10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

Guest xuesongc

The lego investing landscape is changing, way more sellers than in the past. Either you will need to hold these sets for longer for less profit, or perhaps its not going to profitable altogether. 

1 hour ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'm so glad I got £200 each for most of mine when I did as this set is proving to be yet another turkey.

There's a huge amount on eBay right now where one sold for £188.65 and one DID NOT sell at £200.00 - I just can't understand why such a superb set is tanking like this!

PM me if anybody in the UK wants 8 new ones at RRP £169.99 each - buyer collects.

That's it - NO MORE STAR WARS SETS FOR ME !!!

I think the LEGO X-Wing market is saturated (UCS or not) and will continue to be. I bought none of these and I will bet money that another UCS X-Wing will be released within the next 1-3 years. UCS R2-D2 was the last decent Star Wars UCS set to be investing in and it might be the last for a long while

2 hours ago, TabbyBoy said:

I'm so glad I got £200 each for most of mine when I did as this set is proving to be yet another turkey.

There's a huge amount on eBay right now where one sold for £188.65 and one DID NOT sell at £200.00 - I just can't understand why such a superb set is tanking like this!

PM me if anybody in the UK wants 8 new ones at RRP £169.99 each - buyer collects.

That's it - NO MORE STAR WARS SETS FOR ME !!!

Wow, £ 170 is around €200 which even less than Dutch RRP was back in 2015 ! 

But you do have a point. The NISB sets offered on Marktplaats for bidding get bids around €200 too now, even though sellers still try to ask €250 - €300 for it. But with apparent low demand the sellers are undercutting each other with a downwards spiralling selling price as a result. 

I think the problem for Red 5 in the UK was Argos offering it at crazy prices and it retiring at the peak of the 'gold rush' along with The Tumbler

People are getting impatient and happy just to cash out. Think it will be the same with a few big sets that retired last year.  I only have two and happy to hold and wait out the panic selling.

• Like 4

35 minutes ago, Fenix_2k1 said:

I think the problem for Red 5 in the UK was Argos offering it at crazy prices and it retiring at the peak of the 'gold rush' along with The Tumbler

People are getting impatient and happy just to cash out. Think it will be the same with a few big sets that retired last year.  I only have two and happy to hold and wait out the panic selling.

The impatient should have sold in January and they would have made a tidy profit. At least they could hold another month and see what happens rather than flooding the market with cheap stuff now. After 3 years, a month is not going to kill anyone.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Furious_george said:

Cue the "starwars is dead!" post.....

Hype has been quieter than for TFA, but that could actually be a good thing. When folk see the movie and all those AT AT´s and X wings, it´s ching ching time.

2 lines I would hold now are OT SW and Simpsons.

Edited by Val-E

3 hours ago, oneknightr said:

Seeing videos and photos of the X-Wing in Hollywood is giving me high hopes for R5. Crossing my fingers. 

It all depends on what and when TLG remakes. 

But give red 5 a year or two and prices should be back up above 300e

i'm not selling mine below 350.

everybody was very downbeat on B wing in the past as it was massively discounted and perceived as a clunky set. I waited for the panic to subside and made very good (100%plus) gains. 

Without remakes, i stay bullish on the sw ucs. They tick my boxes. Only issue is stocks and remakes. I'm worried that by the time people have unloaded and given up TLG comes wih a remake.

that would kill irr...

PS so many clients and fans want the whole collection ...

Edited by ZULU

1 hour ago, ZULU said:

i'm not selling mine below 350.

Not selling mime for less than £300....probably hold out for £450 unless i hear rumours of a remake.  Mine are hidden away in Sector 4 (sisters attic).  

Negotiating for Sector 5.....work colleagues attics.  

• Like 1

Guest TabbyBoy
43 minutes ago, MoHu said:

Not selling mime for less than £300....probably hold out for £450 unless i hear rumours of a remake.  Mine are hidden away in Sector 4 (sisters attic).  

Negotiating for Sector 5.....work colleagues attics.  

They've had their day and the £300+ window has been and gone. I'm glad that mine are gone without making a loss which could easily have happened. Since the R5 has tanked, what hope is there for the SC and EV? You have to realise that it's now all in the timing, not in the holding. If you wait, you'll probably see them for £150 or less once the "Argos-3-for-2-brigade" get desperate to offload. If I'm wrong, at least several of you have had "cheap" R5s of me ;-)

Guest TabbyBoy
6 hours ago, oneknightr said:

Seeing videos and photos of the X-Wing in Hollywood is giving me high hopes for R5. Crossing my fingers. 

Cross your toes too! It HAS to be the R5, any other version will have no impact. R5 actually started to depreciate once Poe's one was on the screens. As Ed says, it could that the horrible box hides a superb set and buyer's incorrectly judge a book by its cover.

I never thought I'd say this but, I've made a hell of a lot more money on CITY sets than UCS SW sets. Also a lot more by flipping job lots than selling individually.

Edited by TabbyBoy

9 minutes ago, Haay said:

Looking at the price development history of Star Wars UCS sets I notice that they invariably really only start to increase in value some two years after official retirement.

Since 10242 Red Five only retired one year ago it's simply just way too early to expect solid gains on it. Yes, initially after official retirement there was a big bump in price caused by resellers buying off each other and boosting the demand and therefore the market-price of this set. After that demand wound down the prices dropped as well. 

But ... calling R5 a dud/turd because of that is just plainly ridiculous. Even the 10227 B-Wing, which was massively written off by investors as a dud/turd while it was available at LEGO Shop at Home and sold at huge discounts, is now doing just fine. Even 2nd-hand used it sells for no less than €275 in Europe and new prices are at €300-€400 ... 

Give the Red5 time. It will do well for those who have patience. :) 

With UCS sets it's either you QFLL them right after the post-EOL bump for a quick cash-out, or you hold on to them for 3+ years.

Finally some optimism. I only have one of these but maaaaaaaaaan the broken record whinging about it and other current UCS sets is putting me off clicking on any of these threads.  We get it. Give it a rest.

• Like 6

I often wonder why this forum has "Investment Guide" in the title and not "Quick Flipping Quide". I only have 1 of these, and brought it to sell 3-4 years down the road (unless remake signs appear), not 12 months after retirement.

This and the EV thread have me screaming:

59707205.jpg

• Like 7

1 minute ago, John82 said:

I often wonder why this forum has "Investment Guide" in the title and not "Quick Flipping Quide". I only have 1 of these, and brought it to sell 3-4 years down the road (unless remake signs appear), not 12 months after retirement.

This and the EV thread have me screaming:

59707205.jpg

I normally agree, but some sets do peak and then its price point vs time held etc. Considering most of us bought loads of these for like £97 each last year and selling them for around £335, nets you after fees/shipping etc around £160 each, it is worth unloading early sometimes.

• Like 2

I think the frustrating thing about this set has been the endless low-balling so prices have been all over the place. There was one sold for €280 +shipping on ebay EU today, but it will still sell for less over the next few days rather than sellers adjusting their prices accordingly. It just needs more time before prices begin to steady. Demand is still good so I'm hoping the new movie and xmas will help thin the herd a bit. A year from now I think €350 +shipping would be a reasonable expectation.