10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

1 hour ago, Kenxxx said:

I bought one at my local USA Lego Store 3 days ago (Jan 05, 2016). They said it was their last... a week before they had dozens on the shelves.

It was their last...last one until the next shipment arrived that is. 

I've only got two of these, which is where my comfort level with this set is. There are several other $200 sets that I have more confidence in.

Ghostdad. These were widely available at Lego stores in the US last week. There were literally dozens at all of my local shops and now they're all sold out. Overall, prices are cratering as we experience after-holidays hangover. Tax refunds will start to roll in next month and I'm expecting a nice boost when TFA comes out on home video. Are you mad because this set is fetching 2x in Europe already? It's a complete different market and they ran out of stock several months before we did. 

Look. I'm more of a naysayer than most on this forum but you can take this set to the bank. I'm not talking about 400% growth or anything crazy, but you will get a solid return. Be patient. I will be pissed if TLG decides to make another massive run of this set and they still might.

Edited by pete411

4 hours ago, GhostDad said:

The set is not still in production, though.  It has been sold out on LEGO Shop at Home for at least four months or so.  ToO disappeared around the same time, and is showing a similar lack of growth.

As best I can recall from 2014, literally every retiring exclusive showed about double the growth over MSRP (say, 60% vs. 30%, going by Amazon sales price; this includes free shipping, but that's a constant so the comparison still holds) in the same span of time (measured from last date of availability on LEGO Shop at Home; I'm talking US market here, since I only loosely follow the euro market).

It's not just a question of those two sets.  There is a continuing trend here.  For example, GE is currently $40-$50 below where FB was at the same time last year, and GE actually retired earlier in 2014 than FB did in 2013.

3 hours ago, Alpinemaps said:

That's not true though.  Last production run that we know of was week 41.  So while it may not be in production anymore, it was very recently that it was taken out of production.

More importantly, though, is your assertion that it's been sold out for at least four months.  Look back over the last 11 pages of this topic - people were reporting it in store as late as Christmas week, which was only two weeks ago.

This quote is mine from the beginning of November:

Here are a small sample of others.  There could be more from more recently...I just stopped at December 22:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

4hr build time, 4hrs to apply the canopy stickers!

I didn't even bother with mine.  It is nice that Lego throws in 2 sets of them since they know it's a b.s. sticker and should have just printed it. 

Again, a UCS set gets less love from Lego than a base play set.  10240 canopy - sticker  Poe's X-Wing - printed   What am I missing here?  Did they realize their failure and decide to go back to printing canopies?

• Like 1

Ghostdad. These were widely available at Lego stores in the US last week. There were literally dozens at all of my local shops and now they're all sold out. Overall, prices are cratering as we experience after-holidays hangover. Tax refunds will start to roll in next month and I'm expecting a nice boost when TFA comes out on home video. Are you mad because this set is fetching 2x in Europe already? It's a complete different market and they ran out of stock several months before we did. 

Look. I'm more of a naysayer than most on this forum but you can take this set to the bank. I'm not talking about 400% growth or anything crazy, but you will get a solid return. Be patient. I will be pissed if TLG decides to make another massive run of this set and they still might.

Totally off topic- but yes I noticed a lag in sales lately as well and figured it was due to the Chrismas credit card bills rolling in.

I've got 16 each of 10237 and 10240, so I hope y'all are right.  But we need to apply consistent standards here.  I referred to availability at LEGO Shop at Home, that is to say, shop.lego.com, not brick and mortar stores.  The very fact that inventory is lingering at brick and mortar stores so long after being sold out at LEGO Shop at Home is not a good sign.

I have been following both these sets through brickpicker.com's stock tracker.  No one has to take my word for anything.  Just watch the Amazon third party seller prices, and compare them with what we saw in 2014 for, again, literally every retiring exclusive.  It's not even close.  If the recent mediocre appreciation of retiring exclusives doesn't bother you, that's fine, but there is no question that appreciation rates are dropping.  I watched ToO average around $250 shipped on Amazon throughout December, and R5 average about $10 more.  If that's enough of a post-retirement bump to make you confident about loading up next on EV, Sandcrawler, etc., go for it.  And never mind Pet Shop and Tower Bridge.  Looks like the grandkids will be picking up those puppies direct from LEGO Shop at Home at MSRP.

• Like 3

11 hours ago, Huskers1236 said:

I didn't even bother with mine.  It is nice that Lego throws in 2 sets of them since they know it's a b.s. sticker and should have just printed it. 

Again, a UCS set gets less love from Lego than a base play set.  10240 canopy - sticker  Poe's X-Wing - printed   What am I missing here?  Did they realize their failure and decide to go back to printing canopies?

Completely agree.  If I ran the company, I would order a production run of printed cockpit pieces in numbers roughly equal to the production of 10240.  Then offer them free, one each to anyone who mailed in a barcode from a 10240 box or could show through their LEGO Shop at Home order history that they had bought the set directly from Lego.  It would be a relatively inexpensive goodwill gesture for the company to make, and easily worthwhile to maintain UCS buyers' loyalty.  It would also be the right thing to do.

• Like 7

9 hours ago, GhostDad said:

I've got 16 each of 10237 and 10240, so I hope y'all are right.  But we need to apply consistent standards here.  I referred to availability at LEGO Shop at Home, that is to say, shop.lego.com, not brick and mortar stores.  The very fact that inventory is lingering at brick and mortar stores so long after being sold out at LEGO Shop at Home is not a good sign.

I have been following both these sets through brickpicker.com's stock tracker.  No one has to take my word for anything.  Just watch the Amazon third party seller prices, and compare them with what we saw in 2014 for, again, literally every retiring exclusive.  It's not even close.  If the recent mediocre appreciation of retiring exclusives doesn't bother you, that's fine, but there is no question that appreciation rates are dropping.  I watched ToO average around $250 shipped on Amazon throughout December, and R5 average about $10 more.  If that's enough of a post-retirement bump to make you confident about loading up next on EV, Sandcrawler, etc., go for it.  And never mind Pet Shop and Tower Bridge.  Looks like the grandkids will be picking up those puppies direct from LEGO Shop at Home at MSRP.

what do you think is the reason for shrinking appreciation?

39 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

January sales... ;P

7 hours ago, Hogi said:

what do you think is the reason for shrinking appreciation?

For the big exclusives, I think the cause is primarily the ever-growing number of resellers.  It's really easy for anyone with a couple thousand dollars/euros to set aside a closet somewhere and fill it to the ceiling with Red 5's and Tower of Orthancs.  Add to that low barrier to entry the general opinion that Lego investing is 'low risk' compared with traditional investments like stocks or bonds (and the fact that both of those are still quite pricey; in Europe half the sovereign debt being issued today yields negative interest rates!), and lots of folks conclude that Lego is the safe, reliably profitable way to park their money.  Of course, as more people start to believe this, it becomes less and less true.

• Like 4

9 hours ago, tractorboy said:

Just shows the difference between sold prices in the UK and Germany. You can see a similar difference for example with the set 21301 Birds: sold above €100 in the UK, sold for around €90 in Germany.