10240 - UCS: Red Five X-wing Starfighter

Mos_Eisley

How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?  

336 members have voted

1. 1. How many 10240 X-Wing sets do you own?

• 2 to 5
    • 6 to 10
    • 11+
    • ZERO

This poll is closed to new votes

57 minutes ago, Raidomso said:

If you look at bricklink 5 were sold @ 300€ each in one purchase. This indicates to me that the inflated price is mainly driven by investors.

A quick flip at this time may be advised.

MSRP is 220.

300E is almost the same level for such a set. A waste of time unless you got them at 150E net

12 minutes ago, ZULU said:

MSRP is 220.

300E is almost the same level for such a set. A waste of time unless you got them at 150E net

Some of us paid less than that so it´s not a waste of time! Gotta sell X wings to finance the purchase of more sea cows - oh, wait....

• Like 2

So, the last auction for today ended at 317 GBP - the second highest price since retirement! Average sale price around 380 euros with 5 sold.

As all but one of the auctions were above the benchmark BIN price of 350, one would expect those sets to be hoovered up fairly soon.

Edited by valenciaeric

I was just looking at this myself.  Have to say I'm quite surprised its got this high so quickly - the SW fever is strong with this one.  Although at these prices there is more supply coming onto ebay (in the UK anyway) so I'd expect any further appreciation to be slowed (but anything listed at £280 or below is being swept up immediately).

A week after retirement and already going for levels similar to HH :mda:.

One thing (although i could sit here and list quite a few actually) that I think will help this set (regardless who's buying this set) in the medium term is that the UCS tie will be out at a couple more years.  People get a TIE but wait.... whats missing here..... that's right! An R5 to display right along side it.  2 great complimenting sets IMO.

3 hours ago, ZULU said:

MSRP is 220.

If you get out now at 340€ after fees, which seems doable, that's an amazing CAGR, 

All I'm saying is that if you are one of those investors that dumps fairly quickly (1 year of apreciation or so) it actually may be wisest to sell now.

I think we are reaching a price point very soon at which it will be stuck.

Or I'm wrong and this set is a real sleeper.

Either way I'm happy, I got in last week for a big number of sets so I'll be doing both.

14 hours ago, Lego_Yoda said:

... I'm quite surprised its got this high so quickly ...

We can still find these at the Lego store in USA, so prices are more under control here.  But I might agree with other recent posts... if you have "more than you need" of Red 5, and prices have taken a surprising jump, you might be wise to sell at least one or two, and take some profit.  I learned this with the Town Hall and Arkham Asylum last year. I had a stock of 4 or 5 each. When prices took a big leap early on, I sold one of each. I felt like a fool at the time, but it was the smartest thing I ever did. I should have sold more.

• Like 1

Don't want to derail this topic but has anyone on here built 7191 & R5?  Wondering if i should trade my trashed box (but still sealed R5) for a used 7191 (complete but no box).

As an investment I'd say the R5 is probably the better option but if I don't make the trade I'm going to build it.  From a build & future investment perspective any opinions on the better option?  Used R5 or used 7191 (at the moment I'm leaning towards the trade).

Interesting stats from bricklink on sales in euros:

10227 Bwing: 5 sold in Jan, 56 listings and minimum 290 euros

10225 R2: 3 sold, 63 listed, min price 300

10240 Red5: 14 sold, 64 listings, min 298 euros

Similar stats for similarly priced sets retired in the last 3 years.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, valenciaeric said:

Interesting stats from bricklink on sales in euros:

10227 Bwing: 5 sold in Jan, 56 listings and minimum 290 euros

10225 R2: 3 sold, 63 listed, min price 300

10240 Red5: 14 sold, 64 listings, min 298 euros

Similar stats for similarly priced sets retired in the last 3 years.

Cheers.  
Just going to add the brickset owned vs wanted numbers on these (might be useful to review this data in 6M).  I know this represents a relatively small sample of the population (and WW, not just Europe so coupling it with the above might be as worthwhile as reading horoscopes) but its probably big enough to infer some general trends.

10227 Bwing: Owned: 3,614, Wanted 3,239

10225 R2: Owned: 5,144, Wanted 3,655

10240 Red5: Owned: 6,245, Wanted 3,330

(I'd be willing to bet that those circa 3,300 people who want each set are the same population).  But if the sold prices and Owned/Wanted numbers start to diverge or move in unison then i think it might tell me something.

This week should see the end to the recent madness. Entry price is now at a level to discourage resellers, the initial panic is over and there are more sets coming onto the market than being sold. Next step is for the impatient to start undercutting and the price will fall down a little bit, even.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Haay said:

The early retirement prices were crazy and unrealistic. I hope the bubble is now getting deflated to proper prices again, and when the air has gone out of it and QFLL 'scum' have sold off their stock, I hope the realistic price will steadily climb to solid levels. :) 

1 hour ago, josh_676 said:

It's a long game, if the prices went a bit higher in Aus (400 AUD tops, about 200 GBP) I would have sold one or two, but at 400 AUD, you're making 70 dollars on MSRP once all is told. Not worth it. 

Christmas time next year may be a different story.

Absolutely! However it is interesting to chart the progress of sets that retire at the same time - maybe 10240 will now stay at around 350-380 for some weeks and Tumbler will start to make gains and catch it up. Perhaps it was the movie, perhaps it was reseller fuelled.