10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

6 minutes ago, LahH001 said:

I think similar to the tumbler this is people who have been caught out and now panicking when they see the initial price jumps. Also the current SW hype which coincided with the retirement and the new R1 film next year are fuelling demand. I can see this going up further in the short term before settling back in the medium term.

Caught out? Did I miss something? It was available for 2.5 years.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

It´s hard for me to believe that genuine buyers who took so long to put this one to bed at SAH EU are now willing to pay 50% more, just a week later. They obviously knew the set existed or it would have taken longer to appreciate as people start discovering lego star wars.

I don't find it hard to believe at all. People often leave things until it's too late. Then it's a simple choice of pay 50% more now or 150% later.

Edited by tractorboy

And to be fair the timing on this one going coinciding with the release of the new film was pretty good.  Raises its visibility coupled with Lego being the number one toy.  But i can see some end buyers getting spooked.  If last week you were sat waiting to save a few $$$ on ebay by getting a set on auction at 10% under MRSP.  Then it retires and the sets suddenly go to 25% > RRP.  Impulse buying and with all the media about how pricey retired sets get... there are bound to be some people who read it as thats the norm with every set so paying 50% above RRP is still a deal.

Still find it hard to believe that anyone who was only considering buying it at MRSP last week would suddenly now be shocked into pulling the trigger at the levels they're at now.  This one has speculation buying written all over it (and i think people don't realize that what levels it has to go to from now to make a profit after fees, shipping etc;  If you're buying at £300 it has to go to £250 to break even and you've really got to be thinking £400 to make it worth while).  

Anyway back to the set!  If i didn't own one not sure I'd be paying the current prices (I'm move on to S1) but 20% above RRP... for sure now its retired (so if prices "crash" I think thats where they'd go).

8 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

I take your point - it happened with 7965 too, fair enough. But with a set like this the % of resellers as part of the purchasing community is probably higher.

Yeah maybe. Resellers also had 2.5 years to buy this set though. And you would think resellers would be less likely to miss out on a potentially big set than a regular buyer. Maybe you could argue that some resellers just saw how quickly the set rose and decided to grab another one. For regular buyers, many would have had other things on their mind over Christmas, and aren't on BP every day keeping track of when a set might retire, like we are.

I agree that it could be important though. If it's resellers who are pushing the price up and not regular buyers, that's not a good situation. I don't think it's a worry yet, but it could be a problem in the future.

5 minutes ago, Lego_Yoda said:

Well right now if you're in the UK you may as well have picked up a couple, listed them on ebay for a 35% profit after fees etc and driven straight to the post office.  By the time you arrived they'd be sold :) 

I'm in US. I think it's still widely available in Lego stores.

9 minutes ago, yang said:

I'm in US. I think it's still widely available in Lego stores.

If you're not convinced on this one then good call.  From what I've gleamed on here its no where near as difficult to come by here at close to RRP then it is over state side. 

Of all the ships in the SW universe i think this has the highest potential of a remake already (I'd even say there'd be another one of these before MF albeit in a different color scheme).

8 minutes ago, Lego_Yoda said:

If you're not convinced on this one then good call.  From what I've gleamed on here its no where near as difficult to come by here at close to RRP then it is over state side. 

Of all the ships in the SW universe i think this has the highest potential of a remake already (I'd even say there'd be another one of these before MF albeit in a different color scheme).

You mean this?

We're not going to see a remake of a UCS X-Wing for a very long time. This is the second UCS X-Wing already.

Guest brickcrazyhouse
11 minutes ago, labfreak7 said:

Zero. Not planning to buy any so these are certain to take off

ditto. poll needs an option

just a quick question: how is adding zero as an answer option contributing to finding out how many x-wings we have stocked up on? seems a bit pointless IMO

Not having zero = allowing you to estimate the mean holdings of sellers who've bought in only

Having zero = allowing you to estimate the mean holdings across all sellers

The zero option provides a great deal of useful context for the other data.