10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

OK maybe i need to put my glasses on but is it the DS2 thats pictured on the front of the box on the LHS?  I know someone was flying red 5 at the battle of endor (and ended up crashing into a SD) but I thought this was supposed to be Lukes one (although now looking at it wondering how it would hold up with the red plates replaced with blue ones to give a more TFA style).

8 minutes ago, maestro said:

How much do you think these Red 5s will reach?

I'm shocked at what they're going for at the moment.  Might be one of those temp initial spikes when a set retires but given the performance of 9493 maybe not.

13 minutes ago, legone3 said:

This is one of the few that I think demand may exceed supply in the next 2 to 3 years. Its heavily hoarded but the demand may be high enough to absorb it.

As high as the perceived 'hoarding' of this set may be, i still know that when i went into several (3 different) Lego stores in early 2015, the sets had seal codes from July/August of 2013. 

This thing didn't sell for a lonnnnnnnnng time for many reasons.

Perceived high price to brick ratio, no exclusive figs, rehash, etc.

I still think this thing is UNDER hoarded relative to other modern sets, but we'll find out soon enough.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Lego_Yoda said:

OK maybe i need to put my glasses on but is it the DS2 thats pictured on the front of the box on the LHS?  I know someone was flying red 5 at the battle of endor (and ended up crashing into a SD) but I thought this was supposed to be Lukes one (although now looking at it wondering how it would hold up with the red plates replaced with blue ones to give a more TFA style).

I'm shocked at what they're going for at the moment.  Might be one of those temp initial spikes when a set retires but given the performance of 9493 maybe not.

The thing with a stampede is you only need 2 people to buy the same set within an hour and everyone else (including resellers who missed number) go nuts cos they think they are going to run out. Later, you only need a day to pass with no sales and the whole thing stops. Now we are at the typical RRP+ 50% impasse where no one is buying and sellers are looking at each other. The UK auctions that end this weekend will tell us more.

Just noticed that prices are 400 euros or more at every EU Amazon except Italy where there are 4 separate sellers under 300 with 1 in stock each. Prices probably won´t rise on Ebay much until the Italian sellers are out or raise their prices. In Gemany, 1 seller at 500 euros so I guess that´s why people were spooked.

Bricklink minimum is now 270 but we don´t know what shipping costs the sellers add and being Scandinavian it is likely to be expensive.

16 minutes ago, teohwp85 said:

Where's your store?

Nice try!

7 minutes ago, Roy vd M. said:

Last week I saw five Red 5's at TRU in the city of Paris (Quatre Saisons shopping mall), discounted to 200 euro. Perhaps one or two are still there. 

I´d give them 20 minutes not to be!

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, baublitz said:

Sounds good... contemplating the same myself. Question for all, what is a seal code and should i NOT buy a certain box if it doesn't have the right code?

Thanks!

Only if there is a known defect or missing parts. Seal codes show when the product was packed just like food.

5 minutes ago, baublitz said:

Sounds good... contemplating the same myself. Question for all, what is a seal code and should i NOT buy a certain box if it doesn't have the right code?

Thanks!

Seal code is the 4 digit code on the tape seal.  Example you would see is 42R5.  This code means 42nd month of year "5" or 2015.  The 3rd digit, the letter, is the code for the factory it was made in.  In the US, we get R codes for sets made in Mexico.  Many Europeans will see S codes.  There are really no good or bad seal codes unless there is a known issue with the set, say early runs of Wall-E.  10240 has not had any quality issues that I know of.

I don't see why anybody is hesitant to buy this set unless they were sitting on a mountain of them.  In the short time they have been unavailable online, they have already jumped to the $260-$280 range depending on the sale.  Probably higher on Amazon.  This is with it still being available on brick and mortar stores.  When it gone for good, it will take off.  Is it a $1000 set?  No, probably not, but it will do well.

Ok I am going to ask for some secrets here but does anyone have any methods to determine/make an educated guess at who the buyers of these (on ebay say) are?  
I'm interested if its end users who were sitting on the fence on this one and only decided to pull their finger out now its retired or a few people buying up all the stock.

Just trying to educate myself on how much of this is SW and lego fans buying to build and how much is speculation for further appreciation.