10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

Just now, GiliusThunderhead said:

So with the resistance x-wing about to hit the shelves and Poe's already out I'm not sure what it spells for 9493 (yes its an OT x-wing but the general population now have a couple of other options to go for so IMO appreciation might stagnate on these for a while); BUT (back on topic) it got me thinking about R5.

Even if this is the most hoarded UCS set I reckon it's knocking on R2's price tag door at x-mas (so another ~ 20% from where it is now).  
This ship is OT, in the new trilogy and likely going to be in Rogue one as well (maybe only as a cameo). That's some serious fan base coverage its got and I only think its going to beef up the demand.  If TLG are going to focus on playsets (AoH and perhaps new DS) with the snowspeeder now shelved till 2017... TF and S1 are great but i think the new AFOLs are going to look to R5 while its still relatively reasonably priced for a retired set.

That amazing 1st week of January sweetspot when it was up to almost double RRP and selling double figure amounts per day on ebay may well happen all over again.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

So with the resistance x-wing about to hit the shelves and Poe's already out I'm not sure what it spells for 9493 (yes its an OT x-wing but the general population now have a couple of other options to go for so IMO appreciation might stagnate on these for a while); BUT (back on topic) it got me thinking about R5.

Even if this is the most hoarded UCS set I reckon it's knocking on R2's price tag door at x-mas (so another ~ 20% from where it is now).  
This ship is OT, in the new trilogy and likely going to be in Rogue one as well (maybe only as a cameo). That's some serious fan base coverage its got and I only think its going to beef up the demand.  If TLG are going to focus on playsets (AoH and perhaps new DS) with the snowspeeder now shelved till 2017... TF and S1 are great but i think the new AFOLs are going to look to R5 while its still relatively reasonably priced for a retired set.

That's my thought exactly that the AFOL will want an X-Wing from the original trilogy. I built one, it's really a solid build and I enjoyed it very much. Display wise, it dwarfs the current Poe and Blue X-wing. I am hopeful that this will continue its upward trajectory...albeit slowly :) 

57 minutes ago, GiliusThunderhead said:

I hope you are right but in the USA it is looking like Red 5's price tag will intersect with 9493 before 10225. I would say give it 4 years but how long is TLG really going to go before they remake yet another UCS X-Wing?

10 minutes ago, asharerin said:

I hope you are right but in the USA it is looking like Red 5's price tag will intersect with 9493 before 10225. I would say give it 4 years but how long is TLG really going to go before they remake yet another UCS X-Wing?

True, but now they have 3 colour schemes to cycle through!

The price is creeping up nicely in the local Dutch craiglist equivalent.

NISB listings are on the mid to high side of €300 with few mid €200 listings. Those €200+ listings have been relisted so many times so the sellers are looking for mid €300 pricing.

Question though whether there is demand. Hopefully it will go up further by end of the year.

I sold one used with instructions recently for €260.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi,

I'm new here. I wanted to build an X-wing similar to the 10240 model. I say 'similar' because I can't afford one and am happy to make some sacrifices to detail if I can scrounge together most of the parts from my existing collection and purchasing some specific parts. I was hoping someone with the model might be able to tell me if they think it is feasible or if there are too many specific/custom parts. Thanks.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Harley said:

Hi,

I'm new here. I wanted to build an X-wing similar to the 10240 model. I say 'similar' because I can't afford one and am happy to make some sacrifices to detail if I can scrounge together most of the parts from my existing collection and purchasing some specific parts. I was hoping someone with the model might be able to tell me if they think it is feasible or if there are too many specific/custom parts. Thanks.

According to the inventory at brickset, the canopy is the only exclusive part. The rest of the parts are quite common and should be easy to get hold of at bricklink if needs be.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, tractorboy said:

According to the inventory at brickset, the canopy is the only exclusive part. The rest of the parts are quite common and should be easy to get hold of at bricklink if needs be.

Anyone think this just might be holding the price down? (Along with the glut of supply, of course.)

3 minutes ago, Martae54 said:

If only there were a movie with X-wings in it coming out to fuel it.. Oh wait. 

And right before the holidays, equals the perfect storm IMO. That's when I plan on offloading my mini fleet. 

I only have one Red 5 left, but I do have an entire gold squadron of 9495's ready for Christmas.

On another note, how likely do you guys think a Red 5 remake is? Considering what they've done with 10188 I think it's not at all that unlikely we'll see a remake within the next few years.

Just now, c_rpg said:

On another note, how likely do you guys think a Red 5 remake is? Considering what they've done with 10188 I think it's not at all that unlikely we'll see a remake within the next few years.

You can't compare the 10188 to every other set, there are so many sets that can be the next UCS that there's not going to be a Red Five remake for a long time.

10188 isn't going to be the basis on which Lego does their business for ever more, it's the Star Wars equivalent of the Police Station. The only reason they took it off sale at all was because it was dated and needed a revamp and it'll be on sale for another 8 years before they do the same thing again.

• Like 2