is possible in the near future, but that set is due a remake, it wouldn't be an earth shattering event after this long a time, unless you're just after buying 10179 for €5k.  It's not as if UCS Star Wars sets don't get remade eventually, Red Five shows that.

I suppose that could be why the R5 doesn't provide much (if any) profit after fees and postage? I personally don't think that any UCS sets since the SSD and R2-D2 will be making any big money. This is why I'm not wasting any money on the Sandcrawler and especially that dreadful Ewok Village.

15 minutes ago, Ciaraf76 said:

Ok, just so I'm thinking straight - should I buy this for £227 delivered?  I've not paid over RRP on any of my sets but this is one I've wanted for a while.  I've been keeping an eye on prices and this seems to be a good deal - what do you think?

For personal build? I'd say yes, because prices certainly aren't going to get any lower in the coming months. For investment I think this will go up more, but there's a ton of stock left. I'd say 300-350€ in 2017 and maybe 350-400€ by 2018 depending on what sets come out (another, non-UCS OT X-Wing?). People are complaining this set hasn't done well, but it hasn't even been a year since retirement and it's up 35%. Euro market that is, US is not as good.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, TabbyBoy said:

I suppose that could be why the R5 doesn't provide much (if any) profit after fees and postage? I personally don't think that any UCS sets since the SSD and R2-D2 will be making any big money. This is why I'm not wasting any money on the Sandcrawler and especially that dreadful Ewok Village.

One mans Ewok Village is another mans Dr Who.

32 minutes ago, Ciaraf76 said:

Ok, just so I'm thinking straight - should I buy this for £227 delivered?  I've not paid over RRP on any of my sets but this is one I've wanted for a while.  I've been keeping an eye on prices and this seems to be a good deal - what do you think?

Agree with what @c_rpg@c_rpg says. £227 is a really good price for this set. It usually sits around 275 and dropped to 250 during the £1 final value fee promo from ebay.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Ciaraf76 said:

This would be for a personal build.

I think that's a great price - I know the feeling about paying above RRP for sets.  Kinda stings for the ones you missed but I dont think you'll regret it for something like this one. The alternate to getting it cheaper for a personal build would be getting a used one but then you run the risk of there being parts missing and also requires all that sorting.
Unlikely you'll get a used one much below £200 I think.

+ with Rogue One just around the corner I'd say this one goes back up to £250 over the next month even with the supply out there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

I think that's a great price - I know the feeling about paying above RRP for sets.  Kinda stings for the ones you missed but I dont think you'll regret it for something like this one. The alternate to getting it cheaper for a personal build would be getting a used one but then you run the risk of there being parts missing and also requires all that sorting.
Unlikely you'll get a used one much below £200 I think.

+ with Rogue One just around the corner I'd say this one goes back up to £250 over the next month even with the supply out there.

I've seen a few used ones but in this case I'd go new as I want it to be perfect.

Guest TabbyBoy
21 minutes ago, Ciaraf76 said:

I've seen a few used ones but in this case I'd go new as I want it to be perfect.

Well, you know where you can get one from ;-)

3 hours ago, Ciaraf76 said:

I'm of the mindset when it comes to UCS sets for personal build I don't mind paying over rrp as long as theres still some meat on the bone. I also tend to go for vgc used w/box, instructions and unused socketsrather than new as I don't mind sorting the bricks out.  Unless of course the price difference is negligible.

My most expensive purchases were SSD (500) and IS (350) but they are in demand with prices rising.

I'd love 10030,10134 & 10179 but the prices are high and stagnated even for used sets and I regard those as the highest risk of remake.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
Guest TabbyBoy

I'm so glad I got £200 each for most of mine when I did as this set is proving to be yet another turkey.

There's a huge amount on eBay right now where one sold for £188.65 and one DID NOT sell at £200.00 - I just can't understand why such a superb set is tanking like this!

PM me if anybody in the UK wants 8 new ones at RRP £169.99 each - buyer collects.

That's it - NO MORE STAR WARS SETS FOR ME !!!

Edited by TabbyBoy