10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

Considering Dutch RRP, that´s not a huge increase and prices elsewhere have started the month at around 300 too. It seems more and more that the blip happened in early Jan and that now supply and demand are evening out, 300 is the benchmark and will be for some time to come.

I managed to buy the last copy of Red 5 X-wing at local lego shop, just after Christmas $249++ CDN.  In less than 2 months of being sold out. This set cannot be found locally for less than 400.00 CDN.  I see no end to the price of this set rising for some time to come.  I expect it to near the 500.00 mark by this years end.

29 minutes ago, Kujata said:

I managed to buy the last copy of Red 5 X-wing at local lego shop, just after Christmas $249++ CDN.  In less than 2 months of being sold out. This set cannot be found locally for less than 400.00 CDN.  I see no end to the price of this set rising for some time to come.  I expect it to near the 500.00 mark by this years end.

Good first post.

I expect it to reach $500 within one month from now. Summer recess kicking in it will probably go down to $450 before flying off to about $1750 around Christmas. 

36 minutes ago, Roy vd M. said:

Good first post.

I expect it to reach $500 within one month from now. Summer recess kicking in it will probably go down to $450 before flying off to about $1750 around Christmas. 

There is nothing wrong with what he posted. Online, this product seems to be relatively stable at ~400 CDN (~$291). I don't see why it can't hit the 500 CDN mark (~$360) during the Christmas season. It may grow slowly due to hoarding, but I think it will see solid returns in the long term.

• Like 1

On February 1, 2016 at 1:06 AM, lostontheverglow said:

I think the situation here is a lot more complicated. This oversimplifies it a bit. If you hold a $200 product and sell it in three months for a $25 profit, that would mean you would have to profit $300 from that same product over the course of 3 years ($25*12). But say you sold 12 products for a profit of $25 today and made $300. That is not the same as selling the same product for a profit of $300 3 years in the future. Taking things such as inflation and missed opportunities cost elsewhere, the $300 3 years in the future is probably going to have less of a value than $300 today.

Selling a product for $25 every 3 months might be great if it was sustainable. But, the reason you can flip something like 10240 is because it's such a great set for investment in terms of post EOL value (nice ship, known brand, etc.). The question is whether you can consistently find sets to sell after 3 months for $25.

This is why it's to your advantage to find that sweet spot in between these two scenarios. Because if you wait too long, you're losing the opportunity of cashing in on your product and reinvesting it in something else that will experience faster growth (because all products will plateau in price eventually). The other side being can you find the next set to invest in that will give you that quick return.

I think this is kind of just looking at the tip of the iceberg, and it's a lot more complicated. Like @Jeffrey_Dollars said, "different strokes for different folks."

Very good point. In other words, always consider the future value of money as part of your investment strategy

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, justapilgrim said:

Build the ultimate LEGO® Star Wars™ X-wing Starfighter! Vs Presenting the Ultimate Collector Series TIE Fighter™ – the iconic Imperial starfighter!

I haven't cracked any of mine so didn't realize it had a plate, but no where in description or box denotes UCS

It's true that TLG isn't entirely consistent with their UCS designation.

In another topic someone mentioned having contacted LEGO about this, and the response from LEGO was basically that if it's included in this list, it's officially a UCS set:

http://brickset.com/sets/theme-Star-Wars/subtheme-Ultimate-Collector-Series.

http://brickset.com/article/10443/sandcrawler-ucs-or-what

http://old.brickfanatics.co.uk/ucs-official-statement/

You folks really need to keep up... The explanation about UCS badging going forward is almost two years old. ;)

The Sandcrawler was the first to have the UCS badge. The UCS Slave 1 and UCS Tie Fighter have them. Until the boxes of the expected new UCS sets (Assault on Hoth, Snowspeeder, Death Star) show up in the wild, you won't know if LEGO truly considers them UCS material or not.

This does leave out whether the consider Ewok Village a UCS but frankly who cares.

• Like 1